Show us your brewrig

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks razz, I suppose it'll just be vacant space inside the kettle when not in use, might get a nice little warm breeze coming up through it whilst I'm boiling.
I've flip-flopped on which way to go - immersion to counterflow to plate chiller back to an immersion chiller, just fixed in place.
I could always switch the setup around down the road to make it an HLT-based HERMS as in the link. I'm liking the flexibility. Out come the power tools this weekend...

I didn't go for it at the time because the ss coils weren't readily available. In hindsight it's very easy to clean out the kettle without having to manoeuvre around the coil. I've gone with copper immersion coil before whirlpool and then plate chiller to the fermenter.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Thought I'd add photos of my home made electric setup.

hsb said:
Does anyone here have a chilling coil permanently fitted in their kettle? I'm thinking of putting one in mine, with compression fittings. (So I could take it for a good clean now and then.)
I no chill for a lot of beers but would chill anything hop-forward like IPAs, ESB's etc.

I just wondered if there's any downside to having all that (stainless) tubing full of air inside the kettle, does it effect the boil negatively?

I would just leave the coil in/out open, no valves, can't see a need. I would just hook up the hose at the bottom and run tubing back to my HLT from the out to reuse the water for clean-up.
I'd prefer a permanent setup so I can fine-tune my whirlpooling, and it's not like I'll be using the coil anywhere else, so might as well plumb it in permanently.

I seem to recall donburke might have one that you don't use? Any downsides? Just taking stock before taking the plunge and drilling holes in my lovely kettle.
I dont have permanent coil in kettle
I do have a copper coil witch i leave in during boil
Only problem i have is when i boil, water and steam heat up in coil and it spits boiling water at me
I put a removable 90 deg bend on inlet and outlet to point it at the floor instead of me

Aussiedrifter said:
Thought I'd add photos of my home made electric setup.
Man! That is some nice looking kit right there, good work!

Send me your address and I will find some one with a label maker to sort out your control box :p

Seriously though, very nice rig!

Cocko said:
Man! That is some nice looking kit right there, good work!

Send me your address and I will find some one with a label maker to sort out your control box :p

Seriously though, very nice rig!
Ha. Thanks mate. Yer I do need some labels. That is the one thing that annoys me when I brew.

First run with the full new system on the weekend... Punched out 70 ltrs of LCPA and hit all my targets with my first attempt at fly sparging :)

4 Vessle Herms with 2 x Little Brown Pumps and 2 x 3 way ball valves so that there is no need to swap hoses during the brew... Awesome to be able to switch between recylcing through the HX and Fly sparging etc.

photo 3.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 1.JPG

As always still more things to come... need something to control the HLT (The Herm-It Controller has a setting for HLT but I need to talk to Nev about whether this can be used) and also need to mount a control box to house the Herm-IT controller and various pump switches.... and still trying to decide whether I mount the boiler on the brew trolley or leave it where it is.... Had my first ever boil over with this brew and was very glad that it wasn't on the brew stand!

Also need to work on the ramp speed of the HX... it takes bloody ages to ramp... something like 1c every 2-3 mins!

Camo

Camo1234 said:
First run with the full new system on the weekend... Punched out 70 ltrs of LCPA and hit all my targets with my first attempt at fly sparging :)

4 Vessle Herms with 2 x Little Brown Pumps and 2 x 3 way ball valves so that there is no need to swap hoses during the brew... Awesome to be able to switch between recylcing through the HX and Fly sparging etc.

attachicon.gif
photo 3.JPG

attachicon.gif
photo 2.JPG

attachicon.gif
photo 1.JPG

As always still more things to come... need something to control the HLT (The Herm-It Controller has a setting for HLT but I need to talk to Nev about whether this can be used) and also need to mount a control box to house the Herm-IT controller and various pump switches.... and still trying to decide whether I mount the boiler on the brew trolley or leave it where it is.... Had my first ever boil over with this brew and was very glad that it wasn't on the brew stand!

Also need to work on the ramp speed of the HX... it takes bloody ages to ramp... something like 1c every 2-3 mins!

Camo

Nice setup mate. Where's the mess though? My brew days never look that clean, I have stuff everywhere : )

Camo1234 said:

attachicon.gif
photo 3.JPG

attachicon.gif
photo 2.JPG

attachicon.gif
photo 1.JPG

Camo

Amazing.

:icon_drool2:

Get the kettle in place and you will learn how to avoid boil overs..... I would also add, that your HX vessel size is too big, assuming you are running Nev's coil too, this will be the reason for slow ramping... 2c.

Aussiedrifter said:
Nice setup mate. Where's the mess though? My brew days never look that clean, I have stuff everywhere : )

hahaha... that was when I was running water through it.... There was plenty of mess by the end... .my first boil over on top of numerous leaks due to not enough tape on the threads lead to a few leaks and plenty of mess from the boil over!

Cocko said:

Amazing.

:icon_drool2:

Get the kettle in place and you will learn how to avoid boil overs..... I would also add, that your HX vessel size is too big, assuming you are running Nev's coil too, this will be the reason for slow ramping... 2c.

cheers mate... I am thinking I will end up mounting the kettle with the spiral burner and maybe add some sort of heat sheild so that I don't burn the insulation on the MT.... I also think I will need to look at giving one of the normal set ups a go for Nev's coil... I don't fancy my own electrical work with 240v which is why I went with the 5 ltr urn but am thinking that I will give one of the rockets a go and get a sparkie to check it over for me before I plug her in..... Will also free up some space on the brew frame.

Was awesome to see 3 full cubes at the end of the day! I reckon I could manage 4 cubes if I controlled the boil over... But I also not want a 140 ltr kettle! (trying to tell myself to stop!)

Camo1234 said:
cheers mate... I am thinking I will end up mounting the kettle with the spiral burner and maybe add some sort of heat sheild so that I don't burn the insulation on the MT.... I also think I will need to look at giving one of the normal set ups a go for Nev's coil... I don't fancy my own electrical work with 240v which is why I went with the 5 ltr urn but am thinking that I will give one of the rockets a go and get a sparkie to check it over for me before I plug her in..... Will also free up some space on the brew frame.

Was awesome to see 3 full cubes at the end of the day! I reckon I could manage 4 cubes if I controlled the boil over... But I also not want a 140 ltr kettle! (trying to tell myself to stop!)
Good call on the 240v mate, not really something to be toying with!

Please keep us updated with any further additions/modifications - pix.

:icon_cheers:

Regarding the comments about the HX being too large, I was always under the impression that a larger HX would mean less spikes in temperatures and an overall more even temp mash. Wouldn't a small one mean the element is turning on and off all the time?

Hunt said:
Regarding the comments about the HX being too large, I was always under the impression that a larger HX would mean less spikes in temperatures and an overall more even temp mash. Wouldn't a small one mean the element is turning on and off all the time?
It does but the temp correction will be much quicker.
Too large a volume of hex water results in too slow a ramp speed. The smaller the volume the better.

Crusty said:
It does but the temp correction will be much quicker.
Too large a volume of hex water results in too slow a ramp speed. The smaller the volume the better.
+1

:)

bullsneck said:
Here's my latest project. It will get a run next weekend.
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
That urn looks like a little bit of over kill for sparg water, though the extra is probably useful for cleanup, nice setup, very tidy

Looks like I've just been fleeced on two welded sockets.
I was unable to stay until the end of the job, had to leave someone else to pay.

When I return, the internal threads in both sockets are useless. One doesn't even accept a fitting of any kind.

Called the 'provider' who claims everything is fine. Refuses to enter into discussion that there is a problem. And is now ignoring calls.

One of the fittings, they'd grinded away the compression fitting to try and shoehorn it in there and left it perched without any thread bite.

So angry right now, out of pocket, and left with a butchered kettle. Totally furious!

Giving a final chance before I name and shame and look into what action I can take.

hsb said:
Looks like I've just been fleeced on two welded sockets.
I was unable to stay until the end of the job, had to leave someone else to pay.

When I return, the internal threads in both sockets are useless. One doesn't even accept a fitting of any kind.

Called the 'provider' who claims everything is fine. Refuses to enter into discussion that there is a problem. And is now ignoring calls.

One of the fittings, they'd grinded away the compression fitting to try and shoehorn it in there and left it perched without any thread bite.

So angry right now, out of pocket, and left with a butchered kettle. Totally furious!

Giving a final chance before I name and shame and look into what action I can take.
Geez, I hope it wasn't Phil Jones?

Back