Hermit Coil Heat Exchange Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a great idea. It would allow you to drain your lines pretty easily after cleanup too I'd imagine.

What methods are hermit builders using to secure the coil to the lid and improve stability. I'm using a cheap, thin saucepan lid and the coil swings about a bit. I was thinking of a couple of ss washers and a hose clamp to each pipe to make it more rigid. Anyone else done something similar or prefer to let 'em hang on their own weight.

Camo6 said:
That's a great idea. It would allow you to drain your lines pretty easily after cleanup too I'd imagine.

What methods are hermit builders using to secure the coil to the lid and improve stability. I'm using a cheap, thin saucepan lid and the coil swings about a bit. I was thinking of a couple of ss washers and a hose clamp to each pipe to make it more rigid. Anyone else done something similar or prefer to let 'em hang on their own weight.
Mine is that tight no room to swing, also quite tight in the hole.
I am going to find a nice metal tube an up the watts , yeah babe B)
Nev

Camo6 said:

Yep, the pump outlet valve works a treat. I'll take a photo of my pump when I get home tonight.

As Nev said, my coil is also very tight! I would imagine some SS washers and hose clamps (or even just hose clamps) will work fine.

Here she is for all those interested.

March pump with a T piece on the inlet, camlock on one side and a hex nipple and ball valve on the other. Valve and camlock on the outlet.

The outlet valve is opened briefly if the pump doesnt prime, just splash a little into a bucket to get the air out of the system. Works a treat!

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:7008]

Looks the goods Philski. How do you stop your dog chewing the plastic off the tap handles?!

Camo6 said:
I used these nickel plated cable glands on my herms to secure my coil to the lid. I will one day upgrade to the hermit coil but am only using 1/2" copper for now.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=HP0748

Holds the coil nicely and is shiny!

Camo6 said:
Looks the goods Philski. How do you stop your dog chewing the plastic off the tap handles?!
hahaha she does love to chew stuff. Luckily I keep them packed away inside one the the SS pots. She'd have trouble gnawing through that!!

Gryphon Brewing said:
Can you remember the size ?Nev
I'm pretty sure I got the 10-14mm size as my copper coil is 12mm

Gryphon Brewing said:
I was thinking the same, I am going to find a supplier for these and get some in.
Nev
Well I'll buy a couple if you do

Just got back from Jaycar - I got the 6-12mm ones as that was the biggest on the shelf.
Still works firm fit, just needed the top nut widened slightly to allow the coil to fit through. Thanks for the suggestion works so well!!

Just gave the Hex and hermit coil it's first water test. Wow who would have thought watching water to from 24 to 76 would be so much fun! I just need a way to slow the flow a little.
Very happy with the coil performance ramped 1-1.5c per min using the little brown pump and minimal piping.

If you don't have one and are going down the HERMS path get one!!!

Tex083 said:
Just gave the Hex and hermit coil it's first water test. Wow who would have thought watching water to from 24 to 76 would be so much fun! I just need a way to slow the flow a little.
Very happy with the coil performance ramped 1-1.5c per min using the little brown pump and minimal piping.

If you don't have one and are going down the HERMS path get one!!!
It will slow when the grain goes in, if it requires more slowing a ball valve on the out let is your first choice.
Nev

Brew day was a great success, I didnt have a chance to run the PID in auto tune mode first. The PID held temp 2Degrees above the set temp.
Mashed in well, HERMIT coil worked so well, maintained temp for the 60min mash, ramped to mash out.
Another very happy customer!
thanks
Nev

Tex083 said:
Brew day was a great success, I didnt have a chance to run the PID in auto tune mode first. The PID held temp 2Degrees above the set temp.
Mashed in well, HERMIT coil worked so well, maintained temp for the 60min mash, ramped to mash out.
Another very happy customer!
thanks
Nev
Great to hear
Nev

Here is our new HERM-IT HX COIL GLANDS
These CHROME PLATED BRASS cable glands suit our 12mm coil and allows easy installation of coil into your heat exchange.
Its also a Bling Thing :)
Order a coil or coil kit up to Monday 8th April 2013 and get a set FREE.
* Requires 22mm hole for fitting to lid.
coilglandlg.JPG

Back