Vic Case Swap Equipment....ongoing..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How you gunna cube out of that big fucker?

Have some tri clamp fittings to suit 1/2" and 3/4" silicone hose so should be sorted for cube filling.

20170520_100930.jpg

There's been a bit going on in another thread which is relevant to this thread, probably time it was part of this thread.

It looks like husky is building a mash-tun, whether this is transportable I don't know. I'd really like to build a case-swap HEX but will wait and see what Husky is doing first....

There is a small possibility that I can get my grubby mitts on some used industrial food manufacturing stainless. This place is a delivery point most days, it's feckin massive. I have the name of the guy I need to speak to, they have a heap of bowls, pots, mixers, platforms etc all in stainless that is destined for scrapping or recycling.

Just need to get him on a good day - when the time is right to have a gander. I'll take pics. A small platform that we could use around the brew-house at the swap would be pretty cool. I understand this is maybe taking things too far - but nothing ventured, nothing gained and it's always nice to know where the edge is and there's only one way to know...

Last edited:
Do we need to be thinking about a portable steam generator? How about kero fired ;) Joke, just a joke.

Actually, the whole oil-filled HEX discussion might be something to have. From kingy's experience it sounds like ramping was significantly improved. Although a HEX based on 3/4" tube could be the go. And/or what about a counter flow HEX to boost efficiency? Never even thought about that before - tube in tube style.

How would that work from a control point of view, only heat the counterflow fluid? I think that would work fine but would need an extra pump. A straight HERMS would be simpler. What's the main benefit of the counterflow?

No definite benefit I can document, but there's potential for higher efficiency of heat exchange, just like counter flow chillers are said to be more efficient than immersion chillers. An interesting idea at this point.

How would that work from a control point of view, only heat the counterflow fluid? I think that would work fine but would need an extra pump. A straight HERMS would be simpler. What's the main benefit of the counterflow?
Any HLT based Herms needs to be whirlpooled anyway or you end up with hot and cold spots and uneven heating.
No definite benefit I can document, but there's potential for higher efficiency of heat exchange, just like counter flow chillers are said to be more efficient than immersion chillers. An interesting idea at this point.
T'is part of my plan for going 140L+ I don't have the amps here at home so gas is the only option. HLT control on gas isn't unheard of the trick will be temp vs flow to the cfc. I think best to set the grain bed and set a stable flow, then leave that constant; adjust temp with temp and flow from the HLT. Dialing in won't be a walk in the park, but I see it as a small valve adjustment to ramp. From memory big Nathan had his 5v (150L HLT, 2x 100L Mash, 2x150L boil, with 2 of the above CFC's as HX's, 2 tier from memory) set up in the same way.

Just a quick note on my HERMS and the idea there.

I have a 100ltr system and use a 20ltr birko urn which handles things fine, just. It heats at around the 1dC every 90 seconds . Last week I had 66ltrs at 5.2%,

Based on that I figured that a 200ltr urn would be ok for 1000ltrs, well, at least 660ltrs into cubes albeit with a bigger pump, coils and heat. The thought was that being the (recent) proud owner of some jet burners I could use one or two under a 44g tank, the burners have lugs for ignitors to fix to, so it would be a case of pressing the ignitor and opening the gas valve/s as needed.

I'm happy to get up early on brew day and start a recirc through something like this, just as I do at home and while it would keep the HEX operator busy, it is a mobile option that would only need power for one decent pump.

it's not the be all and end all - just thoughts that have come along the way. Some kind of oil heated tank would be cool.

Last edited:
Like I said the bigger the HLT the more heat stratification (especially with coils of cooler liquid) hence the need for whirlpool, though 2 pumps would still be under 1amp.

HLT was raise, so gravity fed for sparge, Mash tuns and Kettles on a lower single level either side of the HLT.

HLT

Kettle Mash mash kettle

Bloody formating!

howz about a keggle sized hopback while we're at it? I'm sure there's a few heads that would like to get bent out of shape thinking about that

Just a quick note on my HERMS and the idea there.

I have a 100ltr system and use a 20ltr birko urn which handles things fine, just. It heats at around the 1dC every 90 seconds . Last week I had 66ltrs at 5.2%,

Based on that I figured that a 200ltr urn would be ok for 1000ltrs, well, at least 660ltrs into cubes albeit with a bigger pump, coils and heat. The thought was that being the (recent) proud owner of some jet burners I could use one or two under a 44g tank, the burners have lugs for ignitors to fix to, so it would be a case of pressing the ignitor and opening the gas valve/s as needed.

I'm happy to get up early on brew day and start a recirc through something like this, just as I do at home and while it would keep the HEX operator busy, it is a mobile option that would only need power for one decent pump.

it's not the be all and end all - just thoughts that have come along the way. Some kind of oil heated tank would be cool.

Im interested to see where you go with this. Currently looking into heating about 400L of water at once in a RIMS type set up. Have done tests (500L) with dual RIMS running in series with interesting results. I plan on running four RIMS systems in a series using a pump in which I get about 20L through per Minute.

Following with interest.

Latest posts

Back