Dedicated Grainfather Guide, Problems and Solutions Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use an 8kg to 9kg grain bill, mash with 24l water and sparge with 14l into the grainfather. Then I lift the mash basket out and put it on top of a pot and sparge with another 12l and boil the pot on my stove.

I end up with 36l wort OG 1.065 which I ferment in 2 corny kegs

Cheers
Stefan

I use an 8kg to 9kg grain bill, mash with 24l water and sparge with 14l into the grainfather. Then I lift the mash basket out and put it on top of a pot and sparge with another 12l and boil the pot on my stove.

I end up with 36l wort OG 1.065 which I ferment in 2 corny kegs

Cheers
Stefan

Nice method. Do you find you have to compromise on efficiency given the large grain bill?

yes you are losing a bit on efficiency to compensate this I mash around 120 minutes.. and stir my mash from time to time

Has anyone found a source for npt to bpi or ⅜" ACME to bpi adaptors to allow ½" cam locks to fit between side tap and sparge arm? I cannot find anything on previous posts.

Hey guys, someone can post a photo of the reset switch electrical installation? I need to replace this but forgot to take a shot before unmount lol

Problem solved! I'll leave the part code and service manual for those who have the same problem.
Part code: KSD301-PR 125c

Attachments

• Snap_Disc_Thermostat_(Reset_Switch)_SOP_v1.pdf
    519 KB · Views: 857
I have just bought a second hand Grainfather and any help is greatly appreciated, reading the whole thread over a few nights didn't answer my questions, doesn't mean the answers aren't there though!

1. Does anyone know what the thread is on top of the original discharge pipe before the upgrade to include the ball and safety valves?
2. The barbs on my chiller connection which which screws onto the discharge pipe is a bit cruddy, if it cannot be recovered does anyone know if the new connections currently on sale have the same thread?
3. Are the Chiller and Recirculation arm o-rings commonly available or do I need to buy them from Grainfather?
4. Will the ball valve screw onto my "original" discharge pipe, I am not worried about the safety valve and will keep using the brass cap if the ball valve fits.

Thank you for any replies.

Paul

As an absolute novice I'm hoping theres a simple solution to my problem. I recently received a brand new grainfather connect and have set it up as per the instructions, filled it up to sterilize it and the pump wont work, the heating element works but not the pump, no sound at all coming from the pump so I'm assuming it's not getting power as its brand new and surely not faulty. Anyone got any ideas?

As an absolute novice I'm hoping theres a simple solution to my problem. I recently received a brand new grainfather connect and have set it up as per the instructions, filled it up to sterilize it and the pump wont work, the heating element works but not the pump, no sound at all coming from the pump so I'm assuming it's not getting power as its brand new and surely not faulty. Anyone got any ideas?

Sometimes the pump will get an airlock, with cool water in the grainfather try connecting the chiller up, opening the ball valve and turn the pump on and suck on the chiller outlet hose. If it’s still not pumping take it back to where you purchased it from for a replacement.

Hey mate. To prove if the pump is faulty or not swap the plug to the other side of the controller and set the heat on and see if the pump goes then.

Here are the modifications I have made to my Grainfather. All parts came from the Robobrew V3

Attachments

• E5112F75-7FD4-4BE7-84B8-384E4D41BC5B.jpeg
    E5112F75-7FD4-4BE7-84B8-384E4D41BC5B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 601
  • 0D292B5D-B76E-4D65-87C2-F7DD97DA159E.jpeg
    0D292B5D-B76E-4D65-87C2-F7DD97DA159E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 542
  • 2D0E2CEC-CB53-44D8-92DE-D9B0240B41CB.jpeg
    2D0E2CEC-CB53-44D8-92DE-D9B0240B41CB.jpeg
    450.8 KB · Views: 497
  • CF152A98-4717-4509-A046-C6C2917E3E6B.jpeg
    CF152A98-4717-4509-A046-C6C2917E3E6B.jpeg
    387.8 KB · Views: 475
Here are the modifications I have made to my Grainfather. All parts came from the Robobrew V3

Kenf I tried the lauter helix on my grainfather running off the pump pickup and it was a dismal failure, it worked well during mashing but as soon as a whirlfloc was added it blocked when trying to transfer through the chiller to fermenter.

Thx for that! I actually fitted a Robobrew valve, but I have heard the other type Lauter helix can block up and I’m a bit concerned about how close the coils actually are. So I am going to do a trial.
I tried a bazooka last week so worst case scenario I can revert back to that or the Robobrew false bottom ;)
Cheers mate!

I had been using the BS app and put in my own numbers for my GF profile.

I haven't brewed in a long time, but noticed today that BS 3 has a grainfather profile. Has anyone used this ? Thoughts?

hey mate, did you sort this out?

I had Beersmith 2 on my Apple desktop which was dialled in to match the grainfather app mash and sparge calculators. I'm currently living overseas but getting ready to move home and start brewing again, so I downloaded the beersmith iOS app. The grainfather profile that comes on it is rubbish, but I've managed to again fix it to mimic the actual calculators GF provide (which I've always found to be spot on).

Let me know if you need help with it. I used to brew 27L batches on the GF no dramas.

I couldn't find an exact answer when searching - has anyone replaced the silicone hose on their wort chiller? I'd be interested to know what ID the hose has.

Also, has anyone used the GF pump to fill a conical fermenter through the bottom dump port? Is it strong enough to do so, or will it back flow once the liquid level in the fermenter gets higher?

EDIT: Should clarify that I'm asking about the hose diameter as I am currently living away from my GF and cannot measure myself. My research suggests the ID is probably about 0.95cm.

According to Grainfather, this https://www.grainfather.com/shop/spare-parts/counter-flow-wort-chiller-hosing.html is 8mm ID. I got one to atttach my wortometer, does the job. Probably pricier there than many willing to pay though.

I couldn't find an exact answer when searching - has anyone replaced the silicone hose on their wort chiller? I'd be interested to know what ID the hose has.

Also, has anyone used the GF pump to fill a conical fermenter through the bottom dump port? Is it strong enough to do so, or will it back flow once the liquid level in the fermenter gets higher?

EDIT: Should clarify that I'm asking about the hose diameter as I am currently living away from my GF and cannot measure myself. My research suggests the ID is probably about 0.95cm.

I'm after a few spare parts for the grainfather - just in case :)

does anyone has aliexpress links for:

a false bottom which fits the grainfather

silicon seals and for the perforated filters

grainfather pump

Pump Silocone Tubes (2)

Recirculation and counterflow wort chiller silicone hose

Thanks

Cheers and happy brewing

Stefan

Hi I'm hoping someone may be able to help me. So today I was going to clean my new out of the box Grainfather connect.. I put 15 litres of water in it and was going to run some GF cleaner through the system.. turned the pump on and it made a horrible noise and would not pump...

After taking apart the recirc pipe and all it is pumping without the noise but the flow is just a trickle.. do I have a defective pump ? I really didn't expect this I went and got everything I need for a brew tomorrow.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Back