Qld 2007 Xmas Swap - Case Consumption

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
18 - Tyred - Porter

Nice beer! Definitely a sweeter porter than I'm used to, but nice roasty, fruity flavours. Aroma was sweet, I almost get a faint vanilla, but I am known to make shit up. Carbonation spot on for my palate. Top effort!!!

Must really brew a porter some day, maybe even a Bourbon or Oak aged one.... mmmmm... :)

Cheers

Hi Brothers,,,

I finnished the last of my case last night ... No reviews , I did try to make a few notes on them as I sampled , but looking back at them they all say good ,nice enjoyed this one , or bloody great..

And they were Bloody great , Its put my taste back into reality and swill tastes like swill again, Oh its got me moving to get the brewery set up again and back into full prodution...Soooon...

Thanks too you all for the beers and a big thanks to Ross for sending them up .. It really came at a good time and has been great to have a real beer each day ,,

Will have to bring something specil for my next offering ...

Thanks guys....

15.StillScottish - Scottish Strong Ale

Wow, really like this beer. Poured a dark black, but a beautiful dark red when held up to the light. Almost porterish to my palate. Head faded fairly quickly. Carbonation spot on for this style. Sweet, a little fruity, but very well balanced. Enjoying very much.

As someone said, go professional mate! I'd pay for this!

Cheers

Still Scottish's Scottish ale
Very nice! Good malty sweetness. Thouroughly enjoyable and a good example of the style as well.

Tyred's Porter
Enjoyable. Great colour and body. Was kind of on the sweet side perhaps but not so much in a way that distracted from the beer to me.

MObRien's Double IPA
One of the better examples of this style I have tried for mine. Balance between hops and maltiness was spot on. Great strong hop flavour but didn't overpower the beer as can happen in this sort of beer all too easily. Didn't taste 100IBUs to me because there was enough of the malt and body to hold it.

Certainly put paid to the evening though...

That's the end of my case. Apologies for anyone I've missed but suffice to say your beer is gone regardless of whether I told you anything about drinking it :)

Still Scottish's Scottish ale

Done well Campbell, very nice and spot on style. I thought this was a great beer. Something you have to try - I put the cap back on wanting to have a second try the following night. What an improvement, a little less carbonation, don't know if it was my palate playing tricks but it tasted even better

Screwy

Armadillo Ale

Aroma Upfront passion fruit and fruity like a fruit cup, slight background cider.

Appearance Clear with a slight haze, very pale more like a pils, bubbly head which dies away and maintains a white layer due to the high carbonation.

Flavour Very fruity which possible hides the malt. Good bitterness for a session APA.

Mouthfeel Low body and dry, clean finish, the high carbonation emphasizes this.

Overall Impression Would be a very tasty session apa if not for the fruitiness which I think has come from high fermentation temps (Ive experienced this personally <_< ) and this is possible the reason for the low body.

Nick AAA

Aroma Malt and dark crystals, low hop aroma.

Appearance A lot of chill haze (I tested a bit in the microwave), low carbonation and a nice creamy looking head.

Flavour More hop dominated with a lot of grapefruit and a slight cider flavour possibly from bottle conditioning. Moderate bitterness with a slightly harsh finish.

Mouthfeel Low body and carbonation, some astringency.

Overall Impression Pretty much in the middle of the 2 styles of AAA, very malty/crystally or very hop (west coast style). Towards the end I was think it might fit in as a brown ale a little better.

Mothballs Vienna

Sorry Mothballs no notes :( but this was damn tasty and I have to brew an all vienna ale very soon.

Thanks for all the positive comments guys.
It's a bit frustrating for me though. Apart from one I had before the swap just to make sure it wasn't bad, I only have 1 bottle myself and I'm saving that to compare against the latest version which I'll be kegging tomorrow.
All my spare bottles ended up being left at Sqyre's place. I hope he enjoys them.

Campbell

23 ??? No label! This was way overcarbonated the foam plume hit the roof, and I have 3m ceilings! That said, I cant complain, I also opened a test bottle of mine from the swap, and it did a similar (albeit not with the ceiling hitting!) thing I guess were used to kegging not bottling! Great hops I was in the mood for a nice hoppy beer and this really went down fast. Too fast. Im having trouble typing..

1 Brown Ale Way under carbonated, but I loved it! Really light on the hops, great malt profile my wife loved this too, which tells me its a great malty beer!

M

All my spare bottles ended up being left at Sqyre's place. I hope he enjoys them.

Campbell
hmmmmm... might just duck out to the shed for a look see... :p
i still havent touched the case that was put in the fridge to chill... so if there are spares i still have them...
although they have been in the fridge all this time, that may be good for some bad for others?

If you like, your more than welcome to take back the ones you left...
Otherwise i will slowly consume.. :D

Sqyre.. ;)

EDIT: back from having a look.. 2 in the fridge, Campbell.

hmmmmm... might just duck out to the shed for a look see... :p
i still havent touched the case that was put in the fridge to chill... so if there are spares i still have them...
although they have been in the fridge all this time, that may be good for some bad for others?

If you like, your more than welcome to take back the ones you left...
Otherwise i will slowly consume.. :D

Sqyre.. ;)

Squyre,

My Regulation 5 double IPA needs to bottle condition - take em out and forget about them for 3 weeks!

M

Squyre,

My Regulation 5 double IPA needs to bottle condition - take em out and forget about them for 3 weeks!

M

I just had another look, and i found none of yours sorry mobrien... :(
Although i think i found another one of Campbells.
did you have some with white lids and some with black campbell?
if so i have 3.. :lol:

I just had another look, and i found none of yours sorry mobrien... :(
Although i think i found another one of Campbells.
did you have some with white lids and some with black campbell?
if so i have 3.. :lol:

Yes, black and white.
If you were closer I'd be tempted to come round and liberate one.
Enjoy them Bruce. I suppose it makes up for the megalitres I drained from your kegs. :D

Campbell

1. Screwtop - Newcastle Brown Ale

Murky brown colour. Slight fruitiness in the aroma. Carbonation level very low.

Carbonation noticeable when drinking but still very light. Very low bitterness up front. Maybe a little 'earthy' taste (hops ?). No bitterness in the aftertaste. Very tempting to start sculling. I'll let the rest of the bottle warm as the fridge is probably too cold.

Very easy drinking. I know you weren't happy with this Screwtop but it's still very enjoyable.

12. (16) Matt O'B (Mobrien) - IPA

Murky brown colour. Got over an inch of head from a gentle pour. Wonderful hop aroma - citrus is very evident.

Very hoppy flavour - citrus almost overwhelming the malt, but not quite. Bit of a sweet aftertaste, followed by some hop bitterness. Didn't appear to be overcarbonated even tho there was a massive head (after half a pint there's still about a centimeter of head). There other flavours in this as well, but I cannot pick them out. Very smooth mouthfeel as well.

Enjoying this beer very much. Time to refill the glass and finish the bottle. Thanks for this one. I think I'm starting to really appreciate hoppy beers.

26.DucatiBoy Stu - Red Ale

Deep amber, almost light brown in colour. Small white head which is slowly turning to a thickish ring around the rim of the glass. Very slight aroma but not hops.

Hop bitterness is there but is very well balanced against the malt. Very smooth mouthfeel. Carbonation doesn't appear to be holding, but there is some wonderful lacing on the glass. There is no lasting bitterness from the hops either.

Another very nice beer. Thanks DBS.

First of all I would really like to thank you guys for providing me with your great beers to try. I am sorry I have not rated any yet, as I have only recently picked them up from Rosscos joint. I have my brother in law coming over and we are going to try a few and hopefully post some feedback.

Mobriens Regulation 5 Double IPA.

Big cloudy head (how do you do that) no alcohol bite what so ever as the dry hopping schedule really hides any big hits. This beer is big and chewy. I get a hint of bubblegum and spice from all of the beautiful hops you have so painstakingly added during strategic points of the boil. I think your use of Norther Brewer has changed my opinion of this hop as it really distinguishes itself from other big IPA I've tried. I would of prefered a more bright beer but love American 2 as it provides a more complex flavour provile than us56. All in all a fantastic version.

Chads DunkelWeizen.

Big off white cloudy head that stands firmly like a soldier at a parade march (I get poetic license after Mobriens big beer) Chewy and tart from your use of very dark crystal malts and Safale Wb06. Aroma is of clove and pepper without the banana. Bitterness may have taken away from the subtle chewy banana sweetness intended for this style. For your second version I think that you have done a great job and I hope to mimic such a beer to the depth that you have shown. Maybe a touch to roasty for the style. Try using Carafa 2 instead of Bairds Choc for your next version. All in all a very easy drinking beer as it was intended. I would never attempt a double decotion. Well done Chad.

Cheers, JJ

25.Zizzle - English Pale Ale

Hazy golden colour. Head holding well. Some hop aroma, sweetish smell can't really pick what it is.

Sweetish taste, but that may be due to the smell. Appears to be very well balanced as hops and malt (to me at least) appear to be very well balanced. Probably would have been better earlier as it is very well carbonated (although well poured it didn't try to crawl out of the glass). A good head of fine white bubbles is still holding even half was through the pint. No lasting bitterness. Very smooth. Half way through I'm starting to detect a slight earthy flavour, which I assume is the hops.

Another very nice beer. Thanks, Zizzle.

24.WildaYeast - AG Dry Stout

Black. Possibly clear, but too dark for me to tell. No hop aroma that I can tell, but possible some malt. It appears to have lost carbonation. This may have been a bottle that had been hissing before I stuck them all in the fridge.

Great stout taste. Good up front roasty flavours. Aftertaste similar to aftertaste of black coffee ?Slight hops bitterness in the aftertaste as well. The low carbonation has detracted from this a little.

A very nice stout. Thanks for this one.

15.StillScottish - Scottish Strong Ale

Very dark, almost black in colour. Slight alcohol smell with malt/caramel undertones. No hops smell noticeable. Small tan head fell back to ring around top of glass.

Hop bitterness up front, but not overpowering. Malt flavour is quite evident. Perhaps a little roast flavour as well. Carbonation is moderate.

Thanks you very much for this one StillScottish.

17.Wrenny - Wrenny's Armadillo Blond Ale

Light golden colour. Slightly hazy. Smallish head with very fine bubbles. Light citrusy aroma.

Citrusy flavour up front. Light bitterness that doesn't last. Nice, smooth mouthfeel. Bitterness doesn't last for very long either.

All up, a very nice easy drinking beer. Perfect after a very busy and tiring week. Thanks for this Wrenny.

Latest posts

Back