Mill Motors

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys, will order the ebay coupler and a spare to get things going.

For the shaft am looking at some stainless 12mm rod, looks like it is for hanging exhaust or something similar. I can get a metre for about $10 plus delivery so I figure if I can cut that down to the correct size, drill a hole in an appropriate place and connect to the motor using a pin I'll be away.

Bugger, I got my LoveJoy for $40 delivered, I just wanted the quality...

Where did you get it from? I couldn't find the product I was after online and when I contacted the Australian distributer they were going to charge over $30 just to bore one end out! I've ordered the cheap and cheerful and if it shits itself will look at the lovejoy, for $40 I would ahve gone that to begin with.

What did you use for a drive shaft?

contrarian said:
What did you use for a drive shaft?
Go with aluminium mate - much easier to get a drill through for the split pin. And plenty strong enough.

I went through these guys - there's no need to drill anything out as 12mm and 12.7mm are standard coupling sizes off the shelf.

Thanks Matt, ordered the chinese one yesterday but have sent an inquiry to these guys to see what price they can do.

Nice tip Dan, found some nice aluminium rod which is now on the way and will be much easier to drill than stainless!

Really appreciate the help, I am reasonably handy but have never attempted something like this before and am really looking forward to having it all set up. Should have much more luck building a table for it all to attach to!

I have a meter of 12mm gal steel rod if anyone wants a length.

Well my power supply and aluminum drive shaft have arrived so I can start piecing this all together. Just waiting on the coupler but there's plenty to do in the mean time. Off to the tip shop to look for a suitable table to convert for starters and then wiring up the controller and power supply. Always good to have a project on the go.

Was also wondering where people sourced their jiffy boxes for the power supply and controller for this set up? Had a look at the local jaycar and their largest box looked like it would struggle to fit the power supply as well as the controller. Have done some bodgy jobs with temp controllers in the past but would like this to be a slightly classier build!

contrarian said:
Was also wondering where people sourced their jiffy boxes for the power supply and controller for this set up? Had a look at the local jaycar and their largest box looked like it would struggle to fit the power supply as well as the controller. Have done some bodgy jobs with temp controllers in the past but would like this to be a slightly classier build!
I don't think any of the eBay ones are big enough for the power supply. I bought one from my local electrical wholesalers - roughly 230x175x90 mm (external).

Dan2 said:
I don't think any of the eBay ones are big enough for the power supply. I bought one from my local electrical wholesalers - roughly 230x175x90 mm (external).
Thanks Dan, have had a look and think I have found some electrical wholesalers that stock boxes that would fit. I was thinking that the controller would need to sit next to the power supply to minimise the impact of the heat but could be wrong there.

Also had my coupler arrive only to realise that the drive shaft on my mill was not 1/2", it seems like it is either 3/8" or 1/4" unfortunately I don't have anything accurate to measure with like calipers so am just using a ruler.

At least I know that the first lot of grain that goes through this setup will have been well earned!

contrarian said:
.......... I was thinking that the controller would need to sit next to the power supply to minimise the impact of the heat but could be wrong there.....

........At least I know that the first lot of grain that goes through this setup will have been well earned!
Not sure what you mean by heat there.

My power supply is on one side of the mill, and the controller on the other side - no issues so far.

Took me a while to get all the parts - then quite a while longer to get it all together. But the effort is worth it - weigh the grain, chuck it in - no sweat!

That makes sense. I was thinking about having the power supply and controller in the same jiffy box but it sounds like that isn't necessary. I have no doubt this will be well worth it in the end!

I got my box from Haymans size is 287x240x107. A lot of guys have two boxs, one for power supply and one for the controller. Just depends on what set up you are going for. Mine was on flat board so I can pick it up and hang on the wall out of the way. When time to mill place on two buckets, one for the milled grain and one as support

I'm using a cheapo store tupperware container with a Jaycar 12V fan.

Dunno if it needs the fan, but probably doesn't need all the led lights and multistage switchgear either ;)

I bought the motion dynamics motor the other day, just waiting on a power supply, im interested to see how others have been mounting theirs, any advice and pictures of others setups would be appreciated
Cheers

I've gradually been piecing the bits and pieces together for my build, will be ute to post photos as it all comes together.

Cheers mate I think I've got it sorted just wanted to see how others were going about it

Back