Hermit Coil Heat Exchange Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Parks said:
Is anyone putting coolant or other in theirs to increase the boiling point and/or keep the liquid "less nasty".

I'm thinking it would be good if I had a preservative of some sort in it so that I didn't have to empty it each time (and leave it mounted to my brew stand)

-- EDIT --

I just remembered the PVC pipe probably won't handle anything higher than 100 degrees so should be very careful.
You want to be able to unscrew the lid to pull your coil out to flush and hang it upside down to drain, and your going to get nasties growing inside your coil which will taste your beer.

Therefore just as easy to empty the water out of the pipe after use. Then refill on brew day. My lid is a bitch to screw on because I didnt make the holes in the right spot for the coil to pass through. It wants to cross thread all the time so I usually just screw it on 1/2 a turn and leave it at that.
if I made one again I would have the lid just slide on and off with one of those joining collars.

Like this

herms.jpg

Truman said:
You want to be able to unscrew the lid to pull your coil out to flush and hang it upside down to drain, and your going to get nasties growing inside your coil which will taste your beer.

Therefore just as easy to empty the water out of the pipe after use. Then refill on brew day. My lid is a bitch to screw on because I didnt make the holes in the right spot for the coil to pass through. It wants to cross thread all the time so I usually just screw it on 1/2 a turn and leave it at that.
if I made one again I would have the lid just slide on and off with one of those joining collars.

Like this

attachicon.gif
herms.jpg
I missed this post. I have done my first few brews having got things setup (sort of...) now.

My thoughts are that I may end up leaving PBW in the coil between uses - keep the coil, my pump, plate chiller and hoses all flooded. It's a PITA having everything sitting just the right way to dry.

Parks said:
I missed this post. I have done my first few brews having got things setup (sort of...) now.

My thoughts are that I may end up leaving PBW in the coil between uses - keep the coil, my pump, plate chiller and hoses all flooded. It's a PITA having everything sitting just the right way to dry.
I dont think you can keep PBW or other sod perc (alakaline based) cleaners in stainless steel for long term as it will eat into the stainless. Where as acid based substances such as starsan are okay, hence why people often leave starsan soaking in their kegs until next use.

Truman said:
Ahh ok then I wasnt 100% sure thanks for clearing that up.
To be honest I have just done a heap of searching and couldn't find much on extended soaking. I have and do regularly leave all sorts of things soaking for months in PBW and anecdotally confirm the OKedness.

Parks said:
To be honest I have just done a heap of searching and couldn't find much on extended soaking. I have and do regularly leave all sorts of things soaking for months in PBW and anecdotally confirm the OKedness.
That is good if all parts are the same grade of stainless but if one part is lower grade you will get electrolysis (galvanic reaction) damage from prolonged soaking.
Best to clean straight after use and store dry.
Nev

I wouldn't have thought there was much chance of that Nev but it's definitely a good point to think about.

Got most of my HERM-IT build done last night. 9 hour leak test revealed a leak. Will have to silicone the shit out of it tonight :)

I found a 1 gallon Coleman water cooler for $25. Fits perfect, but I would place the element 1-2cm lower next time. The Herm coil still clears it, just.

Element from a cordless Abode kettle.

Bent metal around the sides a bit so it didn't contact the plastic wall.

Can just plug a standard kettle cord into this, no need to muck about.

Insulation thickness between the inner and outer walls.

Will give it a whirl this weekend, provided the silicone does its job and seals up the leak.

You could have removed a lot of the extra black plastic on the element mount and the clear switch parts and this would have made it easier to fit.
herhx11.JPG
Nev

Gryphon Brewing said:
You could have removed a lot of the extra black plastic on the element mount and the clear switch parts and this would have made it easier to fit.
attachicon.gif
herhx11.JPG
Nev
True, but I am keen to see how the temp trigger goes. See if it works on the plastic. I assume it triggers after the wall gets to 100c, and from peoples reports the water in the HEX is not getting above 90c when mashing out.
I wanted to keep the switch too so I can flick it on/off when changing flow paths etc.

Got the HERM-IT running my mash now.

Had some problems with the brown pump clogging with grain - my mash tun is not round, and the base is not 100% flat, so bits of large grain flow through until it sets. I will just have to run off the wort until it is mostly clear then connect the pump next time/when I sparge. A pain, but will invest in a better pump eventually.

STC-1000 set to 69c, overshoots to 69.3, drops to 68.5 then kicks in the element. Again, will invest in something better, like the HERM-IT PID eventually.

Still, happy with it for now. I might even get less of a temp differential when I move to a round 38L cooler and plumb the wort return up so I can screw the lid on.

The Coleman 1gallon cooler is working awesomely. No leaks, and stable as can be, without the need for a base.

Happy brewer.

Khellendros13 said:
My coil has expanded to the point that its a tight fit inside the PVC pipe and I cant screw the lid on anymore. Anyone else had this happen?

I might make a new coil using the coolers in the links above as they are a larger diameter than the standard 100mm pvc.

My coil has expanded to the point that its a tight fit inside the PVC pipe and I cant screw the lid on anymore. Anyone else had this happen?

I might make a new coil using the coolers in the links above as they are a larger diameter than the standard 100mm pvc.

Interesting.

Anybody got any ideas for other users of Hermit coils to prevent this happening in the future? Maybe some way to wrap the coil In stainless wire?

Gryphon Brewing said:
Honestly I can see the coil expanding, I cant even get it to deform by force.
Nev
Yeh I agree with you Nev. But I used to be able to drop the coil into the pipe no problems and screw the lid on. Now I have to force it into the pipe and its near impossible to get the lid onto the thread and screw it onto the thread.

I would be more inclined to believe that the PVC pipe has deformed rather than the coil. Using the PVC pipe as a casing for a herms coil is not what PVC pipe was designed to do (although my herms is in PVC also, not bagging that out by any stretch). The repetitive heating/cooling on the PVC might cause it to shrink or deform?? I have no idea myself but at least the SS coil is designed to take the heat.

Just a thought.

Truman said:
Yeh I agree with you Nev. But I used to be able to drop the coil into the pipe no problems and screw the lid on. Now I have to force it into the pipe and its near impossible to get the lid onto the thread and screw it onto the thread.
Yes , mine does that too , I just sit it on now.
Nev

Back