SmartPID

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SmartPID is not a simple controller or thermostat, is more an “open platform” powerful and flexible where the resources and I/O can be used for different applications, different environments and integration. My idea is to develop an ecosystem of “vertical” applications on top of a common set of features

the first two applications developed for homebrewer are

smart thermostat (or basic application) that is the base line for any thermal regulated process . Can be used and adapted where it's need a PID control or perform a retrofit o simple thermostat with something more advanced. Typical example is fermentation chamber

Smart homebrewing app that is focused on all brewing process automation from mashing to boilng from hop addition to whirlpool and cooling including recipe management

Smart-thermostat-vs-brewing-app.png

other applications you want to see on smartPID?

arzman

Working to a plug-n-play and easy retrofit solution to upgrade original grinfather controller with Smartpid and need some suggestions and ideas from GF community

The idea is to keep the original case and switches, just removing STC200 and rewiring Smartpid in order to get full process automation, recipe management, wifi data log, OLED graphical display, USB, etcetc.. and basically there a two options

1) connect heating element to relay 1 , connect pump to relay 2 in parallel to switch, connect temperature probe to one of the two control channel. Just two wires for pump and a screw driver !

You can benefit all the smart PID automation feature (including pump cycle automation) but the temperature control during step mash will be performed ON/OFF (with hysteresis) since is not advisable to use PID /PWM algorithm with mechanical relay output
Also during boil you lose the nice feature to control power via PWM 0-100%

2) insert in the case a solid state relay (10A minimum) to control heating elements, pump control and temperature probe as option 1

Little bit of extra work and a need of suitable SSR with heat sink to fit in the small spare space inside the case but you can benefit full PID + PWM solution either in mashing or in boiling

there is also a 3rd option more invasive that need to work on the base of GF separating 2 heating element now in series in order to control them separately (500W by PID during mashing, 1500 W by relay during mash in/out and boil)

what option do you prefer ? Any other suggestion ?

PhotoGrid_1478361614336.jpg

Finally succeeded in retrofit the original GF controller with smartPID using the original wiring , connected heating element to relay1 and pump to relay2 (in parallel to manual switch). It’s not suggested to use PID algorithm with relay.. better to use ON/OFF algorithm with hysteresis but anyway you can benefit all the advanced features

as soon as I can I will post a full tutorial for upgrade and a brewday with the autmatic process control

arzaman

20161105_212224.jpg

zeggie said:
Ok, looks fine and all but what is the price going to be?
especially considering the fancy new (plug and play, fully supported, app store app interfaced) grainfather controller is $199

This is just what I am after. If it goes into production I'll buy. From what I have seen so far looks really good. Great work mate.

SmartPID is not specifically designed as GF controller replacement and is more a general purpose home brewing and process automation controller applicable in any brew rig as well as other applications (fermentation chamber just as an example) but I would just run a proof of concept of the retrofit and honestly is quite simple (in option one with no SSR) and maybe is good altermative.

I didn't run a full feature comparison with the new controller upgrade from GF (I see just some video preview) and for sure I expect they did a great job either on the HW and the SW also become they come after a series of other aftermarket controllers...so they have time to study :)

If someone is capable to add aslo a SSR (option 2) the gain in feature and functions from the original STC200 is really great
any idea or suggestions how to do ???

About costs...I can say will be cheaper…:)

homebrewing-application-features.png

enjoy
arzaman

About costs...I can say will be cheaper…:)

I can't believe I haven't seen this thread before. I reckon there is a heap of scope for this product.

All the electric brewery builds with numerous PID controllers and timers mounted to the front, hard switches, lights and such which take up a lot of room on the panel necessitating a large box. One of these could do away with multiple controllers and feed a couple of SSRs. On top of that the brew could be monitored and controlled from one's phone instead of a dicky set of menus. AND it logs data so you could literally check your ramps times and profiles during or after a brew. Winner.

TheWiggman said:
I can't believe I haven't seen this thread before. I reckon there is a heap of scope for this product.
Your kinds words reward me of all effort , investment and uncountable hours (night and day) spent to develop the product
Indeed I try to summarize many years of homebrewing experience, diy systems in something professionally engineered and productized

now running last mile..the hard one..to go live

stay tuned
Davide

Happy to announce that next week smartPID will go live on kickstarter !

Thank you for your patience, thank you for support and suggestions, thank you in advance for your contribution to bring smartpid to life

stau tuned!
arzman

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMgzq0XVB_4&feature=youtu.be[/media]

arzaman, can this be used to control 2 vessels from a single power source? i.e. heats up the HERMS and when the HERMS switches off due to PID control it then immediately switches over the the HLT.

TheWiggman said:
arzaman, can this be used to control 2 vessels from a single power source? i.e. heats up the HERMS and when the HERMS switches off due to PID control it then immediately switches over the the HLT.
Not sure about your set up but with the smart thermostat app you have two independent PID channels

ie you use two sensors and two outputs (realy , SSR..) to control two set up point and process

hope this help your application

In the hombrewing application one channel is used for mashing/boiling etc with full automation and 2nd channel is used to control an heating element for the sparge water

this is an example of setup

setup-mashhlt220pump.png

hope this help and fits your application

arzaman

I think the question is more along the lines if you can control total power consumption by having the two loads work in mutually exclusive mode.

For example, the SmartPID is connected to a 10A power source and has two 10A loads. You want to only run load A, or only load B at the same time, but never both A and B at the same time because that would cause overload on the source circuit.

Hi guys

I see that the breaking news is faster than me !

Yes smartPID is finally starts a crowdfunding campaign on INDIEGOGO
It has been very complex and demanding but at the end smartPID is now live

I see already some pledge from Aussie and traffic from the forum and your community and thanks to all early adopter and backers but now the most important think is to spread the news to reach the maximum number of people.
I have chosen the hard way “all or nothing” to reach a certain volume and MoQ to keep production cost and consequently price affordable and next days I will start some mkt campaign but the success of the campaign depends greatly on you and the world of mouth is the key..I kindly ask you to engage your homebrewing, DIY enthusiasts, makers friends an let them know about the campaing

sure of your support I will update regularly

br Davide
arzaman engineering

SmartPID-indiegogo-heading-x-FB-e1481185518636.png

Good luck

More $AUD than I was expecting, but it does have plenty of features

SmartPID-Xmas-banner-e1482518600162.png

I would like to wish marry Xmas and happy new year to all smartPID project supporters and crowdfunding campaign backers

Campaign will run on INDIEGOGO until 11/1 so you have still the chance to make yourself a gift and allow smartPID to go live !
Best wishes again

Davide
arzaman engineering

End of the year is time for balance !
2016 has been very hard and exciting, one year of design, development, prototypes, test ..lot of work and effort but also satisfaction
The startup of the project is not so easy and still some work have to be completed but I hope 2017 will bring definitely SmartPID controller to life !

Thank you for your support and happy new year to the whole community

Davide
arzaman engineering

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9cXHUep1Ac[/media]

Cool, how much $AUD for 1x unit?

Go and follow the links Benn. 80 euro once pre production is satisfied.

Then shipping.

Latest posts

Back