VICBREW 2015

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Martin ...Question...Sorry just for clarification
I entered a mead about 2 weeks ago it was in a mini "champagne like" bottle (thicker glass).. does it still qualify or do I need to pull it out and pick it up at VICBrew...or substitute it for another bottle??? I do not want the bottles being wasted as the mead was a VERY limited supply and over a year old in storage..

cheers

Yob said:
PET can handle it..
Not totally wed to glass. In fact until recently most of my beers were bottled in PET, but decided that for my aged beers that I would go with glass this time and it has come back to bite me in the arse. Obviously now I know champagne bottle won't be accepted I will bottle a portion of the next batch of my Belgian strong ale into some PET bottles. Might have to do a head to head comparison of the glass vs PET aged Belgian dark strong ale.

You seem to be major proponent for PET bottles, PETBottleDealzAustralia? :p

I'm a supporter of not having exploding glass on the property..

Gave away my capper to a mate for his cider the other day, I rekon if I want to age some, growlers are the go

I should add, never had one of my own explode, only other people's bottles

I must admit from a safety point of view i sorta agree with yob even tho i bottle in glass. .. but starting to look at pet..Only brews ever exploded in my shed are from other people.. food for though for the competition organisers i guess.. its all a risk management approach..

Grainer said:
Martin ...Question...Sorry just for clarification
I entered a mead about 2 weeks ago it was in a mini "champagne like" bottle (thicker glass).. does it still qualify or do I need to pull it out and pick it up at VICBrew...or substitute it for another bottle??? I do not want the bottles being wasted as the mead was a VERY limited supply and over a year old in storage..

cheers
OK, this is a different matter & I'll expand for clarification:

The reason for excluding 750+ml champagne bottles is because they are invariably "over-sized" for the crates we use for storing/stacking entries & creates a logistic & organisational PITA, as they have to be stored & sourced separately from everything else. This is not an exclusion of the "type" of bottles per-se.

As long as your "mini" is a single-bottle entry & minimum 500ml, I'm guessing it'll probably fit into our crates. It fits the entry rules & will be accepted. If it doesn't fit in our crates because I'm guessing wrong about it's dimensions, then I'll give you my personal undertaking to deal with it for you. Fair enough?

Thank you.. That helps .. Entry stands as entered .. Now fingers crossed.. Just hope I get to taste the mead. As I have never tasted it before...is it allowed to talk to the head steward to put some if the leftovers of the entry aside once it has been judged? It has been so long since I made it and I only had 6 bottles...

Grainer said:
Thank you.. That helps .. Entry stands as entered .. Now fingers crossed.. Just hope I get to taste the mead. As I have never tasted it before...is it allowed to talk to the head steward to put some if the leftovers of the entry aside once it has been judged? It has been so long since I made it and I only had 6 bottles...
No problems, mate. This stuff is a fine juggling act, but common sense must prevail....

When are you stewarding? From memory, it's Sunday when the meads are likely to come out, so if you want, I can allocate you the stewarding job for the category & you can keep an eye on the jug (& do a "QA-test" before it goes to the judges....one of the "perks" of Stewarding...... ;) ).

Edit: You can talk to me about anything you like, but I'd prefer not to have D&M's with you about that rash...... :blink:

I asked cause I am not stewarding... I am judging.. Not sure about etiquette etc...not sure which category yet.. I asked for farmhouse tho.. Love sours ATM

cant judge your own entry, someone needs to sub when your entry comes out if you are judging that flight.. best to judge another cat.

OK, I'll sort it out with you via PM's & on the day. I've got that much on my plate ATM, I'm likely to forget....

MartinOC said:
Sorry, I should've let you know I sent this issue to the Compmaster admin. to look at first thing this morning. Waiting on a reply (or there will be a response from one of them directly here).
Hey Martin haven't heard back yet, was hoping to drop my beer off tomorrow to GBHB, but my entry is not paid for and finalised, I assume we get a barcode to print and stick onto the bottle as well is that correct?

Grainer said:
Compmaster changed so all my entries have no descriptions.. just on the bottles.. but the last beer i put in late has compmaster descriptions.
Every competition can define its own entry form... the extra questions didnt get copied across from last year's entry form.

If anyone feels they want that information added on their entry, just PM me the entry number and vital stats and I'mm get them put in.

Cheers,

Andy

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Got my steward app in and trying to paid for my brew entry, I select 'pay for my entries' and it just says 'payment pending'. What happens next?

Should add from there all i cant seem to do is cancel payments and it goes back one step, weird?
Could you PM me your username and entry number so I can check this out for yoyu?

Thanks

Andy

Andy_Chil said:
I used Comp Master about four weeks ago to enter and was not prompted for any OG FG yeast etc. do I need to do anything about this prior to dropping off my bottles next week?
Shoot me a PM with entry number and vital stats and I'll add them in there manually for you.

Andy

A couple of people have found themselves stuck in the payment process this time around. If you see "payments pending" in your "myEntries" screen, you can reset the payment process by clicking on the "clear pending payments" link at the bottom of the screen. This will let you start it over again.

Feel free to drop me a PM if anyone has hassles!

Cheers,

Andy

For anyone trying to get onto compmaster at the moment we appear to have a denial of service attack hitting the hosting servers. I'll let you know once it's under control again.

Andy

Andyd said:
For anyone trying to get onto compmaster at the moment we appear to have a denial of service attack hitting the hosting servers. I'll let you know once it's under control again.

Andy
Bet its the buggers from NSW!

Being a completely organised person I just logged on to submit my entries. Feel like swearign and cant even down a few as I'll be too far away from sobriety to actually get the entries in...

I'm assuming cash in an envelope for the paper entries is OK? Haven't had a cheque book for years

Yep, no problems. As long as you get your entry (with the dosh in an envelope attached) to one of the drop-offs before COB tomorrow, it's all good.

Actually, now I remember to do this.....

ENTRIES CLOSE TOMORROW & MUST BE LEFT AT ONE OF THE DROP-OFF POINTS BY COB TOMORROW 12/9/15.

Latest posts

Back