Vic Case Swap Equipment....ongoing..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been contemplating the idea of a Big Brew club for some time now. I've talked about it some with Adam, and plan to some more. It seems that making some informal club of folks who want to work on Adam's big system from time to time might be a way to get the kinks ironed out in this system, plan what reasonable changes need to be made to the system, get the funds together to do that, and brew some beer. Because beer.

Keen to be involved in this and happy to throw my hat in the ring when it comes to having anything made up to improve the current set up that I saw you guys using at the xmas bash.
If a generator is an option I could assist with a 600L kettle with 30kW heating in the near future. If the solution is a non generator variety then happy to help out with a HERMS or similar setup to run on either electricity(suitable for residential connection off multiple circuits) or maybe even gas as I have a sketch of something I was looking to build one day using a Rinnai gas hot water heater on LPG to heat recirculation water for the mash using indirect heat exchange..

Had 5 minutes spare last weekend so had a crack at designing something that could do large volume portably(as much as possible anyway). Starting with the easiest first I have ordered the materials to build a 900L BFK! will be gas fired so will build a stand and allow as many burners as required to sit beneath. Has tangential out and inlet to allow hooking up a pump for WP. I have drawn something up and will get it fabricated in the next month or so, happy for people to PM me with anything that should be incorporated. Plan to make it available to anyone wanting to get together and do some larger scale stuff.

80% worked through a design for a portable LPG instantaneous hot water heater system to heat mash and sparge water. If there's any plumbers out there that can help out with sourcing a suitable heater, that would be great. Currently thinking a Rinnai HD unit that can heat to 85 deg C via pumped recirculation.

Input/ideas would be good.

BFK??? Big F@$koff Kettle?? Awesome work only thought would be 2 x outets with pickups, so we can cube twice as fast. Are you using TC connections?

Correct, Big F@$king Kettle. Have gone with a 1.5" outlet with triclamp connection. Might bump it up to 2" so it could have two hose barbs to fill 2 x cubes at a time, good idea.

Wow, husky.
That's a pretty f@$&#%g impressive effort. Very generous of you!
One quick thought, is it worth the hassle of plumbing in an inlet/outlet solely for whirlpooling?
I'm only thinking that doing the WP on idzys 600L with a big mash paddle wasn't really that difficult.
Obviously 900L could make it significantly less practical, and automated anything is always better [emoji41] But if it's a hassle it would be along way down the priority list.
Cheers

husky said:
Correct, Big F@$king Kettle. Have gone with a 1.5" outlet with triclamp connection. Might bump it up to 2" so it could have two hose barbs to fill 2 x cubes at a time, good idea.
1.5" is pretty standard, I'd stick with that and T off to 2 valves, the ID will be around 1" anyway. Plenty of flow for cubing, if the T attaches to a butterfly valve rather than directly to the kettle, whirlpool can have full flow from the butterfly valve.

BFK900 80% complete.

Still required:
Acid clean
Scotchbrite
Buy some butterfly valves
Buy pump. Thinking the newer big Keg King pump to see if it gets a whirlpool happening.
Make a lid

Total Vol = 900L so who wants to do a big batch? Will need an assortment of burners to see how much power is required to get this to the boil at a good rate. I have a burner with med pressure reg but it definitely wont be enough. I'm thinking it needs around 180,000 BTU/hr of burners which is approx. equivalent to 50kw.
Inlet and outlet can be rotated to desired orientation - handy.

BFK Assembly.JPG

Valves.JPG

BFK Assembly - Underside.JPG

20170325_1659262.jpg

20170325_170526.jpg

20170325_174144.jpg

20170325_170018.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, have wanted to build one for a while now.

I think I'm in love with husky....if someone can tell me about model #'s for hot water I can get it at cost +5% + the G and any electrical components - just throwing it out there if needed PM me

husky I already knew you didn't F-around, but wow. Awesome effort, you've got some great contacts!! Subscribed and keen to assist in whatever way I can?

I've got an Italian spiral burner that came with a higher pressure (think medium) reg and is 2-point adjustable (reg and Inlet needle valve). Happy to use for testing, case swaps etc. I keep it here for a backup in case I lose power on brew day [emoji3]

From what I saw on the last swap brew the mash recirc was the biggest issue. Thoughts on the below:
Grant with RIMS concept
Prefer to use gravity instead of a pump(too many sucked in FB's) although should be ok using the current manifold arrangement
Constant recirc through the grant to prevent burn on with a valve to divert excess flow to the MT's
Down side is it needs to be constantly monitored otherwise it could overflow. Could put a cap on the grant to prevent this however.
Throttling valves to restrict flow out of MT's to prevent compacting grain bed
3 x standard KK elements for ease of replacement. Should be able to access 3 x power circuits but possibly lacking the grunt required. Gas fired grant?
The one below is 300mm diameter x 400 high
Just throwing some ideas out there.

Grant RIMS Concept.JPG

Grant RIMS Concept1.JPG

That kettle is bloody gorgeous!

I had thought through this a bit since our last swap and the starting of this thread. A gas fired Herms in a 50/100L kette with 3/4" coil plenty of kick to ramp at a reasonable rate. I think you'd really have to be pushing even the bigger KK pumps to compact the bed with the current manifold set up, that is if the beginning of the recirc is manage well. Burner control (via pid/brauduino)isn't hard to implement but head brewer would have to keep and eye on it. From memory we had 2x275L and 1x200l eky mush tuns, would multiple herms be required? Multiple coils in the herms kettle?

Not adverse to the RIMS grant, but would mean any brew location would need some serious power available just for the rig, I think we blew the circuits at cockos 3 or 4 times, and less power lines around to trip over when Jessie is handing out RIS's can only be a good thing.

Seriously That kettle :blink:

WOW!!!!

Love the Grant idea. How about a small supplementary gas burner under it for quicker ramping (electronic control of the elements for ramping & rest maintenance).

To prevent overflow & the need for constant monitoring, how about a float-switch that automatically turns-on a pump for excess return to the MT's?

Latest posts

Back