Hermit Coil Heat Exchange Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GalBrew said:
I would be more inclined to believe that the PVC pipe has deformed rather than the coil. Using the PVC pipe as a casing for a herms coil is not what PVC pipe was designed to do (although my herms is in PVC also, not bagging that out by any stretch). The repetitive heating/cooling on the PVC might cause it to shrink or deform?? I have no idea myself but at least the SS coil is designed to take the heat.

Just a thought.
I must admit there has been more than a few instances where ive stopped the pump but forgot to turn off the pid control and the waters boiled inside the hex. So at those high temps it probably has distorted the PVC. Although it looks fine by eye.

Truman said:
I must admit there has been more than a few instances where ive stopped the pump but forgot to turn off the pid control and the waters boiled inside the hex. So at those high temps it probably has distorted the PVC. Although it looks fine by eye.
My first attempt certainly did turn the tube into something more oval shaped doing exactly this.

I am surprised how well these work. I build mine after visiting Nev and he tole me about the build. Since building it I ve only put on 2 brews but its flawless. I love it. :)

macca05 said:
I am surprised how well these work. I build mine after visiting Nev and he tole me about the build. Since building it I ve only put on 2 brews but its flawless. I love it. :)
Mine has done over 20 brews now and still works well. the cap wont screw in anymore but it doesnt stop it from working any less.

I am currently looking for ideas on a new housing for the HX build.
I have been looking at asparagus cookers but they are a bit short at 8-1/2" as i want to upgrade the element to a 3kw (9-1/2") that enters through the bottom.
Any ready made ideas out there ?
Failing that there is the option to have them fabricated from sanitary fittings etc but this would be expensive.
Nev

I've entertained the idea of using a stainless toilet brush holder/canister. The lid is pre drilled once you've taken the brush out and just rests in place but it may be worth looking out for one.

All the ss dunny brush holders I've seen are pretty thin and poor quality stainless. They are also only folded at the seam and not water tight. If you find a good one could you send me the brush as I'm in need of a new head. Don't ask.

Gryphon Brewing said:
I have been looking at asparagus cookers but they are a bit short at 8-1/2" as i want to upgrade the element to a 3kw (9-1/2") that enters through the bottom.
Failing that there is the option to have them fabricated from sanitary fittings etc but this would be expensive.
Nev
I used an asparagus cooker for my HX, but made my own coil. $7 kettle element fitted through the base. I then used a100mm to 80mm rubber coupling for PVC pipe and a blanking cap for the base. It slipped nicely around the pot. This is the only pic I have on me, but it should give you the idea. I'll see if I can remember to take a pic when I get home.

1390450028340.jpg

FWIW, it's an expensive way to go (cost me about $80 for the pot alone), but it's effective enough. It's on my hit list for an upgrade though, except next time I'll be getting a stainless canister custom made (brother is a Boilermaker)

A lot of then even have plastic bases .
I will go ahead and see what the price is like on the sanitary fittings , cooperville's unit on you tube is a cracker but around $250 its prohibitive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dAjFFeMidY

Gryphon Brewing said:
A lot of then even have plastic bases .
I will go ahead and see what the price is like on the sanitary fittings , cooperville's unit on you tube is a cracker but around $250 its prohibitive
I actually looked into getting something done with 4" triclovers and tube but unfortunately the HERM-IT coil it slightly too big in diameter. 100mm pipe is fine as it's rated to 100mm inner diameter whereas 100mm tube is outside diameter.

Parks said:
I actually looked into getting something done with 4" triclovers and tube but unfortunately the HERM-IT coil it slightly too big in diameter. 100mm pipe is fine as it's rated to 100mm inner diameter whereas 100mm tube is outside diameter.
The new coils are less about 90-95mm just for that reason so it may still work.

I have to admit it, after not being all that keen on the PVC pipe thingy, it has grown on me. Here is my setup with heatstick element shoved in the middle of the coil.
gallery_18048_1034_2024148.jpg

I was worried that if mounted from the top and there wasnt enough water to cover the element there would be a hot spot and this would stuff it .
How long have you had it this way, any problems ?
I assume its a 2.4Kw which is better than the 2kw max kettle element.
Nev

2.4kw is perfect ..mind you my element is mounted at the bottom for the reason Nev said.. ramp times are great... If i were you I'd consider changing to the bottom of the unit and you can also cut your PVC down to limit the amount of water in the HERM-IT to get better ramp times..

Yeah, 2.4kw. I fill the bottom part with water to the top and then lower the whole coil/element part in and screw the lid on which pushes some of the water out, so I can only assume the element is covered in water. Haven't had any issues yet, but I will keep an eye on things.

Gryphon Brewing said:
Nev
I'd be interested in a fabricated housing Nev. The only thing that's put me off getting your HERM-IT system is the need to make the housing and install an element.

A turnkey system with housing and element all made up would be the business.

pommiebloke said:
I'd be interested in a fabricated housing Nev. The only thing that's put me off getting your HERM-IT system is the need to make the housing and install an element.

A turnkey system with housing and element all made up would be the business.
I am hearing you and 100% going to happen when I find all the required parts.
Nev

GalBrew said:
Yeah, 2.4kw. I fill the bottom part with water to the top and then lower the whole coil/element part in and screw the lid on which pushes some of the water out, so I can only assume the element is covered in water. Haven't had any issues yet, but I will keep an eye on things.
Can you give me the length of the stick element so I can estimate the size of the HX tube ?
Nev

I'm still using a jug with a home made copper coil. I have been thinking of upgrading to one of the Gryphon stainless coils for a while. One option I looked at for the housing is a stainless steel pasta container. They hold around 2L the 3 3/4" diameter might be a bit tight though.

Here is a link to one on ebay, I haven't seen any that look suitable in Australia though.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pasta-Jar-Stainless-Steel-Spaghetti-Holder-Food-storage-container-Eurodib-/261252028783?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Latest posts

Back