VIC-Xmas 2016 Case-Swap Recipe (Cocko's place)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Correction to the ingredients list - Sub. Weyermann Pale malt for the Dingemans.

Ah yes - forgot we had to sub.
Thanks, Martin.

And I forgot to add, we drew another ~100L off the second runnings to do a lower gravity Partigyle brew. Resulted in ~85L into cubes. Not sure of gravity, somewhere between 1.040-50?

Oh word of warning - 3787/530 goes off like a wheat yeast so with a 1.076 beer it'll necessitate some blowoff consideration. In the case of 3787, it settles all creamy-like when finished and doesn't really drop unless chilled.

Did anyone check, or rather, remember the OG of the 2nd runnings when it went into the cubes?

I vaguely recall 1.045, but that could be me making stuff up :D

Oh, and fwiw, for anyone who got more than the 1kg of D2, i *think* the corrected amount of D2 to add to the Westy 12 clone is 1.14kg, *assuming* the OG of the wort out of the cube is actually 1.076.
That gravity is yet to be confirmed and may be a bit off, which would alter that D2 estimation.
... the joys of variables in these massive brewing sessions on big beers :unsure: :lol:

If you only have the 1kg, don't stress, it'll still get you 95% of the way to a clone, and it'll still be a damn tasty Dark Strong!

technobabble66 said:
Did anyone check, or rather, remember the OG of the 2nd runnings when it went into the cubes?

I vaguely recall 1.045, but that could be me making stuff up :D
I took a refract. reading with one that was floating about & it read 1048, but after I cleaned it & looked again with water on the plate, it was reading a few points BELOW 1.000!?!?!

The conclusion is that it was somewhere between 1045 & 1048 (Pre-boil gravity was 1038).

Fantastic. Thanks, Martin!

Any ideas what to do with the low grav partigyle?
Just do a basic Saison as a "starter"? If so, would you bother adding a little sugar or Amber syrup to it?

For the record, I got a 21L cube of Westy12 wort, a little 10L extra cube of the Westy clone wort, plus a 21L cube of the partigyle wort.
I was thinking of, along with the main cube going towards the proper clone (10%), the 10L would be diluted out a little and have 500g Amber syrup & 100g steeped Spec B added to it to make up a Dubbel (~6%)
So i was thinking to use the low grav partigyle to make a Saison (~5%), maybe with 100-200g sugar (maybe slightly caramelised to orange) or Amber syrup.
Basically, i would run the WLP-530 on the Saison, then the Dubbel, and finally the Westy12.

Other options included making the 10L cube into a small batch of either a stronger Dubbel, a Golden Strong, or a Tripel. The problem being they might be too high in alcohol and so leave the yeast in poor health for when they get to do the third batch, the Westy 12. It'd be possible to split the yeast cake of the Saison, but that's a bit more faffing around - not sure if it's worth it! Though i must admit i'm kinda curious as to how the same wort but with Amber Syrup added would turn out compared to the intended Westy12 clone with D2.
A final option is to keep it for much later, when i intend to do a run of Aussie ales - save the 10L cube for a Golden Strong Aussie!

Any thoughts?

I myself would go the "saison" idea and work the clone on part or all of the cake (probably part). The yeast will be in great health and raring to go.

Curious about the saison (pronounced "say-sun" in my ocker internal voice) idea with WLP530, you'd really need the right yeast to make a saison else it will simply be a lighter Belgian ale. I definitely wouldn't go to a dubbel then the Westy, the yeast won't be treated properly. Personally I would go -
  1. Nuke the utter shit out of your brewery Stu
Partigyle -
  • 10.5l Belgian Ale with WLP530, ~1l starter
  • 10.5 Saison using whatever yeast
Southycockeren '16 -
  • 21l pitched onto Belgian ale yeast cake
  • 10l with amber syrup and a big pitch of a similar Belgian yeast, like WLP550
That way you'll have appropriate pitches and really tell the difference between all the yeasts.

TheWiggman said:
Curious about the saison (pronounced "say-sun" in my ocker internal voice) idea with WLP530, you'd really need the right yeast to make a saison else it will simply be a lighter Belgian ale. I definitely wouldn't go to a dubbel then the Westy, the yeast won't be treated properly. Personally I would go -
  1. Nuke the utter shit out of your brewery Stu
Partigyle -
  • 10.5l Belgian Ale with WLP530, ~1l starter
  • 10.5 Saison using whatever yeast
Southycockeren '16 -
  • 21l pitched onto Belgian ale yeast cake
  • 10l with amber syrup and a big pitch of a similar Belgian yeast, like WLP550
That way you'll have appropriate pitches and really tell the difference between all the yeasts.
I like this idea.

I too have a cube of the partigyle may throw some WLP545 at it with some amber for a nice double.

WLP530 should be in the post today or tomorrow.

My stir plate is going to be busy :D

Thanks v much for your suggestions, Mardoo, Wiggas & MJ!

I was really hoping to avoid buying another yeast, as the only Belgian strain i currently have is WLP530.
However, i'm fairly keen to knock out a Saison for summer, and it might be good to use that one on the possible Dubbel.
OTOH, that'll mean lots of small FV batches & faffing around (Boooo!)

Don't worry Leigh, currently boiling sod perch & water to pour into the FVs.
I thought you like sour beers!! :lol:

Ok. **** it. Getting WLP-566 from the local Homemakeit in Rez (sorry Cleverbrewing :( - i wanted to pitch it today! (& save on postage)).
Goddammit, more cash being spent. But i'm keen for a summer Saison, and this looks to be the best for the result i'm after.

So what i might try to do is, as Wiggas outlined:

a) 21L Partigyle cube (~1.045) split into 2:
10.5L with WLP530, as a "starter" for the Westy 12 clone
10.5L with WLP566, as a Summer Saison, and buggerit, i'll probably use it as a "starter" for the Dubbel (/Red Saison - given it's a Saison yeast).

B) 21L Westy12 cube made into Westy12 (duh!), with added D2.

c) 10L Westy12 cube made into a Dubbel, with added Amber syrup & steeped Spec B

Edit: went to correct the emoticon from the "b + )" combo, but it seems kinda appropriate so its been left. A bit like a Freudian slip :lol:

MartinOC said:
Today - 20 minutes from order receipt to despatch... :)
Love ya work mate!! Thanks :beerbang:

Guess I know what I'll be spinning up first then, time to christen that shiny conical from Droid, plenty of head space, though I''ll still put a blow off on.

So I mentioned to a few at the swap that I have a Westy XII clone fermenting at the moment. Took my first gravity reading tonight and it's torn down from 1.090 to 1.006 in just 16 days. Fermented with the Gigayeast Belgian ale blend. For those curious, my ferment and candi syrup additions were as follows.

- full cake pitch
- oxygenate at pitching and again at 12 hours
- pitched at 18c and raised to 22c @ 1 degree per day
- 3 separate syrup additions (each 450g or maybe mililitres...) on 27/11, 30/11 & 4/12.

Am surprised just how smooth this is given it is a 16 day old 11% beer. No hot fusals at all just rich dark fruits and a hit of spice from the yeast. My first time using candi syrup and (not that I have a baseline to compare with) the staggered additions seemed to work.

AJ80 said:
So I mentioned to a few at the swap that I have a Westy XII clone fermenting at the moment. Took my first gravity reading tonight and it's torn down from 1.090 to 1.006 in just 16 days. Fermented with the Gigayeast Belgian ale blend. For those curious, my ferment and candi syrup additions were as follows.

- full cake pitch
- oxygenate at pitching and again at 12 hours
- pitched at 18c and raised to 22c @ 1 degree per day
- 3 separate syrup additions (each 450g or maybe mililitres...) on 27/11, 30/11 & 4/12.

Am surprised just how smooth this is given it is a 16 day old 11% beer. No hot fusals at all just rich dark fruits and a hit of spice from the yeast. My first time using candi syrup and (not that I have a baseline to compare with) the staggered additions seemed to work.
Where, oh where, is the bookmark button, so I can find this post again in 3 months when I finally pitch my cube?

Mardoo said:
So those additions are day 6, day 9 and day 13?
That's a much better way of putting it :)

Was aiming to do the third addition on day 12, but the swap got in the road.

Question: Did ALL the cubes of the main batch get dosed with Yob's "care package" additions (except Mardoo's) on filling?

Back