SmartPID

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zorco said:
Go and follow the links Benn. 80 euro once pre production is satisfied.
Then shipping.
80 euro, cheers Zorco. Might have to dust of the PC, can't seem to find links on the phone.

Hi
short project update for this beginning 2017
Development continue and I'm happy to share a couple of news

From HW perspective I succeed adding an I2C expansion port on the back panel that provides lot of flexibility and expansion capabilities. The port has “grove” pin out and there are lot of sensors and actuators that can be connected.

PhotoGrid_1483361087430-e1483623415669.png

The other improvement is related to the smartphone app. Lot of enhancement, new layout and now the possibility not only to monitor from remote the process parameter but also to modify the set point

have a look to this short video that show the remote control capabilites

[media]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMJiMmr1yJE[/media]

hope you like this enhancement, stay tuned
Davide
arzman engineering

Definitely planning on getting both the thermostat and the brew controller. Unfortunately the Indigogo campaign has been terrible timing for me due to the drop in business we always have at this time each yea, combined with Christmas.

However, it really looks like the SmartPID is really coming into its own as a product. The ability to run three SSR's is awesome, amongst many others. I like how the app is coming along too.

I'm the same as Mardoo. This is something that I want to own and try. Great work so far

Working hard to complete last steps of the project and make smartpid a product
Results of the crowdfunding campaign are not so positive, need to reflect on reasons why before moving forward

The support of the community is for me fundamental

Stay tuned
Davide

Davide,

I think timing might have been a problem. People spend savings at Christmas time, so December, January and February are difficult months to get funding.

Good luck with the project - a device like SmartPID is definitely an enabling technology for may other projects.

Since I got few questions I would like to provide you an update of the project after the strategy review post indiegogo campaign.

I can confirm you that finally I have distributed 12 SmartPID to selected beta tester, it's an important milestone since after one year of work smartpid leave my laboratory and someone start really playing with it and provide real feedback.

I'm collecting the first feedback on all possible areas..from buy experience to fulfillment..from general look and feel to user experience ..from smartphone app to core features.

The overall feedback generally speaking is positive and I got really lot of valuable inputs either on fixing some problems (mainly in the smartphone app) or review and enhance some parts.

Here some unboxing and first integrations ..Lot of discussion and interaction (an lot of work) !

smartpid-unboxing-e1486679283815.jpg

In parallel the development proceeds on many different streams

I have released first version of the installation and configuration manual that provides all details to connect and configure smartPID (wifi config, thingspeak config, Arduino IDE config and sketch compilation , FW upgrade and so on). You can download form the github page

A new SW release is now available either for the homebrewing app and smart thermostat adding two main content: Fahrenheit support and probe calibration support. [SIZE=11pt]In the short term roadmap some important enhancements are already palnned: delayed start for fridge (smart thermostat) and PID autotuing beta, should be interesting experiment autotuning algorithm in your setup[/SIZE]

As promised I have made smartPID open source and I have also completed the github area with all source code,libraries, schema, driver etc.. so anyone that will enjoy programming and hacking smartPID can do ! Please remember that all material is subject to GNU V3 open source license

https://github.com/arzaman/smartPID

I have prepared also the website for adding a wiki section and a forum section. Hopefully I will release in live in the week end. This will allow better project documentation and interaction with all end user

The very good news is that end next week I should receive the front panel that is the last missing part so I'm potentially ready to provide to you the long waited smartpid (more or less in line with indiegogo campaing schedule)

My plan is to collect other feedback from beta tester up to end of February , fix major issue and than distribute the remaining 50 boards (with precedence to backers) and increase the community.. so stay tuned !

20170128_103809-e1486679263881.jpg

Davide

Quick update on the project with special focus on new feature and enhancements of application SW
Delay Fridge start and PID auto tuning has been released and I have also added the configuration support for different beta coefficient for NTC sensors plus other minor changes coming from the beta tester

PhotoGrid_1487426421079-e1489192580681.png

I have also tested extensively the auto tune with my test equipment and even if I’m not a fan of the auto tuning process it can help you to find an initial set up that maybe you can adjust by experience

SmartPID-auto-tuning-collage-e1489192607716.jpg

Now working to the final version of the smart thermostat app adding the ramp/soak management for the fermentation chamber
I have also released the first official version of the android smartphone app on google play store, off course to use it you need the SmartPID controller (and the thingspeak account)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fred.com.smartpid

The beta testing phase has been completed and lot of feedback received, I have now extended the community with a limited offer to former Indiegogo backer but I’m ready to open the store to all of you with a limited stock of controller

It’s a matter of days, stay tuned !
Davide
Arzaman engineering

New major feature for the smartPID temperature controller !

I have implemented on top of the smart thermostat the temperature profile management, something similar to the step mash feature of the brewing app

You can define up to 10 different profiles made by set point, ramp time and soak time than the controller moves linearly the stet-point from one value to another in the defined time so you can control the ramp slope

the soak time calculation has two options

static: soak time starts immediately after the ramp end, regardless the current temperature has reached the new set point

soak-ramp-static.png

dynamic: soak time starts when the temperature reach set point (like in step mash) and so you have a synchronous process

soak-ramp-dynamic.png

in this video more details on the profile configuration and execution

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EipLWRyb98&t[/media]

this will make the smart thermostat perfect for the fermentation chamber control in case you need to change slowly your set point

hope you like it, any comment appreciated !

Br
Davide

But I just finished building my Brauduino kit!!!!!!! :(

Cheers,
Jase

Mardoo said:
Boy, this is like a strip tease! :D Looking forward to the final product.
[SIZE=10.5pt]It's already "final" or at least I'm continuing adding feature[/SIZE]s according to community feedback
[SIZE=10.5pt]But as product is final and you can chose between smart brewing application (full brew day automation) and now smart thermostat including ramps/soak[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]What else [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]J[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt] ?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Davide[/SIZE]

Long time since last post and lot of things happens !

Many homebrewers adopted SmartPID controller and I got lot of feedback that allow me to enhance and improve either HW and SW

Before summer break (at least in north hemisphere it’s summer time !) just few update on the project

Still working on the improvement of the overall quality of the engineering of smartPID and from next batch I'm happy to announce that the front panel has been replaced with a new one.
Not just a graphical and aesthetic review but a different solution. The tactile switch are now internal and on top of the panel a flexible membrane allow to press it.

IMG_20170714_000302_472-e1500045878552.jpg

This provide a very good feeling in operating in smartPID but more important good protection of the inside from splash or particles. Little details but improved in quality and reliability

Biggest news are SW side. As you may have seen the focus on the development now is on the BBQ controller application, with support of few professional pit master now the application is almost complete. Very powerful, feature reach and flexible...I will follow up on this topic and I will start a beta testing campaign after summer break ..stay tuned

The BBQ app give me the chance to talk about another big change in the SW architecture and evolution of SmartPID ecosystem. You know that one of the SmartPID smartest feature is the capability to remote monitor and control your device and process. Currently the smartphone app is available for android only and is based on the public service provided by Thingspeak.

In the BBQ solution I have tested a new technology to implement the remote control and the results are really good and promising

The new technology is based on MQTT subscribe and notify protocol that is becoming a standard for the IoT connected devices and allow me to mange a private server where to develop advanced services
From technical perspective allow me to solve lot of the annoying things to make a device connected via WiFi home router like the dynamic IP address of firewall traversal.

From your end user perspective the initial set up user experience will be simplified, the new app will be very responsive and with possibility to implement also commands and actions.
And finally the technology allow me to implement either native android smartphone app but also web application that you can use in any browser….fixed or mobile..so including tablet or IOS devices.

Have a look to this video that is quite explanatory!

In autumn I will retrofit also the smartphone app for hombrewing and smart thermostat and finally implement what you request so many times: full brew day and process remote controls (not only monitors) with full interactions and all the parameters remote control including recipe management

Finally I'm working to other two applications: a complete process controller for malting barley with a micro-malthouse and a spirit distiller controller. Still in a design and concept stage but progressing !

If you are interested there are really few smartPID pieces in the store still at the launch price, next stock available in August

Have a nice holiday and talk to you after summer break with other news and progress !

br
Davide

20170822_155248.jpg
Have had mine sitting in a box for a few months now. So when i picked up a well wired auber pid , i thought i would do a simple upgrade. Out with the old and in with the new. Just need to get the right probe.
Auto multi step mash, very cool. Can save different recipe steps, super cool.

Yeah, I have a couple sitting on my bench, one brewing one, one thermostat. I'm really looking forward to giving them a go. Even got a used Android phone to download the app.

Last edited:
I just recieved a message from SmartPID, stock ready for shipment mid-next week.

Back