The Great Chinese Hop Buy 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just throwing an idea out there.15% commission of recovered funds + expenses. That's my debt collectors cost to go visit our Chinese friendds if it goes pear shaped. It's certainly starting to look like it might cone to that. Keep us informed Graham.

I think Graham has enough on his plate organizing this without expecting him the ask for a discount. Just let it slide, we were happy with the prices when we ordered.

It'll all work out in the end, after all didn't we expect a little trouble?

Batz

yeh, I'm not panicking over this. I put it down to them getting into the export business, and of course this has heaps of hic-cups first time arround. I am confident they will get here soon. The disappointment is the delays in getting it shipped. What further gives me coinfidence that its still going thru is all the paperwork I have received, the constant correspondance and being kept up to date. If this was a scam, they would have taken the money and run LONG AGO.

As for the discount, well I think we will take this offer up next order

YES you heard right, we will do this again. I am already fielding requests for another Chinese hop buy after this, so that could be on, PLUS we will do this again next year, same bat time, same bat channel. That is of course if the hops are ok.

This could become an annual event, and as such the orders could just increase each year. Once we do this once, the ordering and shipping will run so much smoother next time.

Craftbrewer

Paperwork and procedures all good at this end as well.

Don't sweat it guys, I'm in no rush to get these things anyway.... I don't even know how I will use 5kg of hops within 12 months, I just couldn't help myself :)

The Great Chinese Hop Buy 2009 2010.

Cheers

Paul

this is the best thread on the whole bored!

I think it's pretty well guaranteed that when Customs and Quarantine in any country decide to look for problems real or not, there's going to be delays, let's hope it's not a big one.

We could all board the Oceanic Viking and refuse to get off until Kevin gets our hops shipped (do they speak Mandarin where there being held?). It's either bribery or blackmail that seems to work with officialdom these days, and were all to cheap to stoop to bribery (with money anyway), so if blackmail worked for the boaties, imagine the popular support such a operation could get in Australia with the beer culture we have, instant national hero's!!! It could all be over and sorted within hours, maybe Kevin could even bring the hops back with him on his government jet, as he's got diplomatic immunity he wouldn't have to declare them to customs at this end and avoid more delays!!!! But then there's the quarantine mob to consider, would they stick their beak in? F**** Me I'm glad your organising this Graham.

Graham, tell em we'll send Fatgodzilla, Batz and FNQBunyip over there if they dont pull there socks up. :lol:

They'll either come back with your hops, or you'll get a fair few boxes of Dim Sums for your money... :ph34r:

The Great Chinese Hop Buy 2009 2010.

Cheers

Paul

Although I guess you were just being a smart*ss, you did make me think about the timing of this bulk buy.

We all know Christmas is the great buying frenzy of the year and at least 50% of the gifts purchased
would come from China - so obviously transport from there to here at this time of year would be at a premium and alternative transport, as in the airfreight being organised for this shipment would be hard to obtain.

With that in mind, perhaps next year Graham, you should look at organising the bulk buy earlier in the year.

I'm assuming above that:

The hops will arrive and are of decent quality.
Graham will not be too traumatised by this buy and retain enough sanity to consider doing it all over next year.
As most homebrewers are cheapskates, once they hear how good the hops are, they'll all want in next year.

2010 Chinese hop bulk buy

1. boddingtons best :lol:

Good on you mate for keeping this thing progressing.

I'm just throwing an idea out there.15% commission of recovered funds + expenses. That's my debt collectors cost to go visit our Chinese friendds if it goes pear shaped.

CM2 V The Tong :lol: :lol:

Screwy

Although I guess you were just being a smart*ss, you did make me think about the timing of this bulk buy.

With that in mind, perhaps next year Graham, you should look at organising the bulk buy earlier in the year.

I'm assuming above that:

The hops will arrive and are of decent quality.
Graham will not be too traumatised by this buy and retain enough sanity to consider doing it all over next year.
As most homebrewers are cheapskates, once they hear how good the hops are, they'll all want in next year.

I think we will do this again. I even yet again have a new NEW supplier, (in a new country), this one supplies all the Europen nobel varieties, and I mean ALL. Just still organising price etc.

The timing issue is bug bear. I left it this late, as that assures us the hops are from the current years harvest. If I jump earlier, yes the freighting may be quicker, BUT we might be off loaded with last years hops. One thing I know about beer, FRESH IS BEST - ESPECIALLY HOPS.

Off to check the e-mails to see if my new best friend supplier has contacted me

Graham L Sanders
craftbrewer
Skype "craftbrewer"

I think we will do this again. I even yet again have a new NEW supplier, (in a new country), this one supplies all the Europen nobel varieties, and I mean ALL. Just still organising price etc.

The timing issue is bug bear. I left it this late, as that assures us the hops are from the current years harvest. If I jump earlier, yes the freighting may be quicker, BUT we might be off loaded with last years hops. One thing I know about beer, FRESH IS BEST - ESPECIALLY HOPS.

Off to check the e-mails to see if my new best friend supplier has contacted me

Graham L Sanders
craftbrewer
Skype "craftbrewer"

Are you some sort of bulk buy sadomasicist? FFS Graham! :lol:
I know this comment is OT, but seriously, I have concerns for Graham's mental health. More so after listening to his radio show.

Are you some sort of bulk buy sadomasicist? FFS Graham! :lol:
I know this comment is OT, but seriously, I have concerns for Graham's mental health. More so after listening to his radio show.

Yes one must be mad to get involved in this first time arround. Madder to do it again next year. Madder still to organise a second separate supplier. And down right insane to even think of supplying micro's and all you craftbrewers with these hops.

BUT I have to first get the first lot of hops out of China. I will be folowing up today what is happening. My patience is now running out, and its time I think to put a little pressure on these guys to pull the finger out.

Will report as soon as I have info.

Graham Sanders

UPDATE

Well things are looking good, and i am happy with the reply from the Hop people.

Their words exactly

"[8:41:42 AM]Dear Graham,my air forwarder will tell me clear date of sailing.Yesterday they had declared at customs this morning forwarder will tell me. The freight space had booked. I'll tell you as soon as I get the ship date.(tomorrow or day after tomorrow)"

You know as much as I do.

Graham L Sanders
Craftbrewer
Skype "Craftbrewer"
http://radio.craftbrewer.org

I thought these were being air-freighted now? Sounds like they are on slow boat #2, is that correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back