Hermit Coil Heat Exchange Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are you using to insulate your lines kev (or anyone else for that matter)?

I'm looking at getting some insulation for the HERMS lines in the brewery and curious as to what are some options?

IMO you really don't need it if you are using HD silicone hose and short lines.

I've seen plenty of people who use the black foam, kinda like a pool noodle with a cut down the side.

Yea my lines wouldn't be too long and am using HD silicone hose but was always curious as to what material was being used since I've seen it in a few brewery photos.

I might just give it a go without and can always add it on later if need be.

I think the key thing is anything that feels *hot* is most likely losing your most efficiency. The silicone tube doesn't get that hot, but your stainless fittings all do.

If I were using stainless or copper tube or thin silicone (or long lengths) then I might consider insultation.

If I grab a silicone hose it feels hot, so to me that's a potential to loose heat. On my longer lines I have a towel that I cut longways and sewed it into long tubes. On the shorter lines I have a heavy white stretchy material that once I again, I sewed into long tubes. With the towel over it, when you grab the line it is quite cool so I assume it does a great job. The white material is neater but is warmer to the touch. I looked at the plumbers insulation but didn't like the look of it; although it would probably make the best insulator.

This pic is a while back before I repainted the brew stand, pre- camlocks and prior to the pots being insulated, but shows the towel.
04032012924.jpg

Just had my first proper play with it today, had a brew the other week using an esky/stainless braid/soup ladle with limited success so put together a copper manifold and wort return line for my esky and wow, works perfect. Heated up 14L of 53 degree water to 68 in 16 minutes. Cleared the wort very nicely. I tested it with my new youbeaut energy meter and it cost me under a dollar to run for the full hour (Second thoughts, that $1> includes the power for the pump and temp controller). Moral of story it works beautifully, priced very nicely and the build PDF made the whole job very easy. Good on ya Nev!

Does anyone know where to get a hot water kettle that isn't cordless these days?oris it easy to use a cordless one?

You can use a Kmart cordless ($8.00) then you just need an IEC power cable ( 3 pin computer type).
Nev

Thats all I used. Cordless kettles are better for these herms coils IMHO. Makes them neater to pack away without havin a cord to wory about.

Only thing is mine had a small white button on the inside of the black plastic round plate where the plug pushes into. Make sure this pushes in when you screw it into the element. If your PVC pipe wasnt flattened properly where you drill the hole for the element it can cause this button to not push in properly and your element wont work.

What's the thoughts on using one of these 5 Ltr urns as opposed to building a HX?
5ltr Birko Urn

I know it would cost more but I would be happy with a plug and play option plus it is stainless :D
Would the 5 Ltr capacity make much difference compared to the 2 Ltr?
Cameron

What's the thoughts on using one of these 5 Ltr urns as opposed to building a HX?
5ltr Birko Urn

I know it would cost more but I would be happy with a plug and play option plus it is stainless :D
Would the 5 Ltr capacity make much difference compared to the 2 Ltr?
Cameron

If money is no issue it would work fine.

A lot of blokes enjoy the diy on the cheap aspect of brewing i suspect

The only issue I see with the urn, is the bigger thermal mass of the water. It just means it takes a bit longer to respond, so when it turns of the heating element you are more likely to get more overshoot. A decent pid would probably work it all out for you. Also the bigger urn just means a bigger size vessel taking up space on the brew stand.

Also I have not checked if the size is suitable, but I think it looks good. The Woolworths up here had asparagus cookers, basically like a tall s/s pot with a basket. They are 210 tall and 135 wide. They were a decent quality build using good stainless and fairly heavy. They were just $15.

291220121525.jpg

If I was building one I would seriously look at these, but I don't really want to redo mine.

The only issue I see with the urn, is the bigger thermal mass of the water. It just means it takes a bit longer to respond, so when it turns of the heating element you are more likely to get more overshoot. A decent pid would probably work it all out for you. Also the bigger urn just means a bigger size vessel taking up space on the brew stand.

Also I have not checked if the size is suitable, but the Woolworths up here had asparagus cookers, basically like a tall s/s pot with a basket. They are 210 tall and 135 wide. They were a decent quality build using good stainless and fairly heavy. They were just $15.

View attachment 59777

If I was building one I would seriously look at these, but I don't really want to redo mine.

How fine was the basket kev? Looks like it'd make a really nice hop back.

How fine was the basket kev? Looks like it'd make a really nice hop back.

No where fine enough for a hop back, but I guess it could be lined with a bag made from swiss voile. Then you would just need to work out how to seal the lid closed.

edit: Just noticed there's a pic of the basket design on the box.

QldKev

Also I have not checked if the size is suitable, but I think it looks good. The Woolworths up here had asparagus cookers, basically like a tall s/s pot with a basket. They are 210 tall and 135 wide. They were a decent quality build using good stainless and fairly heavy. They were just $15.

View attachment 59777

Nice find Kev, may even look at that for my ghetto coil set-up.

Could the thermal mass work to your advantage as well? I.e. more water at given temp = more consistent heat exchange once heated up?

Or am I way off. Due to an ongoing build I ramp my HERMS coil using a 20 litre HLT. It is short term but allows me to HERMS for now and I find it quite functional.

Just measured my ghetto coil, 220 tall and 140 wide....talk about custom made!
Thanks Kev...now to see if Woolies in Vicco stock this pot.

View attachment 59777

I've been looking everywhere for one of those Kev, I want to make a hopback out of it. Next time your there can you grab one for me?

Batz

I've been looking everywhere for one of those Kev, I want to make a hopback out of it. Next time your there can you grab one for me?

Batz

I should be heading out that way today (it at Bargara), one has your name on it.

QldKev

Those look the ducks nuts.

I have never seen anything like that around any of my local woolies...

Latest posts

Back