Mill Motors

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
motiondynamics said:
The rated current of the motor is 16A (200W) !!!, but you can overdrive them to about 35-40A after which they will just stall. At this point the motor power output is somewhere around 480W, but it doesn't seem to bother the motor much.
It's also proven to be a powerful enough motor and fast enough for Motion Sims too! They use them in cockpit simulators for computer racing games.
I wonder why we need so much power? For the past few years (way before you offered this motor to us and before this thread started) I've been running my mm2, using a different geared motor which is rated at 10.4amps, with just an 8amp power supply and it never stalls. I can even load up my hopper with 5kg grain and then start it. I understand with a 3 roller mill you have two lots of grain contact at a time, hence it would almost double the load, but aren't most these mills just 2 roller ones? I do think you currently have the best option for a DC motor, but I'm trying to get my head around such big loads.

I suppose it depends on the type of gearing and speeds. You need to remember, a worm drive isn't particularly efficient and getting both power and speed is difficult.

MattSR its in progress still. The current limiter is finished, but I want to add a heat adjustable overload too, which I haven't gotten around to.It's literally sitting on a bench beside me

imgp2288h.jpg

MattSR said:
The only feature that I'm holding out on is the current limiter. If it had this I would purchase straight away, do you have an ETA as to if and when this feature might be implemented?
If you're talking about the 'rock safety feature' then I'm in the same boat, just holding out for that.

Keep everything else as it is, i still want the speed control etc.

If you can source a quality coupling then even better. From memory my mill shaft is 1/2 inch, can't find the specs anymore as it's not sold anymore (original Mashmaster Millmaster MKII).

Got my mill stand and everything else ready to go.

That's gold!

Can't wait to get one happening on my Millmaster :)

motiondynamics said:
MattSR its in progress still. The current limiter is finished, but I want to add a heat adjustable overload too, which I haven't gotten around to.It's literally sitting on a bench beside me

Liking how this is all coming together into one easy/neat package. Put me down for one when ready!

I have finally got around to putting together my motor on my millmaster, (not the mini one).The motor has been gathering dust for ~6 months now. Just one problem i came across tonight, how do i take off the handle as the key is in pretty tight?
Suggestions?

My build is almost done. It's been going on for 3-months, although I'm sure it could have been done a lot earlier. But, I have spent a lot of time, money and general sanity in getting it done. Hoping that I hit the nail on the head this weekend.

Massive PITA's:
Working out the electronics. Fear of death and cooking the motor and PSU were a hindering thought, and rightfully so.
Designing a mill, as Mashmaster don't seem to want to make a decent one for their MiniMill.
Getting the correct coupler. From memory, the MiniMill (which is Aussie made, isn't it?) used imperial measurements, whereas MD use metric. First coupler recommended to me didn't fit - ended up getting a custom "badboy" from the local Lovejoy dealer for around $50. It's a beast!

Fingers crossed.

Hey Matt,
its on the backburner at the moment, I've just been swamped getting everything I need to get finished. I added the current limiter, but not an over temp sensor, basically I couldn't find one that was suitable and low cost.
I'll get back to the project as soon as I can find some spare time!

Bummer, I saw that you posted and was hoping you had some good news.

Waiting patiently.

Its in progress, just stalled a little... we've had some problems with manufacturing as of late and have hit more than a few snags with bad assembly which has kept us really busy and working back like really really late!

My old Oatly motor didn't like crushing corn and has decided it needs to sleep for a while. I've just placed an order for the brewers package. At almost 3 x the toque it should find life a bit easier.

Still no overload version unfortunately as per website.

Are you getting a clutched coupling, Kev?

What about a simple shear pin?

Just to update everyone (again sorry for the delays), As of late, we've had some major assembly issues with our last few batches of boards.
The first batch we did (around June last year) for some strange reason the pcb manufacturer joined the planes between the layers of the PCB which rendered the entire batch of controllers as junk (1000 pieces!!!). It was not possible to fix them, there were just too many shorts.
We had another lot built in November (last year) and for that lot, because the assembly factory we normally use was so busy, they palmed the assembly off to another company who obviously didn't have a clue that components have polarity and just put things in, in any direction that suited them. Needless to say that batch was also a complete write off.

This has had some pretty bad knock back effects on our business because there's no such thing as getting a refund from China for poor work (the buck always gets passed), and despite the faults, we still have to pay the PCB company and the parts supplier each time someone makes a mistake. It's not even viable to try and salvage the parts on the boards.The cost would simply be too high, so each time we have to pay again. Trust us when we say, this is a HUGE cost for us to be out.
Over the next couple of weeks (as cash builds up) I'll be putting them back through assembly again. This time they will go through the original pcb company, original assembly company (and we will pray that nobody makes mistakes this time!)

Florian said:
Still no overload version unfortunately as per website.

Are you getting a clutched coupling, Kev?

Batz said:
What about a simple shear pin?
Sorry didn't see these posts.

I still haven't go t this setup yet. The coupler I have is just an ebay spider coupler. The 12mm shaft from the motor is setup using a pin, so as Batz suggested I'm just going to just something that can shear off if the roller gets jammed on something.

motiondynamics said:
Just to update everyone (again sorry for the delays), As of late, we've had some major assembly issues with our last few batches of boards.
The first batch we did (around June last year) for some strange reason the pcb manufacturer joined the planes between the layers of the PCB which rendered the entire batch of controllers as junk (1000 pieces!!!). It was not possible to fix them, there were just too many shorts.
We had another lot built in November (last year) and for that lot, because the assembly factory we normally use was so busy, they palmed the assembly off to another company who obviously didn't have a clue that components have polarity and just put things in, in any direction that suited them. Needless to say that batch was also a complete write off.

This has had some pretty bad knock back effects on our business because there's no such thing as getting a refund from China for poor work (the buck always gets passed), and despite the faults, we still have to pay the PCB company and the parts supplier each time someone makes a mistake. It's not even viable to try and salvage the parts on the boards.The cost would simply be too high, so each time we have to pay again. Trust us when we say, this is a HUGE cost for us to be out.
Over the next couple of weeks (as cash builds up) I'll be putting them back through assembly again. This time they will go through the original pcb company, original assembly company (and we will pray that nobody makes mistakes this time!)
So are there still some available? Was going to order one next week after pay day

Natdene said:
So are there still some available? Was going to order one next week after pay day
Yep, just ordered one half an hour ago before seeing this. Will I still get one?

Back