Hermit Coil Heat Exchange Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gryphon Brewing said:
I am hearing you and 100% going to happen when I find all the required parts.
Nev
Awesome. I see a huge gap in the market for a turnkey HERMS system for those people who aren't so handy or don't want to make their own.

trevgale said:
I'm still using a jug with a home made copper coil. I have been thinking of upgrading to one of the Gryphon stainless coils for a while. One option I looked at for the housing is a stainless steel pasta container. They hold around 2L the 3 3/4" diameter might be a bit tight though.

Here is a link to one on ebay, I haven't seen any that look suitable in Australia though.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pasta-Jar-Stainless-Steel-Spaghetti-Holder-Food-storage-container-Eurodib-/261252028783?_trksid=p2054897.l4275
Problem being the glass lid, really need some thing I can easily put two holes in.
And as mentioned a tight squeeze.

pommiebloke said:
I'd be interested in a fabricated housing Nev. The only thing that's put me off getting your HERM-IT system is the need to make the housing and install an element.

A turnkey system with housing and element all made up would be the business.
Really.. these are a piece of piss to build.. You can do it in an hour.. If you were in Melbourne I could show you .. I have parts fora second build...

Grainer said:
Really.. these are a piece of piss to build.. You can do it in an hour.. If you were in Melbourne I could show you .. I have parts fora second build...
The thing I worry about is the element. I've looked for a kettle which I can dismantle but they all seem to be cordless ones these days. Not too confident with wiring.

Could you use a keg king element like the one here?

boiler-element.jpg

Ill Try do a pic diagram soon to show you how easy it is... Have to go out tonight...maybe even a video...

pommiebloke said:
The thing I worry about is the element. I've looked for a kettle which I can dismantle but they all seem to be cordless ones these days. Not too confident with wiring.

Could you use a keg king element like the one here?

boiler-element.jpg
Its not what I would be looking at on my HERM-IT HX builds but I think if it has a 1" BSP thread on the mount it could work with my planned HX structures.
1" BSP is pretty standard for an element mount in single phase.
Nev

Gryphon Brewing said:
Can you give me the length of the stick element so I can estimate the size of the HX tube ?
Nev
Hi Nev, my element is not 2.4kw as stated previously, it is infact a 2.2kw new model Keg King element. The element length is 30cm. Sorry for any confusion (on my part). Seeing as there have been issues with previous KK models I may just flip the element to the bottom of the heat exchanger as per your suggestion.....won't take too long.

GalBrew said:
Hi Nev, my element is not 2.4kw as stated previously, it is infact a 2.2kw new model Keg King element. The element length is 30cm. Sorry for any confusion (on my part). Seeing as there have been issues with previous KK models I may just flip the element to the bottom of the heat exchanger as per your suggestion.....won't take too long.
Thanks, that gives me some thing to work on, its going to be a balancing act to allow for 30cm and weighing up the extra few Kw's.
I think I will look at getting some 2.4Kw made to a working length of approx 20cm, they would be twin rod folded back over on itself like the image.
I really want to keep the Herm-it HX volume down to a minimum to gain maximum ramp power.
ELE36LG.jpg
Nev

Hey Guys,

I was just wondering if anyone has found a cheap kettle with a 2400w or 2500w element. I bought one from the reject shop which has the exact same element in it as the woollies one, (1850 - 2200w) and it was only $7. :D

The other thing I wanted to say is that I ended up using a 38mm hole saw and file it out a bit as I couldn't find any mates with a 40mm. The 38mm hole ended up being about 38.4 once clean up and the silicon washer fits perfectly. Anyway I hope this may help future HX builders.

Cheers,
Richard

I want to retire the old 2000w Aldi 8l Urn HX vessel now that I'm using a bigger pump for recirculating. I was getting just over 1 degree a minute at brown pump flow rates, but with the greater flow, I reckon the power is too little and the thermal mass too great for those sort of ramp times.

So, I have found a bit of 135mm stainless pipe with a conical end which should work smashingly well as a stable base, and I now need to find a nice, flat element to fit inside. I'm looking for a 2400w element that will fit vertically through the bottom of the HX vessel, and sit as low down as possible as I need (want) to have the outlet at the same height as the inlet on the mash tun due to OCD.

Has anyone found such an element? It's got to be no greater that 135mm in any dimension and as low as possible. I can get a bend your own element made and use that, but if i can avoid the hassle and expense, I'd rather just go for something off the shelf.

Cheers,

FB

Received my coil and compression fittings today off Nev, Cheers mate! Should be knocking up the HEX sometime this week, brew rig is slowly coming together!

pommiebloke said:
Awesome. I see a huge gap in the market for a turnkey HERMS system for those people who aren't so handy or don't want to make their own.
As promised I have sourced all the stainless parts to make a dedicated Stainless HERM-IT HX.
They will be 304 stainless , 4" tube with tri clover fittings (silicon seals, stainless clamps) top and bottom.
Bottom plate will have a 1" BSP tank socket to allow fitting an electrical element, the top plate will have two brass cable glands to allow easy fitting of the HERM-IT coil.
The main tube will be 300 mm high and have the option of mounting brackets for mounting to brew stand or wall.
No pics or price as yet as its all being finalised this week then they need to be built and shipped.
Hopeful to have them in the next three weeks.
Nev

Don't know if I have told you this before Nev...but your a top bloke and have twisted my arm to more than likely purchase this to finally complete my herms.

Yob said:
Sounds awesome Nev, don't forget to post the postage costs east ;)
We have estimated the HX will be in the 3kg range, if it doesnt go over then it will be under $15 to post.
keifer33 said:
Don't know if I have told you this before Nev...but your a top bloke and have twisted my arm to more than likely purchase this to finally complete my herms.
I am only ordering 10 units to start with so I may have to do a pre order run although I would like to have them landed and QC'd before selling preferably.
I have dibs on one ;)
Nev

I'd definitely be keen for one of these also. Pretty much exactly what I was hoping to have built myself, so if the price is right, I may as well pay you

Gryphon Brewing said:
They will be 304 stainless , 4" tube with tri clover fittings (silicon seals, stainless clamps) top and bottom.
Bottom plate will have a 1" BSP tank socket to allow fitting an electrical element, the top plate will have two brass cable glands to allow easy fitting of the HERM-IT coil.
The main tube will be 300 mm high and have the option of mounting brackets for mounting to brew stand or wall.
That's awesome news Nev. Did you manage to make the coils even smaller to fit standard 4" tube?

(I'm wondering if my current HERM-IT coil will fit your new setup or if I would need to buy a newer coil.)

Parks said:
That's awesome news Nev. Did you manage to make the coils even smaller to fit standard 4" tube?

(I'm wondering if my current HERM-IT coil will fit your new setup or if I would need to buy a newer coil.)
The new coils (90mm) will fit, the older ones I will have to try.
I am prepared to offer you a discount on a new coil if necessary being you are an existing HERM-IT customer.
Nev

Latest posts

Back