Vic Case Swap Equipment....ongoing..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what would be a better platform?

• the long lower one with the guard and steps either end allowing a bunch of people to stand on but maybe not a good fit around the gear
  • one of the taller ones with only a couple of people on it at one time
I didn't get there yesterday for pricing but should be able to text the guy with pics for pricing, shall do that Monday when we have some staff so I can get 5 minutes peace

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Found a couple more pics on the phone
the thing with the plastic wrapped around it is some sort of hopper, as soon as he said that I asked if they had any mills but sadly no

Last edited:
I SO want to do a 1000L no-chill! Reckon one of those couldn't handle it though. And tipping it on its side would be hard.

I may have low balled myself out of the equation. I thought Italians loved to haggle, not this fella, reckons I need 3x what I offered for a bunch of stuff, think he's being a bit of a spanker. Now if I go back I lose, oh well better sit tight and wait it out.

If we had 76A I’d have our pumping situation sorted...

IMG_7136.jpg

Mardoo is getting on the hex situation and Im looking at installing those with control and pumps in this.
1512350786401.jpg
1512350804780.jpg
1512350860780.jpg

The base will be getting a respray over chrissy. The kegs are what are going to be used for hexes. Last pic plenty of space for pumps and control box. Inlets and outlets to the tuns will be off the outside wall. A total of upto 4 power inlets, but able to run on just 2.

Without understanding the engineering involved, this seems like WAAAAYYY OTT for the required application.

KISS is the best principle & what about transportability??

Without understanding the engineering involved, this seems like WAAAAYYY OTT for the required application.

KISS is the best principle & what about transportability??
It has wheels, I have trailer or 4x4, and considering the recent expansion of the system, a little bit of head room is built in. Keep in mind the 6 "P's". And in essences simpler than cables and hoses going every where to different hexes with temp probes falling out and hexes boiling and expensive pumps on the ground.

TRUST ME:doofus:

May I suggest that kegs are a complete pain in the arse to fit heat exchangers to? Refer hilarity: One of my first posts
If you are still game I advise cutting the tops of the kegs off completely and having a reaaaaaaaally good think about how you're going to install the heating elements, as I'm guessing they will be typical long elements that rise vertically from the base. Because they stick up there's less tolerance for any water loss unless we elect to get something like Nev's HERMS elements. Note too that it will be good idea to have a mount so the base of the junction box is not supporting the weight of the keg. Actually now that I think of it that's probably quite doable. Just make sure you don't run low on water or you'll burn out the tip of the element.
While you're following the KISS principle, make sure you install some super-impressive controller like Mr Wibble's Arduino with a simple encoder for control. Some mild modifications to the programming would easily allow LCD control with step mashing on a small panel on the top of the... BBQ.

I believe cutting the top off the kegs is the plan so total volume will be down to length of elements/ coverage of coil. Coils may well be custom?? Not sure where Mardoo is going. As for the base for these to sit on I'll see what Mardoo does with the hex and we'll mount them appropriately. Control will be 2x Brewmaniacex, so very similar to brauduino but with wifi capability with web interface (will have hard wired buttons and LCD) and ability to upload from beersmith. So simply setup to mash, upload recipe, hit go(as far as control goes anyway).

I think this was discussed earlier, but is electricity definite the best way to go with the HERMS?
Or rather, is there any value looking at a combined electricity + gas setup?

What i was thinking is that to maintain temp, electricity seems definitely best. But to aid ramping times, could it be worthwhile looking at a gas-fired HERMS unit to use solely when we're trying to ramp across the major temps steps?
I was just thinking that given we already have the huge burner set-up of the BFK, could we devise (ie: basically husky would need to be keen enough to build it) a second vessel, say a shallow 100-200L vessel, with the heat exchanger sitting in the heated water. When we're ramping, swap hoses to that. Once we've hit temp, swap to temp-controlled electrical HERMS coils and maintain the step until the next ramp.

I was thinking it means we might circumvent some of the problem with getting enough power through the HERMS unit(s) to ramp quickly enough.

I think this was discussed earlier, but is electricity definite the best way to go with the HERMS?

What i was thinking is that to maintain temp, electricity seems definitely best. But to aid ramping times, could it be worthwhile looking at a gas-fired HERMS unit to use solely when we're trying to ramp across the major temps steps?
I was just thinking that given we already have the huge burner set-up of the BFK, could we devise (ie: basically husky would need to be keen enough to build it) a second vessel, say a shallow 100-200L vessel, with the heat exchanger sitting in the heated water. When we're ramping, swap hoses to that. Once we've hit temp, swap to temp-controlled electrical HERMS coils and maintain the step until the next ramp.

I was thinking it means we might circumvent some of the problem with getting enough power through the HERMS unit(s) to ramp quickly enough.
we wouldn't need to build anything specific just use a 1-200l kettle on a burner recirculated through a cfc, with wort passing through the other side your output temp manually adjusted with flow control.

Ok. Just wasn't sure if a regular 100-200L pot was big enough to take advantage of the 2 side-by-side burners.
to ramp you'd only need a single burner, if you had a 2hl pot @85c with burner going we'd stick the mash before striping the heat bellow target, it's all about heat exchange, the only way that happens instantly is with steam.

Have started building said vessel, wide tank with one of its own BFK burners. Just need time, $$ and motivation to finish as it needs a custom coil. It's on the long term project list once the 2HL is complete.

Back