Qld Christmas 2015 Case Swap TASTING

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Earles cascade amber ale
Let's get this party started.
Bags of cascade in aroma, taste, and belch. I love cascade.
Doesn't have that cloying sweet taste that I've got from a few commercial amber's.

Great beer to kick off the tasting!

Carb level was pretty high but calmed down after a bit.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1449653367.382149.jpg

Earles amber as per Angus' notes but also a delicious bready malt character - yummm!

seehuusen said:
X2 unfortunately mate, it was murky as and had a sour twang to it...
x3 - Polyphenolic - burnt rubber.

Looks like it's likely the whole batch unfortunately.

Guys, apologies for the sour funky dark pond water. Had my first taste last night and was not impressed. Today the next sample the same. Again sorry for the garden fertiliser.

Gotta admit, Fitzip, I haven't got to any of the swaps yet, but magic happens! :)

If we could all predict these things, there wouldn't be any use dreaming about the next huge lotto win.

Edited to make sense 'cos the person in charge of the typing digits is inebriated.

#15 cidermans best bitter
Nice beer mate, good head retention and nice colour and clarity. Really nice malt profile, if I had one criticism it would be that its under bittered a touch, thats just me nitpicking though. Good job mate

luggy said:
Nice beer mate, good head retention and nice colour and clarity. Really nice malt profile, if I had one criticism it would be that its under bittered a touch, thats just me nitpicking though. Good job mate

Agreed Luggy - the balance was probably a touch sweet for my personal preference but it was a very good beer.

Fitzlp said:
Guys, apologies for the sour funky dark pond water. Had my first taste last night and was not impressed. Today the next sample the same. Again sorry for the garden fertiliser.
It happens to the best of us. What it means is you are committed to the next swap with something to make up for it :chug:

luggy said:
Thanks for the positive feedback. I'm still yet to catch up with the Frenchman and collect my beers so I'll start reviewing next week.

9. Fitzlp: Bright Ale (Amarillo dry hopped)
Yet another unfortunate me too.. :-(
Still drank it. :)

Tastes like one I made at some point. Like parks said, happens to all of us. :)

16. Parks - Belgian Pale Ale (READY)

Clear red-amber. Light estery raisin sweet malt aroma. Plenty of malt but not chewy, bit of balanced sweetness at the end. Nice. Did you use gladfields shepherds delight in this?

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1449743303.793469.jpg

8. kegs- galaxy/maris otter smash pale ale

Great beer. Nothing getting in the road of the galaxy flavours.

Great work on the head and foam retention. I'll put up a photo of the lacing when I am done.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1449744676.839148.jpg

4. Earle - cascade amber ale - (READY)

Imagine is SNPA was an amber ale and you had a super fresh bottle. That's what this is. You're a great brewer Earle. Citrusy/pine (unmistakable cascade) aroma, follows through with slight malt chew and a balanced hoppy burp finish. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1449745868.982201.jpg

Parks said:
Agreed Luggy - the balance was probably a touch sweet for my personal preference but it was a very good beer.
For some bizarre and unknown reason I got crazy good efficiency on this beer (by my standards) as it was destined to be an ordinary bitter. Had I upped the IBU to 35 or so would the balance have been better?

Probably, but I wouldn't be worried about it :chug:

Liam_snorkel said:
4. Earle - cascade amber ale - (READY)

Imagine is SNPA was an amber ale and you had a super fresh bottle. That's what this is. You're a great brewer Earle. Citrusy/pine (unmistakable cascade) aroma, follows through with slight malt chew and a balanced hoppy burp finish. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1449745868.982201.jpg
Thanks for the positive feedback guys. Glad you're enjoying it.

Back