SmartPID

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. So i am a dumbarse at this. How do update the software to the latest version. Mine is from the beta.

Ok. So i am a dumbarse at this. How do update the software to the latest version. Mine is from the beta.

Demo & Tutorials

SW upgrade procedure
The firmware upgrade can be performed very easily using the MSD mass storage device bootloader technology that allow you to “copy paste” the binary executable file in the smartPID controller connected via USB and mapped as a USB memory

To upgrade FW you DON’T need any driver or SW installation, just simply follow below steps

Programming an application via the bootloader

1. power up the board while keeping the S/S button pressed: the OLED display will be lit with a solid white color
  2. onnect the board to a USB port, it will appear as a mass storage device and the OLED display will alternate between a black and a white screen
  3. remove the FLASH.BIN file present in the mass storage device
  4. copy the your executable .bin file of your application to the mass storage device
  5. safely remove the USB mass storage device from the PC
  6. power-cycle the board and reboot

Demo & Tutorials

SW upgrade procedure
The firmware upgrade can be performed very easily using the MSD mass storage device bootloader technology that allow you to “copy paste” the binary executable file in the smartPID controller connected via USB and mapped as a USB memory

To upgrade FW you DON’T need any driver or SW installation, just simply follow below steps

Programming an application via the bootloader

1. power up the board while keeping the S/S button pressed: the OLED display will be lit with a solid white color
  2. onnect the board to a USB port, it will appear as a mass storage device and the OLED display will alternate between a black and a white screen
  3. remove the FLASH.BIN file present in the mass storage device
  4. copy the your executable .bin file of your application to the mass storage device
  5. safely remove the USB mass storage device from the PC
  6. power-cycle the board and reboot
Thanks. Davide sent me the info in the facebook group. I was using the original version of the config manual, which didn't have this info. Will try tonight. My next post will probably be.... so i wiped the memory from my smartpid, how do i fix.

The more I look into PID's and stuff the more I like the SmartPID.

Just putting mine through its paces now.
What an awesome piece of kit. I think i am ready to build my control panel and finally get a rig welded. I don't think i have ever had any controller agree with a dial but this one has for each step. Maybe only using water allows?
20170828_142634.jpg

20170828_142641.jpg

The hermit is working well with the smartpid.
20170828_121720.jpg

Next step is to set up the second channel to control the hlt.

I informed my LHBS about SmartPid and they were genuinely interested in stocking them, the only hold up was that they haven't been Australian Standards tested yet, so the retail market will steer clear. So I have a question, what devices that we use are? Do PIDs or STCs meet AU Standards? What are the implications?

Santa is going to bring me one of these for festivus, could someone link me a suitable temp probe please?

Santa is going to bring me one of these for festivus, could someone link me a suitable temp probe please?
what is he bringing a candy cane? I can recommend the white ones with the red stripe they are yummy:fallingoffchair:

I informed my LHBS about SmartPid and they were genuinely interested in stocking them, the only hold up was that they haven't been Australian Standards tested yet, so the retail market will steer clear. So I have a question, what devices that we use are? Do PIDs or STCs meet AU Standards? What are the implications?
If you are purchasing for your personal use then it means nothing, if purchasing for resale then it must be certified to Australian standards.

Are these similar to the Braumeister controllers.
Set times, hold temp for selected times & beep at you when to add hops etc.

I went back a few pages & see that they are.
Be good if they could run a bigger 240V element like 15A.

Last edited:
AFAICT, SmartPID is streets ahead of any other branded controller, like Braumeister or Grainfather. On the other hand, it's not a simple plug and play replacement for those controllers. The beauty of SmartPID is the open nature - you can make it do anything you like. If the supplied software is not to your liking, it's possible to change it. Even if you don't have the skills to make the changes yourself, there is a good chance you can convince someone else to implement the features you want.

Just putting mine through its paces now.
What an awesome piece of kit. I think i am ready to build my control panel and finally get a rig welded. I don't think i have ever had any controller agree with a dial but this one has for each step. Maybe only using water allows?
View attachment 107898
View attachment 107899
The hermit is working well with the smartpid.View attachment 107900
Next step is to set up the second channel to control the hlt.

Have you run a couple of brews with it yet Brad?
They look pretty good & I see they're compatible with a pt100 probe.

Latest posts

Back