The Great Chinese Hop Buy 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: on the subject of scales calibration, next packing day if someone could just bring along a kilo pack of ALDI rice and have a weigh around at the beginning, that should solve that one.

Having worked in retail and having to do random product weight tests daily I know for a fact that anything prepacked isn't exatly what the label says. It is very very rare something weights what the label says; typically over by 5-10% depending on the product. 1L of water will provide a closer value to 1kg than a bag of rice will. I quit that job so no longer have access to the test weight.

Water is strictly banned on packing day. Beer only. :)

Water is strictly banned on packing day. Beer only. :)

Density of beer comes into play then, so unless you have super attenuated beer you're going to be calibrating everyone to overweigh. Same story with a 1kg bag of rice. 1kg is effectively just the minimum that a set of 6 or so samples are allowed to weigh on average, so your 1kg bag will quite likely be over as superdave mentioned.

But seriously, I'm happy to be given 950g per kg ordered, makes certain everyone buying 3 or 5kg only need a single express post satchel (if postage is even required this time).

im the same for the next buy, only planning on sending a 3kg express post bag (have a few here at home already anyway), so im happy if mine come in a little under weight. hell, its going to take me forever to get through 3kg of hops anyway!

My hops arrived today Cacade and Saaz, No off smells as reported by others :rolleyes: , green and fresh. Thats after 7 days in a post bag too.Great value for money.
GB

Just got mine :angry: .
A massive thanks to GS Bribie, and the happy packers.
No thanks to Aussie Post......

Weights were
Cascade 1015 and 1002
Nugget 1009
Marco Polo 993
Saaz 1000.

Cheers
Doug

My hops arrived today Cacade and Saaz, No off smells as reported by others :rolleyes: , green and fresh. Thats after 7 days in a post bag too.Great value for money.
GB

Have to say I'm amazed - I've got both varieties on trial in the shop & not even the most uneducated nose has had any trouble picking up on the muskiness in the chinese varieties - maybe we have fresher hops here in the East B)

Cheers Ross

Have to say I'm amazed - I've got both varieties on trial in the shop & not even the most uneducated nose has had any trouble picking up on the muskiness in the chinese varieties - maybe we have fresher hops here in the East B)
Cheers Ross

Im assuming these are blind/unlabled containers with unbiased commentary whilst analysing?

Im assuming these are blind/unlabled containers with unbiased commentary whilst analysing?

No they are labelled, unless someone wants to try them blind - no real point though, as the difference is not subtle.

I can understand an uneducated nose smelling them on their own, finding them possibly ok, but smelt against any fresh hop or by an educated nose, no way.
As I've said... they may well make fine beers & turn out to be excellent value for money & for this the trial beers will be the important test, but aroma wise in the raw state they leave a lot to be desired.

Cheers Ross

Can anyone tell me (or point me in the right direction) the similaritys between these chinese hops and other common hops.

Eg: Nugget is very similar to XXXX,

I know that the Marco Polo is suppose to be similar to Columbus, is this what you have found?

Is the saaz similar to Czech saaz, or more like B or D?

Is the cascade anything like the american cascade or is it more like something else?

Whats cluster similar to?

Gregor

I made a beer yesterday with the cluster. Noticed when pouring the hops into the wort there was the usual intense hop aroma. Then it just disappeared after a few seconds. None of the usual constant hop aroma during the boil. Will have to wait and see I guess. Havent brewed with cluster for years so cant compare.
Cheers
Steve

Gregor,

Aroma wise the cascade are similar to USA cascade but more orangey. The Saaz & Marco Polo are both quite unique aroma wise, so would just use their parentage as a guide until we get feedback from finished beers. Can't comment on the Cluster & Nugget as not sampled them as yet.

Cheers Ross

GB
I can't fathom this one, I live 70 km south of Perth and get them the day after their posted!!!!!

Your almost in the city, you must have pissed the postman off or something GB, that's plain ridiculous.

but smelt against any fresh hop or by an educated nose, no way.
As I've said... they may well make fine beers & turn out to be excellent value for money & for this the trial beers will be the important test, but aroma wise in the raw state they leave a lot to be desired.

Unfortunately Ross, you may have to go and get re-educated. The VAST majority on here seem ultra happy with the smell, and freshness. I have even sent these hops to a number of pro's, and they all say the same thing too. "Nothing wrong with these babies, happy to use them in my brewery"

If fact I sent these to a couple of ultra sensitive brewers, very picky buggers, who again said nothing to worry about with these hops.

You seem to be in the minority on this one mate

Craftbrewer

I can't fathom this one, I live 70 km south of Perth and get them the day after their posted!!!!!

Your almost in the city, you must have pissed the postman off or something GB, that's plain ridiculous.
No I sent mine by normal post just to see how they handled it, wery (pun) happy to say extremely well, not even a broken bag. Cant wait to try some from the next bulk buy lot. How did you find them aroma wise?
GB

Unfortunately Ross, you may have to go and get re-educated. The VAST majority on here seem ultra happy with the smell, and freshness. I have even sent these hops to a number of pro's, and they all say the same thing too. "Nothing wrong with these babies, happy to use them in my brewery"

If fact I sent these to a couple of ultra sensitive brewers, very picky buggers, who again said nothing to worry about with these hops.

You seem to vastly in the minority on this one mate

Craftbrewer

Now now, dont get all defensive Graham. You're after opinions and thats just one of them out of the vast majority. Fairs fair...nothing wrong with someone saying what they think. Im taking on board all opinions until I taste the results of the hops that I bought.
Cheers
Steve

I stand corrected and even humbly beg to accept my appology.

Your right, all opinions, good and bad welcome.

Craftbrewer

No I sent mine by normal post just to see how they handled it, wery (pun) happy to say extremely well, not even a broken bag. Cant wait to try some from the next bulk buy lot. How did you find them aroma wise?
GB
Much like most of the positive comments here. As I packed them I left a few pellets aside and did a palm rub test, and then a small hop tea test, very exciting not much dust & no offensive odours at all. I've always looked on this as a cheap experiment that might uncover some excellent surprises, if they'd all turned out ratshit I was prepared for that from day one. I got a bit of work to catch up on before Xmas so I'm going to do a number of brews with them over the holiday break :icon_cheers: .

You seem to be in the minority on this one mate

Craftbrewer

who were these pro's and who were the ultra sensitive brewers? to me your post sounds like an author trying to sell his book by saying 'a number of book critics were very impressed with the book' and 'some well known journalists thoroughly enjoyed it'. Without knowing who these people are, it doesn't hold as much merit...

Gregor,

Aroma wise the cascade are similar to USA cascade but more orangey. The Saaz & Marco Polo are both quite unique aroma wise, so would just use their parentage as a guide until we get feedback from finished beers. Can't comment on the Cluster & Nugget as not sampled them as yet.

Cheers Ross

Thanks Ross.

Hopefully some reports will come through shortly on the Cluster & Nugget

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back