Mill Motors

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dougsbrew said:
from memmory, if you go back about halfway through the thread,
the man who sells these motors has suggested using those power units for the job.
hope that helps.
thanks mate.

There's been about 4 different controllers used with this setup, and some of them are vastly different as the product has matured. The new one is different again, so before you post wiring diagrams it might be wise to check which version of the controller he has!
I can make a wiring diagram to show how to connect it all, but the 240v side, I'm a little hesitant to show as different manufacturers use different outputs on different power supplies, and if I showed the ones I use, it may be different to yours and somebody may get hurt.

That's not something I'm prepared to risk.

If he asked me for help and he didn't understand the reply, then he's going to have problems from the get go. These are simple, they only need 4 wires to work.
But, if you truly don't have a clue about the wiring, post a shot of what you have and I'll draw you a wiring diagram. Honestly, its not rocket science.

Also, be aware that some of the power supplies we've encountered are a little optimistic on the current they can actually supply.
We had a customer come in who's motor wouldn't power his mill... When we tested his 40A power supply, we were only able to get about 21A from it, so the unit would stall under a heavy load.

Remember these motors can be over driven a lot, and while 16A is the nominal power requirement, for those with bigger mills it might actually pay to get a higher current supply because if you have it available, then the motor will use it.

Spiesy said:
Can anyone comment on if this is suitable and recommended?

12V 20A 240W, reads the spec's.
My mate tried his PS the other day on his monster mill (6" rollers)
- no good. Stalled

King Brown Brewing said:
Can anyone help me with the wiring for my motion dynamics motor with speed control?

Is it possible to power with 240V or is this too much ******* around?

How is everyone else powering/ wiring it up?

The motion dynamics wiring diagram isn't that helpful, and when I emailed for help, the bloke that answered didn't really explain anything....
KB

I am using one of the oatley push bike motors and powering it with an old Xbox power supply. I'm don't know how suitable it would be for this motor but it would be worth your while looking into using one. My local electronics repair guy has dozens of these old Xbox power supplies spare (as would any other electronics shop anywhere I suspect).
I was lucky to get mine for nothing and there is a you tube video available to show how to wire it up.

Using the Crankenstien 3 roller mill and we had a bit of trouble powering it.Tried using my trusty old Oatley electronics motor and a 16 amp power source with no success, just not enough torque or power to keep it going.

Ended up with the motion dynamics motor and a 12v 30 amp power supply from ebay. Works very well, didn't get the optional speed controller with the motor and to be honest I don't see the need for one, it turns the mill at the perfect speed as far as i can tell.

When I did mine I used one that had a 10mm hole on both sides, and just drilled out one side to 12mm. It was from jaycar, but I can't see it in their catalog anymore.

Otherwise lovejoy allows you to buy the 2 sides separately, and they work together.
So you need a
10mm coupling hub
12mm coupling hub
spider

QldKev

The coupler I got on recommendation from a member, does not fit.

I could try Kev's method, and bore it out - or invest in a nice Lovejoy.

symphony1975 said:
question about couplers.....the shaft on my mill is 10mm and the shaft for the motor end is 12mm...people have mentioned this spider coupler in this thread

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Jaw-Shaft-Coupling-Spider-Flexible-Coupler-12-x-12-7mm-/290614816059?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item43a9fe2d3b

but it says its 12mmX12.7mm.....do i need to look for one that is 10mmX12mm?

any input or help guiding me to the right coupler i need would be brilliant!

cheers
One of these will do the job $6.98 and free delivery

I'm really glad that people have gotten good use out of these, it makes me really happy to see all the creativity and especially the finished products.
I've been getting a lot more time as of late to get work done, so I'm looking to build a cheaper controller for these so I can drop the overall cost.
The controller that I send out with the current version is just a massive overkill for running the mill motor.

I should have a competition or something so I can give some away.... I wonder what the forum rules are for that kind of thing?

Go right ahead, first poster to answer your last post wins. :D

motiondynamics said:
Thats a great idea!
There are 337 posts in this thread, I could just use random.org to draw a winner from one of the posts
Better idea, pick the first user with the username "QldKev" :D

motiondynamics said:
Thats a great idea!
There are 337 posts in this thread, I could just use random.org to draw a winner from one of the posts
Another good idea would be to put a link to your business in your signature...

Latest posts

Back