Hermit Coil Heat Exchange Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Online Brewing Supplies

**** OBS ****
Reaction score
Here are the parts you will require to build a HERMIT Heat Exchange :
From left to right. HERMITHEX.JPG
9323714048139 DWV PVC connector female iron 40mm 56650
DWV PVC 100m tube (not thin storm water ) 225mm long. approx 3mm wall thickness.
9323714041116 DWV PVC coupling acc 46380
9323714041123 DWV PVC cap 46430
" ??????????????" DWV PVC End cap .
Some PVC glue and a tube of silicon a 40mm hole saw, 12mm drill bit.
A $9.00 electric jug from Kmart.
The rest I will put in a PDF over the weekend.energycell2.JPG
To repeat myself here are some instructions I sent to BBB.
Here a quick shopping list from bunnnigs Pvc cement+ tube of silicon
Fittings:
1 x 9323714041116 DWV PVC cap 100mm coupling ACC 46380
1 x 9323714041123 DWV PVC cap 100mm threaded access ACC 4630
1 x 225 mm long piece of 100m pvc pipe, thick stuff, not storm water crap, I found mine on a building site.
1 x 9323714048160 DWV PVC adaptor female iron 40mm 56690
1 x End cap for base to close of bottom bunnings didn't have this, but your store probably will.
1 x 40mm hole saw
1 x 12mm drill bit
1 x kettle from kmart.
The trick is to use some heat (heat gun and a piece of wood) to flatten the section of pipe where the element goes thru then drill your 40mm hole. File or sandpaper it flat as possible, if it leaks this is where it will be.
Centre of the 40 mm hole is 55mm from base of 100mm pipe,glue the end cap on first so the pipe doesn't distort when you heat the bugger.
Silcon inside around end cap and where the element goes thru and then later silcon on the 40mm adaptor when you are sure there is not leaks.
You will have to pull kettle apart and remove element, the black section where the cord plugs into needs to be hacked so it becomes round so you can fit the 40mm adaptor over it.
I will send ipics later.
YOU NEED A BIG BASE ON THIS SO IT DOESNT FALL OVER.
ALL ELECTRICAL WORK SHOULD BE DONE BY A QUALIFIED ELECTRICAL TRADES PERSON.
Nev

thats exactly how i built my HEX. But mine has a s/s element in it at the bottom.

Wallace - the kettle element is s/s and also in the bottom. Nev forgot to say there is an award for the best pimped HERM-IT rocket. I am leading at this stage ...
cheers
BBB

edit - nev beat me to it

Need a pic of the temp controler and where and how the temp probe mounts please :rolleyes:

Let the pre brew war sledge begin Triple B.
I will let you use the HERMS set up but I have the home ground advantage. Never underestimate the home ground advantage.

The kettle element assemblies generally have a couple of fine wires that go to the neon globe - beware of these as they have 240V on them like everything else. If you want to remove them (no snake eyes like Nev's), you can usually just pull them hard and the contacts inside the plastic will give way leaving a couple of small holes in the element socket - this is pretty safe.

If nothing else, I also would double check when all is finished that your earth on your plug has good continuity to the metal coil of the element. This is what will save you if you get water leaks in your rocket tube onto the IEC socket - the RCD will trip rather than electrifying your nice stainless coil and brewery.

Hey Nev and Co.
Im not the strongest DIYer, but I do follow instructions well. Hows that PDF coming along? Any ideas of a time you may be selling a complete "hermit" kit (coil, pump, control ect) to the public? Your easy to do and low price point is looking very tempting right now.

Cheers.

Hey Nev and Co.
Im not the strongest DIYer, but I do follow instructions well. Hows that PDF coming along? Any ideas of a time you may be selling a complete "hermit" kit (coil, pump, control ect) to the public? Your easy to do and low price point is looking very tempting right now.

Cheers.
PDF should be done by tomorrow, I am going to try and finish it tonight. Full kit is still a few weeks away, still waiting on a few fittings.
I am as keen to get the kit out as well.
Nev

Awesome stuff!

Definitely gonna try this one day soon.

Just a quick bit of imput. Too much description and pictures is not a bad thing. Visual indication is very helpful, so maybe some arrows and text on the picture? [ie, "silicone in here" or "cut here" ect] I'd like to see more details on the kettle section mainly, the tubing ect is fairly forward. It goes from 2.1 to 2.2 which confuses me how and what you did to get past that. Some more pictures of the kettle parts coming together would be nice.

Also is there some type of ring around the PVC hole in step 4 pic?

Thanks again.

Just a quick bit of imput. Too much description and pictures is not a bad thing. Visual indication is very helpful, so maybe some arrows and text on the picture? [ie, "silicone in here" or "cut here" ect] I'd like to see more details on the kettle section mainly, the tubing ect is fairly forward. It goes from 2.1 to 2.2 which confuses me how and what you did to get past that. Some more pictures of the kettle parts coming together would be nice.

Also is there some type of ring around the PVC hole in step 4 pic?

Thanks again.
Yep I agree, its a rough draft done very quickly. A lot has been lost too.Work with me on this.
The ring in step 4 is from the kettle, its the seal for the element.
Thanks for your feedback , its what I need. ;)
Nev

Latest posts

Back