Mash times

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feralbass

Reaction score
Hi folks.
Probably a dumb question to most, however, what effect do you get if you mash longer than 60 mins.
I basically do a kit with 2 or 3 kg of grain mashed at 66 deg for 60 mins, with mid and late hops.
Thanks in advance for any replies, cheers, John.

I have found no real issues, doing all grain I have tested from 45 min to 12 hours and only real difference is my efficiency. I was worried with the longer mashes but last year did 60,180,8 hour and 12 hour mashes and people could not pick the difference in a triangle test. Albeit I added extra water for the 8 and 12 hour as my efficiency was a lot higher. I use an esky for mash tun and find my temp loses not too bad.... The long mash is magic as I can set up to mash before bed and complete a brew before work the next day

There are two main sets of enzymes within malt responsible for converting starch to various sugars.
Alpha amylase converts starch to longish chain sugars that are less fermentable and therefore add to body and mouthfeel. It is optimised by temperatures in the high 60s and low 70s and when optimised, it works quite quickly.

The other enzyme, beta-amylase is able to break starch and longer chain sugars down to very short chain sugars which are almost entirely fermented by yeast and add little to body or mouthfeel. This is optimised by temperatures in the very high 50s all the way to mid 60-ish. It takes longer to do its business than alpha.

These optimal temp ranges are just that - ranges. Therefore while alpha might work great at 68, it will still be (less) active at 64. Beta will still be (less) active at 69.

However as things get towards the hotter end of their range, they will denature. This takes time -it's not instant although the hotter it gets, the quicker the denaturing takes.

Take all those bell curves and summarise - at 66 both alpha and beta are active. The longer you're there, the more shorter chain, fermentable sugars will result (within reason) so longer mash* within range = more fermentable wort.

*until all the available enzymes have denatured

Esky mash does get good efficiency. That's the way I started all grain.
Single infusion to get around 65c. Seal the lid shut. Leave it for 75minutes minimum. Or as long as you leisure. Fool proof.
The temp slowly declines through those fermentable ranges. Then batch sparge with 75c water.
For 5% ABV I've had final gravity readings as low as 1.002. That's a low carb beer.

Danscraftbeer said:
Esky mash does get good efficiency. That's the way I started all grain.
Single infusion to get around 65c. Seal the lid shut. Leave it for 75minutes minimum. Or as long as you leisure. Fool proof.
The temp slowly declines through those fermentable ranges. Then batch sparge with 75c water.
For 5% ABV I've had final gravity readings as low as 1.002. That's a low carb beer.
Thats good attenuation was it a saison yeast or all dex

Thanks for the great replies guys, good to see I am doing something right.

Latest posts

Back