SmartPID

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine arrived today, unfortunately can't play until Xmas day..

I think I'm going to need help with a control panel..

So I finally got the Smartpid set up in my Guten. I followed the directions the Klarstein Retrofit PDF. The NTC Beta is set to 3950, the probe type is set to NTC, etc. I have double checked all the wiring to make sure it is correct.

If I go in to Run mode or Auto PID Tuning the temperature reads -70C. Also nothing seems to happen ie, the element is not turning on.

Shoudl I follow the advice I gave someone else and actually read Adr_0's PID manual or is it easier to fix?

I have sent Arzaman an email as well but im impatient as usual.

Cheers

Silly Q but is the wiring backwards on the probe? I’ve seen that with some temperature probes that the reading going randomly in the opposite direction if wires are put in around the wrong way...

Yeah i thought about that. I didnt know you could get it backward but ill swap em tonight and see what happens. Thanks.

Probe isn’t wired backwards by any chance? (Not sure if that applies to NTC type...)

With these is it possible to wire up with:

3x SSR (HLT, HERMS & Kettle)
&
3x temp probes (for above)
&
2x pumps (not as big a deal as just one for recirc would be ok and manually plug in the second but it would be nice to wire it all in together)

Also is there an iPhone app plan? Saw the web browser comment but if an app was planned that’d surely boost interest for ya poor folk stuck on iOS cos that’s what work dishes out...

Looking to eventually finalise a control box and this looks like it could replace saw an electric brewery type panel with switches everywhere and have a more compact box housing the SSRs and this on the front...?

Deej, I just bought a cheap used Android phone from eBay for $40. I haven't contacted the maker about iPhone app though. It would make sense for him to do it, of course.

I thought it could only be 2v but from the site....
"SmartPID can control 2 differents channels with two temperature sensors and independent outputs (ie one heating process and one cooling process)"

"The SmartPID controller has 5 differents control outputs for any load and device type 2 x Mechanical Relay 220V/10A1 x 12v SSR ouput 2 x 12V 2A direct load driving (pump, fan, valve)"

Hmm, can an SSR be driven off the mechanical relay outputs if it was the type that received 220V as opposed to 12V? Think I’ve seen those around...

The reason for using SSR's over mechanical relays is because of the speed the circuit is being switched the mechanical relay would melt. It can be done for pump circuits where switching is slower we did this with Brauduino to arrest screen scrambling issues caused by pump motor start up. But for driving a PID or PWM controlled element you need to use a directly driven SSR.

Hmm, can an SSR be driven off the mechanical relay outputs if it was the type that received 220V as opposed to 12V? Think I’ve seen those around...
Pretty sure I saw the maker mention a build where someone had done that, but I'm not 100% sure.

Have you tried using a different ntc code? I went with the ds18b20 and have not had a problem. Send Arzaman a pm.

Yeah i tried them all. Im sticking with 3950 which is what it says in the retro fit manual. Ill pm him

By ntc code do you mean NTC Beta? I didnt see ds18b20 in there?
Edit: there is a lot more in there :D

I originally tried to use an ITC probe and was having the same problem . Grabbed a couple of the DS18B20 probes from jaycar and they worked fine.

Problem solved. When I first got the Samrtpid the only instructions on how to install in to a Guten or other was a Youtube vid in Italian. A week or 2 after that he released a PDF retro fit manual. I had it wired up like the vid but the manual was different wiring. I followed the manual wiring and now its all working fine.

Xmas-promo-2017.png

As usual I’m happy to share with you some news about the project but since Xmas time is approaching I have activated a special promo offer on the online store

for limited time period you can get for free

-SSR 40 A 24-380V AC with smartPID smart hombrewing app

Or

-Thermocouple K-type adapter with smartPID smart thermostat

Xmas-promo-2017-rele-adapter.png

Few pieces of the all in one klarstein mash tun retrofit kit are still available

PhotoGrid_1509216550041.jpg

don’t miss out !

coming back to project status update

Smart thermostat K-type support now available, the new SW release can be downloaded in the wiki section of the web site. For upgrade procedure of your smartPID follow instruction on installation and configuration manual

With this upgrade you can control high temperature process like furnaces , reflow ovens etc and reach 1380C of max temperature

Also the external adapter for the K-type probe connection is now available as optional in the store (free during Xmas promo)

The other big step forward is related to the remote control management, I’m working to a complete re-design of that part introducing a more interactive, user friendly and powerful thecnology that allow also integration with third party application.

The first application that have been updated is the smart thermostat, the retrofit is now complete and we are testing the android smartphone app that will make the smart thermostat a really smart and unique product ! Here some screenshot preview

IMG-20171129-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20171129-WA0011.jpg

Smart Homebrewing application will follow in January and brew day monitor, automation and recipe management will be something really amazing !

I take the opportunity to wish you a happy and peaceful Christmas and I will come back to you next years with lot of smart and exciting project and news

Br

Davide

Back