Motion Dynamics Mill Motor Wiring

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The original MillMaster, I love mine. They don’t make them like that anymore!

I have the original millmaster as well, still going strong after all these years.

Damn, thats a beautiful job. Clever implementation too. On the old controllers I had current limiting, which if there was a sunnen spike in the current, it would stop, then reverse and try again. But later versions of the controllers didnt have this because so many people found it really difficult to use because you could actually program it. We started getting a whole bunch of calls where we had to run people through the settings over the phone and some calls were hours.

Thats when we realised it was an issue and we needed to make it simpler.

Honestly, I have no doubt. I've not bagged the motor, I've just disagreed with Sidney. Now that I've actually looked at it, its just what I said it was, a 120w motor, connected to a 7.5:1 gearbox. It only needs a GN gearbox because the torque is so low. Its only putting about 5.7nM max at 180rpm, ours at similar speeds is up around the 20-25nM range depending on your power supplies ability to carry current and if you go into overdrive mode, it can go higher. Sid thinks Im bagging this unit, but I'm not. Its a great unit. Thats innovation. So I give them full credit for what they've built and how easy they've made it to hook up. And I happen to like the guys at KK. More power to them.

All I was saying is that Its NOT the specs the forum users gave me when I built our motor. They told me they needed 20-30nm of torque @ 180 RPM. Thats what I gave them.

I'm not saying its a bad product, it's actully a really clever product, we just didn't go that way, although it would be pretty easy for us to improve on this with the same design to give you more options and make ours cheaper, but why? why compete with our people that have helped us on our journey? We're not going to do that because we respect Australian companies, they are a small business just like us... We get some sales, they get some sales, easy and it helps both of us.

Its even a decent price for a induction motor of that size. Thats better than ours in in that its cheaper, and it can simply be plugged straight into the wall. Theres nothing wrong with that at all. Its a really nice design.

But like anythig in life, theres a reason we didn't go down this road, and its more than the capacity of the motor.
Thats all fair enough, but I think what the calculations also need to take into account is the roller diameter and width. I actually have a 90w motor kk kit driving a standard 2 roller mill with only 1 roller driving and other is passive and it handles the load fine, but I see from the MillMaster photos that the roller drum diameter is a fair bit larger and that would have a direct gearing influence on the surface speed and the torque required to crush the grain, after all, the drum is a gear too!
So people should think about that before making a buying decision.

Grok, you're correct in regards to the ratios. At the end of the day though, torque is torque and speed is speed. 6 vs 20-25@180 rpm, thats a fair difference. So ours will handle not only bigger mills, but also power through sustained loads, though the advantage of the KK is that its much easier to connect. So I get the appeal. Ours isn't as simple to connect to power. But thats NOT our fault, thats Australian Law.

I'm not going to take their idea, no matter how good I think it is, but if they wan't help, I'll show them how to give their units more features to make them a lot more versitile. Ultimately, Its beneficial for the community, stops price gouging, gives people other options and I'm ok with that. They're doing the same thing as we are, and thats giving you options that don't include multiple belts and chains. In my view, some of those setups were killers, especially with no guards etc. Safety always comes before profit.

I only have an issue when people jump into a conversation NOT having a clue what the hell they are talking about. Thats the only reason I was cheesed at Sid. But in hindsight, why should I expect him to know the law? He's just an end user and a brewer.
He thinks our kit is rubbish because we don't include a power supply and coupling (the coupling part I can understand) but calling a product half assed because we have to follow the law wouldn't make anybody happy.

But we still won't be able to supply the Power supplies until we can find a decent brand. I spent the last few days calling Australian suppliers and all of them are charging prices that are just insane unless you buy them in BULK. I may also look at a solution for those that are running mills with way more than normal rollers.

Its just time. I'll get there with our kit. The more you know, the better ideas you can put forth.

Back