SmartPID

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glomp said:
The solution here seems to be the bees knees so i will hold off buying anything else depending on price.
Price depends on production cost and basically on two factors ..fixed cost (design and engineering, sw development, certification …) an unitary assembly costs that are volume dependent

Do you know what is the most expensive component? Processor? WiFI?

• Base on 1000PCS volume discount
  • OLED 8USD
  • BOX 5 USD
  • back connectors 5USD
  • Front panel printing…packaging …3USD
And than you need components from processor to eeprom..you need PCB…you need wifi module…you need assembly and test..
Just to provide you an idea that industrial cost of such an object is not zero…in stc1000 there is almost nothing inside , engineering is not exactly the best I have seen…and volume are very high

If you want something smart you should expect a different cost…if you are comfortable with STC1000 like stupid thermostat non problem
Davide

peteru said:
What regulatory standards / approvals are you planning on passing / obtaining?

FCC / CE / UL / AS/NZ?
CE and FCC test are planned

Davide

Dear Homebrewing friends I continue in this thread in order to highlight main SmartPID features and functions and collect your feedback during the project

Before entering technical details few words about the “philosophy” and idea behind the project

When I start designing the SmatPID I try to capture some requirements and functionalities that are actually not present in low cost thermostat like STC1000 and are more typical in the professional control device (PLC) but at the same time I put lot of effort to keep it simple, accessible, affordable for a consumer market and DIY enthusiast

apart form the core temperature control features (PID/PWM etc..) indeed very advanced and powerful t the main innovation I have introduced that make SmartPID unique are

Full process automation

BANNER-3.jpg

Thanks to the power of the platform it's possible to develop custom application that needs process control with complex service logic and manage a complete workflow.
Basic thermostat just simply ready temperature and control a relay according to set point..In smartPID you can program steps, ramps, triggers, alarms and manage complex temperature profile over the time.
Typical example is food processing like beer brewing, cheese making or food drying where according to specific recipe parameters the heating process should be managed step by step controlling and orchestrating different elements (heater, pump, fan..)

Data logging and export (USB & wifi)
icon-feature10.png

The possibility to log all process data and analyse real time or off line is another typical feature that is available only on professional devices or with external data logger.
SmartPID has an internal 8Mbit EEPROM where all the process data (temperature, set point, PWM power, control direction etc,,) are logged and can be accessed either locally via USB and a desktop application (CSV export) or remotely pushed via wifi connection to a cloud server.

WiFi connectivity for remote management and IoT cloud integration
icon-feature11.png

Wifi connectivity and cloud integration is what make SmartPID really smart !
Small wifi optional module is integrated in the SmarPID box and once connected to the wifi access the device can provide lot of new feature
remote management → configuration and control of setup parameter and process parameter from any location via web or smartphone
data logg→ real time monitoring of main process parameter and storage in the cloud server
for the development and design phase the thingspeak cloud service has been used , a private cloud server will be deployed after project founding

DIN Box
icon-feature4.png

Another key driver for the design was the “box size” and we decide to use a standard DIN box in order to make SmartpID ultra compact and backward compatible with STC1000 like thermostat, you can just unplug your current controller and plug SmartPID to get the new full set of features
Engineering all the HW to support the new features has been very challenging but the result is a very powerful platform with powerful CPU, lot of memory and I/O capabilities that is the base line for developing powerful applications

Arduino Compatibility
icon-feature12.png

Last but not least important driver was to keep as much as possible the platform open and easy programmable so the natural choice was to do development under Arduino umbrella. The component selection like the MCU (SAMD21 arduino Zero and MKR1000 IoT new board) and the architure are fully arduino compatible. I have developed a custom bootloader and specific board definition that can be imported in the Arduino IDE so you can just connect SmartPID via USB port to your PC and develop you sketch using the arduino tool-chain and all the supported libraries.

Let’s now have an overview to HW and core features

HW configuration

HW-characteristic.png

• -SAMD21 processor ARM cortex M0+
  • -8Mbit EEPROM for data log, recipe storage etc..
  • -1.3” OLED graphical display
  • -USB front port for programming, SW upgrade, data logging
  • -4 tactile switch to navigate trough menu
  • -1x Buzzer
  • -Jtag/SWD port
  • -WIFI module (detachable)
  • -110/220 V AC power supply
  • -2x temp probe input (DS18B20 or NTC)
  • -2x 220v AC 10A Relay output
  • -1x SSR output
  • -2x 12V 1A direct drive output

The core control functions are

icon-feature1.png
icon-feature3.png
icon-feature2.png

• -DUAL Independent control channel
  • -Multi control mode (heating , cooling or thermostatic)
  • -Dual control algorithm (PID or ON/OFF)

Is this little box powerful, flexible, smart enough for your applications ?

Next posts try to go in detail of major functions and remote management part
Any feedback is appreciated !

Arzaman
http://smartpid.com
https://www.facebook.com/smartPID

I think I'll be picking one up too. I put my name down on the mailing list on their website.

Arzaman, you will be releasing an early bird tier on your crowdfunding campaign for us mailing list subscribers right? :D :ph34r:

Also I don't think you'll get FCC approval with that ESP-01 module in there (no metal can shielding), but you shouldn't need it since the DIN box isn't the end user application.

arzaman said:
[SIZE=10.5pt]What do you mean with "prewired" ?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]SmartPID SPC1000 comes in a DIN box with terminal block on the rear panel. .than depending on your application and configuration you need to do wiring with your set up...and there are plenty of possibilities..[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Electric or ga[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Single or dual channel[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Mechanical relay or SSR[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]12V direct output (to drive a solenoid valve or a pump..)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Davide[/SIZE]
I was meaning with a plug, ready to plug into a power point.

How does this compare to the new grainfather connect controllers? http://us8.campaign-archive1.com/?u=ccba2b8b21c27d9056584bbcb&id=62caef344f&e=

bradsbrew said:
I was meaning with a plug, ready to plug into a power point.

How does this compare to the new grainfather connect controllers? http://us8.campaign-archive1.com/?u=ccba2b8b21c27d9056584bbcb&id=62caef344f&e=
You just need to screw a power cord in the 220V input and it is done...

about comparisono with the new GF controller I will have to review better the official solution
one first comment: the GF controller is for GF only...SmartPID is for any system, any applicaiton..not only mashing and not only brewing !

1-5m-AC-power-cord-US-EU-plug-cord-two-wire-power-cord-for-switching-power.jpg

@bradsbrew

This device is a just a component you use to build larger systems. There is not much sense in supplying it pre-wired with a country specific mains plug, because you will (almost always) still need to wire up other mains powered circuits. In Australia, that should be done by a licensed electrician.

If you are after a plug-n-play solution, you could probably get someone to build you an enclosure that provides mains plugs and controls, similar to the Inkbird 308 and 310T. I guess a plug-n-play box based on the SmartPID could be a future product spin-off for Davide or anyone else interested. Maybe Michael could manufacture/assemble something for the Australian market. I expect it would not be a very high volume venture.

@arzaman
The SmartPID looks like a great candidate for coffee roaster controller. I could probably also use it with the BBQ for getting optimal pizza temperature. What are the probe options for high temperature applications? Coffee roasting would need to go up to about 250C, pizza oven up to about 350C. Possible?

peteru said:
@arzaman
The SmartPID looks like a great candidate for coffee roaster controller. I could probably also use it with the BBQ for getting optimal pizza temperature. What are the probe options for high temperature applications? Coffee roasting would need to go up to about 250C, pizza oven up to about 350C. Possible?
[SIZE=10.5pt]You get the point ![/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]smartPID can be used any application any device[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Basic application ready developed is the baseline with all the smart feature but than there are vertical application...see the relevant section in the web site[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]beer application...full mashing, boiling, recipe management etc...like ardbir[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]
BANNER-4.jpg
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]BBQ application to control fan for temperature regulation ina charcoal bbq[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]
BBQ.png
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Food Dehydrator to control temperature, fan speed , humidity[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]
food-dehydrator-e1474456601975.jpg
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Coffe roaster or pizza oven ??? why not ![/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]You can enjoy to develop your app [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]stay tuned[/SIZE]
arzaman

@arzaman

I already saw the website and the applications, including the BBQ idea. However, when looking at the SmartPID specifications, I see support for NTC or DS18B20 sensors. Neither of those sensors would work in the high temperature range.

It looks like the most common Arduino solution for temperatures above 125C is to use a K type thermocouple with glass insulated wires and a circuit that converts the thermocouple output to I2C. Will SmartPID support something like this to allow control in high temperature applications?

peteru said:
@arzaman

It looks like the most common Arduino solution for temperatures above 125C is to use a K type thermocouple with glass insulated wires and a circuit that converts the thermocouple output to I2C. Will SmartPID support something like this to allow control in high temperature applications?
You are right for BBQ and high temperature you muste use a thermocouple with and amplifier
In order to connect to smartpid you need a conversion to 1-wire protocolo...
here is the solution :)

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-1-wire-thermocouple-amplifier-max31850k/overview

One of the key characteristic of SmartPID is the flexibility and versatility trough HW set up SmartPID can be adapted to mange different applications

below some example to illustrater the flexibilty

Single channel - PID (on/off) control mode - heating + pump

Smartpid-setup-1.png

SmartPID reads temperature from 1 probe and drive the heating element in order to get the setup temeprature

Possible heating output configurations

SSR for electric heating [PID+PWM control algorithm]
220V AC relay for electric heating [ON/OFF algorithm]
Direct solenoid valve drive for GAS heating [ON/OFF algorithm]
Manually drive the PUMP (soft switch) with tow possible configurations

220V AC realy pump drive
12V DC direct pump drive

DUAL channel - PID (on/off) control mode - heating (gas or electric)

Smartpid-setup-4.png

SmartPID reads temperature from 2 probe and drive 2 heating element idipendently in order to get 2 different set up temperature

1 x SSR for electric heating [PID+PWM control algorithm]
1 x 12V direct solenoid valve drive for GAS heating [ON/OFF algorithm]
Manually drive the PUMP (soft switch) with tow possible configurations

220V AC realy pump drive
12V DC direct pump drive

DUAL channel – ON/OFF control mode – thermostatic

Smartpid-setup-3.png

SmartPID reads temperature from 1 probe and drive one heating element and one cooling element in order to keep temperature stable (fermentation chamber)

220V AC relay for electric heating [ON/OFF algoritm]
220V AC relay for electric heating [ON/OFF control algorithm]

so as you can see the possibility of configuration are really endless !

staty tuned
arzaman

thread locked due to unauthorised sponsor pushing his product.

BANNER-4.jpg

Happy to announce after 2 weeks from SmartPID launching that the second application on top of the SmartPID platform is nearly ready and is completely dedicated to home brewing process automation

What is new and different compared to the standard basic application (smart thermostat)?
Substantially Smart Home Brewing App adds to a standard temperature control features all the process automation and workflow to manage all typical steps for beer making. We have customized vertically the SW for the specific application leveraging all the basic features available on the platform
Each vertical application has off course it’s own set of data, process parameter and configuration and so is the smart home brewing app that execute all process steps according to in memory “recipe”and controls HW resources (heating elements, pump/stirrer, buzzer ) in automatic way

These are main characteristic of the smart HB application

• Single vessel (BIAB/RIMS) or two vessel (MASH + HLT) process management

• Electric heating (PID/PWM) or Gas Fired heating (ON/OFF)

• Recirculating pump or motorized mixer management

• NTC/DSB18B20 temperature probe

• Internal or external (in recirculating circuit) temp probe position

• Step Mash management (mash in/out and 6 step mash)

• Boil management with overboil and power control (electric only)

• Hop addition alarms

• Whirlpool management (hot or cold)

• Cooling management

• Full recipe management (new / edit /clone /delete)

• Mash profile

• Boil duration and hop addition time

• 10 possible recipe in memory

• Delay start for brew day programming

Off course the brewing application benefit of all common features

• Log of all process data locally in the EEPROM

• Push of process data via wifi to thingspeak server

• Download of process data via USB (CSV format)

• Web visualization of process data

• SamrtPID dedicated smartphone app for data visualization (android only)

If this is not enough the development roadmap foresse other uniques functions in particular the possibility to define the process parameter and recipe via web or smartphone interface and upload via wifi to the controller.
Even if it’s very easy to configure smartPID via local menu the possibility to have a web user area with all parameters and recipe as well all the log data of previous brew day we believe is a real plus. In order to simplify the recipe process from definition to run mode also import of mash and boil profile from major SW like Beersmith is in feasibility stage

In next posts we try to show a real case of set up and cabling for BIAB equipments and a video with complete overview of the functions trough the EMULATOR

arzaman
https://www.facebook.com/smartPID

During this month after launching we have collected from HB community lot of feedback and also questions either technical and commercial.
I have collected in the FAQ section on the web site, have a look for any doubt on the project !

http://smartpid.com/faq/

arzaman

FAQ.png

During this month after launching we have collected from HB community lot of feedback and also questions either technical and commercial.
I have collected in the FAQ section on the web site, have a look for any doubt on the project !

http://smartpid.com/faq/

arzaman

FAQ.png

It does look really interesting. Have signed up for the mailing list. At the right price, I'd be keen to order one for use with my Grainfather.

welly2 said:
It does look really interesting. Have signed up for the mailing list. At the right price, I'd be keen to order one for use with my Grainfather.
I'm working with a local beta tester to engineer SmartPID for a plug and play GF retrofit ..just unplugging the STC200 and connecting smartPID and you can benefit of full process automation (including pump) , recipe management, wifi connection and brew day data loging..etc

stay tuned
arzaman

Sounds good. Will be interested to see how it compares to the GF upgraded controller. Both functionality and price wise. As I was looking at purchasing that when it's released.

Latest posts

Back