Mill Motors

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just get the coupling I linked previously to HERE. I have been using one now for some time and it's still going strong. For $15 you can't get it wrong imo.

You'll need a 12mm rod and depending how far you mount your mill away from the motor as to the length you'll need.

You will also need some way of powering the motor. I used an old PC server power supply that I modified and placed in an old alarm cabinet. This LINK is some of what I did that might help give you an idea what you need. Although you could just run it from a car battery without the need for a power supply.

Even though I have the speed controller it is really not necessary.

Cheers

According to the guys at motion dynamics, as long as you use a split pin to anchor the drive shaft to the motor, the pin should fail in the event of an issue and save the day

just got back to work, and have a parcel pickup notice from auspost... hoping its my cheap chinese coupler ;)

Speak of the devil, cheap chinese 12.7 x 12 coupling 'arrived' today.

Looks nice enough, posted 13th Dec, arrived 24th Dec at post office. Our office has been closed over christmas break, so the nice post lady delivered the "you have mail" card today :)

Now I just need some 12mm shaft to finish motorizing my mill :)

Stux said:
Speak of the devil, cheap chinese 12.7 x 12 coupling 'arrived' today.

Looks nice enough, posted 13th Dec, arrived 24th Dec at post office. Our office has been closed over christmas break, so the nice post lady delivered the "you have mail" card today :)

Now I just need some 12mm shaft to finish motorizing my mill :)
i just used an M12 diameter bolt that was long enough, cut the head off and drilled a hole for the split-pin at one end and a dimple for a grub screw at the other end. Simple.

Brewnut said:
i just used an M12 diameter bolt that was long enough, cut the head off and drilled a hole for the split-pin at one end and a dimple for a grub screw at the other end. Simple.
Cool. Thanks

Brewnut said:
Here is a link to my build so far for my grain mill including motor and speed controller from Motion dynamics. :kooi:
http://brewnutbrewing.com/blog/2013/01/grain-mill-test/
Birthday week, this week for me. I have the Motion Dynamics motor with DC speed controller, and the Mashmaster MiniMill, with the Chinese coupler en route...

I am SOOOOO out of my depth with all of this...

So, I need to get a 12mm shaft from somewhere (length dependent on distance of motor to mill) and a PSU, housing for electronics, and bench... and somehow hook it all up together... oh, and a hopper... this is getting pretty intense!

Any final words of wisdom, from those who have been here and done that?

Does anyone know roughly how much torque is needed for the monster mill 2?

just catching up on this thread, I have about 3m of 12mm bright steel rod in the garage (I'm pretty sure its 12mm I'll have to check to be 100%). Anyone in sydney needing a 12mm shaft I probably could get it to you. I think the cost of postage would make it not cost effective to post.

Matho, I srill need to get a shaft for my motor, got the coupling already

I'm in mt riv, can I grab a foot or so?

sure that shouldn't be a problem, I'll measure it tonight and PM you.

Can anyone help me with the wiring for my motion dynamics motor with speed control?

Is it possible to power with 240V or is this too much ******* around?

How is everyone else powering/ wiring it up?

The motion dynamics wiring diagram isn't that helpful, and when I emailed for help, the bloke that answered didn't really explain anything....

You can use a PC power supply. I used an old one I found around work here.
This will give you an idea of the mod I had done for it to work http://www.flickr.com/photos/67507372@N08/sets/72157630126441728/

I am not home at the moment so can't take a pic of the actual wiring of the speed controller but I know it really wasn't hard at all. I'll take a pic or two tonight but can't post them until tomorrow.

If you can't find a power supply to suit for now (you can get them cheap from Ebay), just use a car bettery or one of those jump start power supply packs. Both will power the motor without the need for any mods.

Edit: holey moley, didn't realise the forum would play a slideshow of the whole folder. Photo no. 15-18 are obviously the power supply

I just ordered 2 of these power supplies (one for a mate, one for me).
240W should be perfect for the 200W motor. If not, I've only wasted $20/40 - done worse than that before.

Dan2 said:
I just ordered 2 of these power supplies (one for a mate, one for me).
240W should be perfect for the 200W motor. If not, I've only wasted $20/40 - done worse than that before.
Can anyone comment on if this is suitable and recommended?

12V 20A 240W, reads the spec's.

Spiesy said:
from memmory, if you go back about halfway through the thread,
the man who sells these motors has suggested using those power units for the job.
hope that helps.

If I was to purchase one of those $20 LED power supplies, how did you guys hook it up?

Photos labelled like Amber Fluid would be really helpful.

Sorry to keep asking silly questions, but I am terrible at electronics....

Latest posts

Back