Mill Motors

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day. How has the wiper motor turned out? I've been trying to get a bread machine motor to run my marga with no success yet, the the belt & pulley from the bread machine just slips and the motor might be a bit quick to run it without down-gearing of some kind. I'll might still persevere but just interested to find out if your idea worked and if so how you did it...

OK, ultimately I scrapped the idea. Not that it wasn't a viable option; it was. It's just that my brother lives down the road and he has a much bigger mill, and it's powered by a meat mincer with loads of torque, and has a professionally fabricated shaft with spider coupling, and it rips through 10kg of grain in 2 minutes.

So after a few nights of playing with the wiper motor, I realised it was going to take a bunch of time and experimenting to get it all working, and I didn't have that amount of time. So I sold the marga, and I now use my brother's mill.

I still have the wiper motor, in case I want to add a stir paddle to the mash one day...

So after winning a MillMaster MiniMill back in February I have finally got around to getting it going (don't ask) with the help of a mate with the welding skills with a worm drive.
For those interested you can see more photos and a video in my blog entry, otherwise here's a quick pic.

Thanks to everyone here inc MD as it wouldn't have turned out this way otherwise.

View attachment 57723

Now thats how I would want to do .... only change I'd make would be a cover over the drive shaft. Awesome work!!

file-29.jpg

This is my rig utilising the Ozito concrete drill. Bolted the alloy drive casing to the stand lined up correctly to the mill axle. Absolutely churns through the grain. Hopper is limited to about a kg at a time but I might have to build one that I can tip a full grain bill into. Massive step up from my crappy little Keg King mill!

My drills kaput... just spent half an hour on the weekend standing around like an idiot fighting it to grind 15KG of grain...

A 12V 30A PSU came across my desk today by happenstance... so I decided it was meant to be...

Just ordered the Motion Dynamics motor with "AHB" promo for 99$ with free local pickup :)

Now I just need to design/build a millstand :)

http://www.motiondynamics.com.au/worm-driv...s/12v-180w.html

With the next version of the controller I'll probably add the option for an adjustable current limit (optional because it will add to the overall cost!), but, if you hit that elusive rock, the unit will simply shut down until you reset it, instead of destroying the gearbox, mill or your house as the motor goes on a rampage mashing all it see's. And as a bonus, you wouldn't need any expensive clutched couplings either!

Does the current version already include above feature? If not, how far off is it?

Also, why would one choose either 12V or 24V? Is one performing better than the other?

So after winning a MillMaster MiniMill back in February I have finally got around to getting it going (don't ask) with the help of a mate with the welding skills with a worm drive.
For those interested you can see more photos and a video in my blog entry, otherwise here's a quick pic.

Thanks to everyone here inc MD as it wouldn't have turned out this way otherwise.

View attachment 57723

I like the neat little couplers you're using, which ones are those?

Just picked up the motor today. It's a beast :)

Thanks Shane

Just picked up the motor today. It's a beast :)

Thanks Shane

I doubt you'll be disappointed....

Regarding a coupling......I got a few inches of 12mm SS rod and fit that through the motor and used a 12mm x 12.7mm coupling from ebay for $14.99. The coupling will fit directly to your mill, assuming you have a 1/2" shaft of course, then onto the rod with no need to stuff around drilling anything.

I doubt you'll be disappointed....

Regarding a coupling......I got a few inches of 12mm SS rod and fit that through the motor and used a 12mm x 12.7mm coupling from ebay for $14.99. The coupling will fit directly to your mill, assuming you have a 1/2" shaft of course, then onto the rod with no need to stuff around drilling anything.

That looks like a good pre-built solution to me. Nice find.

I have a birthday coming up in a few months and my lovely wife has asked what I want... I'd like a already-to-go Mill setup.

This looks the goods, right?: http://www.motiondynamics.com.au/worm-driv...s/12v-180w.html

If any members who have this can comment on how it performs, I'd appreciate that. Anything else I need to get, other than the mill, the hopper and a stand?

Thanks in advance.

"Im dead sexy" - said the Mill Setup
Thanks ;)

I have a birthday coming up in a few months and my lovely wife has asked what I want... I'd like a already-to-go Mill setup.

This looks the goods, right?: http://www.motiondynamics.com.au/worm-driv...s/12v-180w.html

If any members who have this can comment on how it performs, I'd appreciate that. Anything else I need to get, other than the mill, the hopper and a stand?

Thanks in advance.
Yep that's the one, same as mine above and if you didn't see it I wrote a short blog entry and a video on it too here.

I bought mine with the speed controller and am over the moon with the motor and mill.
Apart from what you've mentioned you'll need a coupler of sorts (nice one linked above ready to go) another shaft for the motor and some basic wiring/electrical supplies to finish it off.

You can't go wrong with this motor though, bloody brilliant.

Thanks in advance.

Don't forget the "AHB" promo code at checkout. 99$

Apart from what you've mentioned you'll need a coupler of sorts (nice one linked above ready to go) another shaft for the motor and some basic wiring/electrical supplies to finish it off.
You can't go wrong with this motor though, bloody brilliant.
Please excuse my ignorance.

Wambesi and Kev, if I get the combo Kev has listed, I will still need to get the coupler and shaft, right?

Should I get the clutched coupler that Motion Dynamics mention? If so, are cheap Chinese shitters like THIS suitable?

I am really flying blind here...

AHB code ain't giving me a discount. The promo code is for motor only.

Latest posts

Back