VIC-Xmas 2016 Case-Swap Recipe (Cocko's place)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mayor of mildura said:
Something to bear in mind when scaling up recipes is hop utilisation. I notice your spreadsheet doesn't allow for this. I've had issues with bitterness going from a recipe for 20l to 120l so i assume going to 500l will also be an issue. Last year at Bandicoot Grant allowed for a 10% increase in his recipe and it seemed pretty spot on to me.
I believe Hop utilisation is generally calculated at these brews by Yob's thumb measurement, invariably that'd come in at 10%+ increase

Fwiw, I'm thinking of doing either half or all of the Brewers Gold as FWH, so I'll adjust the hops accordingly after Yob learns the AA% of the hops batches he's ordered.

I'm thinking of FWH as in my experience it seems to produce a more solid but smooth bittering with possibly a little (more) flavour coming through. But, as importantly, I've found it eliminates the time factor in utilization calculations (or rather, in my brew day), so it doesn't matter if it sits there for an extra 10, 20 or 40mins (which I believe is what happens with these massive brews, to result in that extra 10%). The magic of FWH!!

malt junkie said:
I believe Hop utilisation is generally calculated at these brews by Yob's thumb measurement, invariably that'd come in at 10%+ increase
Does that mean that a few kilos of Simcoe at flame out is still on the cards?

Curly79 said:
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1479873635.546168.jpg
Correct me if if wrong but I thought that 1 little HX and OTS element did the job for the winter case swap brew?
Yes

MartinOC said:
Stu,

Word to the wise - keep this KISS as possible (for your own sanity as much as anything else!). You're head-honcho on this one, but it doesn't need to be perfect, so don't strive (or stress) for it. We're having fun & making beer - that's all that really matters.

Single infusion for target @ 65C across all the MT's (kinda thick). Adjust & maintain with periodic infusions of boiling water & much stirrage-action (which we can do no problems), or maintain with HX's (if we have them available). If there's variation, just go with it - RDWHAHB. Mash-out with boiling water.

The rest is transfers, which is gear-dependent & we can swap & change things as-required.

We can work all this out over a few bevvies on the Friday night (as long as Adam doesn't drink too much & come up with 20 different ways of achieving the same end-point.... :p ).

The rest gets worked-out on the fly & it always ends well, so don't try to over-think it. You've got lots of experienced CS brains available to pick & we'll all help out.

All you have to do is make decisions & tell people what to do....... :chug:
Yes

mayor of mildura said:
Something to bear in mind when scaling up recipes is hop utilisation. I notice your spreadsheet doesn't allow for this. I've had issues with bitterness going from a recipe for 20l to 120l so i assume going to 500l will also be an issue. Last year at Bandicoot Grant allowed for a 10% increase in his recipe and it seemed pretty spot on to me.
Yes

The majority of the swaps I have attended, we have mashed in for each MLT at different times. From memory we have done a Protein Rest nearly always at 55c and then used HEX to ramp up to Sacc Rest. Once ramped, move to the next MLT, rinse and repeat.

This also heaps with sparging, as you can only do one at once. My preference is buckets for the sparge :ph34r:

EDIT: Forgot to add, once we did do 3 different temp mashes on 3 MLTs too. 1xBeta 2xAlpha, but I am sure we did a Protein Rest on them too.

Fairies nuts, Idzy.
I've mainly arrived mid-mash, so i've normally missed the initial protein rest ;)

If you're fairly confident we'll have the capacity to achieve the ramping required to get it from 55 to 65, then 65 to 78 in reasonable time, then i'm happy to go with that - i generally prefer to do the 55 step in my own brewing. I guess we'll see what the HEX options are on the day.

And whatever gets the sparge water into the MLTs is fine by me :D

technobabble66 said:
And whatever gets the sparge water into the MLTs is fine by me :D
I had envisioned 3-4 grown men under the influence of excess alcohol dressed as garden Gnomes, using watering cans filled with 80C sparge water & gathered-around the MLT's in succession as the need arises. :blink: I can provide the pointy-hats & fake beards...?

It's a Kodak-moment if ever there was one....

malt junkie said:
If there's decent beer involved I can be gnome.
What about being an Oompa-Loompa?

"What do you get from a Case-swapping binge? A pain in the liver & an eyebrow that's singed....

You get no... You get no.... You get no Commercials......."etc..etc...

At this point, it's usually over to Grumpy Paul to come-up with inappropriate poetry/ode/limerick or something witty in iambic pentameter... :)

What's the go with cubes?

Are we assuming everybody will fill a 15 lt FWK type (that fit 17 lt when hot) or a 20 lt cube-shaped cube (holds 23 lt hot)?

It could make a major impact on your volume calculations.

Believe we've previously stuck with 20L and filled them to that. Anyone who brought a larger one typically went home with a rather beat up cube...

MartinOC said:
What about being an Oompa-Loompa?

"What do you get from a Case-swapping binge? A pain in the liver & an eyebrow that's singed....

You get no... You get no.... You get no Commercials......."etc..etc...

At this point, it's usually over to Grumpy Paul to come-up with inappropriate poetry/ode/limerick or something witty in iambic pentameter... :)
All my AHB poetry attempts are done on work time - so I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Why waste my evening when I can do it whilst getting paid for it.

And I have to admit my poetic efforts are usually just - google a poem or song lyric and change a few words to suit the swap/brew/drunked shenanagins theme.

This time I might re-work a classic - "Tie me kangaroo down sport".

It could become "Brew in Kangaroo Ground -swap"

Followed by several attempts to compare Cocko to Rolf Harris....

Stay tuned...

Back