Mill Motors

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals,

I'm new here so if I've posted in the wrong section, then sorry! My name is John from www.motiondynamics.com.au

I had a customer ring on Friday looking for a milling motor i think he mentioned to crush grain in a monster something or other, and he was obviously on a mobile because I could barely make out every fifth word...then he dropped out, rang back dropped out rang back, dropped out then quit...

He mentioned he was a member from an aussie brewing forum, whether thats this or another one I don't know, but this was the first I found in my search.

Anyway, we mostly sell geared ac motors but he was interested in the planetary DC Gear Motors, so can you guys give me ideas of what sort of motors you use? what the torque requirements are, rpm and voltage?

Thanks!
John Spencer

Mate you are going to be popular for a bit :p

Get your fingers ready for some typing ;)

Some people have used these motors: Oatley Electrics

They're specced at about 7Nm and around 300rpm from a DC source.

If you have something similar that can be easily hooked up to a 3/4" drive shaft on a Monster Mill, I reckon you're going to be inundated with queries from this site. Even better if it runs off AC, then I don't need a battery.

Keep us updated

Hi John.......and welcome to the forum!

It is good to hear that you have gone to such an extent to find your potential customer..............that is customer service that you do not often see these days........so congratulations on that. I hope you do find that caller. And as others have already said.......you are going to find a lot if interest on your motors from this forum ( as long as they suit our application - of which I am sure they will ).
Once again.....congratulations on your endeavour to provide what I see as exceptional customer service.

Cheers
Chris

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the good information!

Its not really something we normally keep in stock, but going by the Oatley specs and the specs of the Monster Mill, the motor its definitely something we can get a hold of. We can get the torque with the Planetary Gearmotors, but not the speed and while the AC motors will do it, they tend to be a bit expensive for this type of application. Really something dedicated for just this purpose would be ideal.

Just some questions, can you load up the mill and run a slower but higher torque motor? How fast does the mill process the grain? would more speed or more torque be more beneficial?

Thanks for the help guys, it just helps me to make sure I choose the best product for this application.

Also, nealry forgot! For those using the Oatley Geared DC Motor, what are the advantages/Disadvantages you have found while using it? And what voltages are suitable for people in general? AC or DC? 12/24/90/180 Volts etc?

Cheers!
John

Is this you? http://www.motiondynamics.com.au/

If so I wouldn't be afraid of putting a link in your signature, I am looking for a fairly compact little geared drive to run a CO2 pump and will be in touch on Monday. If you have good products most here will welcome you as a resource, if for no other reason than to pick your brains.

MHB

subscribed B)

Looking forward to seeing what options there may be.

Given there are a few of us with MM's, maybe a bulk of us may be interested in a group buy, if things look good :ph34r:

Hi everybody!

MHB, I didn't want to come across as a spammer lol, I know what its like when trash invades forums, it's just not a nice thing to see or put up with, so I though I would just introduce myself in the hope my customer who rang might see the message and give me his details!

At the moment I'm thinking of between a 400-500w motor to give an output of about 300-500 RPM with about 15-17Nm of torque...

That would give more speed and power to the mill, but I don't know how the mill would react to a faster crank speed... ie will the grain sail around the room? will the increased torque put strain on the mill if someone gets ambitious?

Is there any moisture where the motors will run? should I try and find a cheap anti shock coupler to go from the motor to the 3/4 shaft from the monster mill? what is the shape of the monster mill shaft? is it d-cut? or round? also I'm thinking of a mount that will let you sit the motor parallel to the mill for convenience and ease of setup...

Theres always so many unknowns when trying to get a motor suitable for a particular purpose and cost always plays a big factor and obviously I want to get it as cheap as possible so people can save some money and enjoy good value, but its better to have something everybody can setup easily rather than a few of the more creative people retrofitting random products.

And it never ceases to amaze me what people can accomplish when they set out to achieve something.

People are always welcome to pick my brains. Good service always starts somewhere!

Cheers!
John

I'll post my 2c worth here, don't worry if you mill runs slower that the recommended 300-400 rpm. If a motor at a fair price can be found thats runs at even 150-200 rpm with the required torque it would be more that suitable.
So what if it takes a bit longer? You load up your hopper and go on with something else, and IMO a slow crush is a better crush anyway, something around 200 rpm would be my choice.

Oh and welcome to the site motiondynamics, it'll be interesting to see what you come up with. I think we need to give you a retailer thingy as well.

Batz

I'll post my 2c worth here, don't worry if you mill runs slower that the recommended 300-400 rpm. If a motor at a fair price can be found thats runs at even 150-200 rpm with the required torque it would be more that suitable.
So what if it takes a bit longer? You load up your hopper and go on with something else, and IMO a slow crush is a better crush anyway, something around 200 rpm would be my choice.

Oh and welcome to the site motiondynamics, it'll be interesting to see what you come up with.

Batz

Agree with you there; depending on mill roller size, for my mill 150RPM is best...

QldKev

What would you consider a fair price for AC and for DC? bear in mind that AC is more expensive than DC though (DC is also more forgiving for speed variances than AC too)

Cheers!
John

That's what we are waiting for you to tell us :lol:

Batz

Slower speed and higher torque is the go, if it runs to fast it wont actually crush the grain, just tear it to pieces . 200Rpm is a good starting point

Mills need lots of torque at startup,

What would you consider a fair price for AC and for DC? bear in mind that AC is more expensive than DC though (DC is also more forgiving for speed variances than AC too)

Cheers!
John

hint: what's your best $ for a decent DC setup ?

if we buy it's good!

QldKev

Agree with you there; depending on mill roller size, for my mill 150RPM is best...

QldKev

Another in agreement here. between 100\200RPM max suits me fine.
Also, not everybody uses Monster Mills with the 3\4" shaft. My Crankenstien 3-roller has a 1\2" dia shaft while others have a smaller 3\8" shaft.
Just another little thing to take into consideration when working out the ideal motor + coupling.

TP

also, I'm not sure how many of us are left unmotorized but the old millmasters had that notorious 12mm shaft on them

Also, the mill master shafts are keyed. 12mm with a 4mm key, and the new 1/2" shaft is whatever is stander on 1/2" I guess :p

Latest posts

Back