GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked at the smartPID but found that the smart pid was about 3 times as the GF control (which also integrates with brewfather)

Hip Hop's Don't Stop.
Well, the heat is in the bottom of the mash tun and you are trying to control the temperature in the mash, by the time the trickle reaches the mash it is cooler. So keeping the flow going full bore the temperature remains constant. If you are using the overflow pipe get rid of it. I have the grain basket top and bottom plate fixed in the bottom.

Same deal with SmartPID and Brewfather integration. Cloud based recipes and remote device control is very popular for that reason.

I'm at my desk job and able to raise/lower fermentation temp and monitor gravity without leaving the chair. Because science :cheers:
You are monitoring the temperature at the bottom of the mash tun, not in the mash. Depending on the liquor-to-grain ratio there can be several fluctuations within the grain bed.
All well and good if you have your recipes on hand, I find no need for that myself.
Brewing beer is bucket chemistry.
Here is some more Bucket Chemistry. Loss to grain is about 0,460 ml per kilo. I wouldn't advise anyone who sparges to try this.
20 kilo of water and a full gas bottle, plus a good portion of my body weight.
IMG_0692.JPG

Hip Hop's Don't Stop.
Well, the heat is in the bottom of the mash tun and you are trying to control the temperature in the mash, by the time the trickle reaches the mash it is cooler. So keeping the flow going full bore the temperature remains constant. If you are using the overflow pipe get rid of it. I have the grain basket top and bottom plate fixed in the bottom.

You are monitoring the temperature at the bottom of the mash tun, not in the mash. Depending on the liquor-to-grain ratio there can be several fluctuations within the grain bed.
All well and good if you have your recipes on hand, I find no need for that myself.

Here is some more Bucket Chemistry. Loss to grain is about 0,460 ml per kilo. I wouldn't advise anyone who sparges to try this.
20 kilo of water and a full gas bottle, plus a good portion of my body weight.
View attachment 124275
The GF a control has its own temp sensor so I made a thermowell and a bracket which holds the temp probe about 1/3 rd up the liquid level next to the overflow tube where I figure I get a more accurate temp than the Guten temp probe which is next to the heating elements on the base

The GF a control has its own temp sensor so I made a thermowell and a bracket which holds the temp probe about 1/3 rd up the liquid level next to the overflow tube where I figure I get a more accurate temp than the Guten temp probe which is next to the heating elements on the base
Exactly! The probe in the SVB'S can only be placed on the base of the mash tun. At least one or two probes need to be in the mash itself. Monitoring the two or in my case three probes will give me a better indication of what is happening in the actual mash, the most important temperature which we need to keep an eye on. Looking at the variations between the three I think the Guten does a very worthy job of of keeping a constant temperature within the parameters.
In saying this I do a full-volume mash, a recirculating wort can afford to go up to a greater liquor-to-grain ratio than what some of the existing programs suggest.

Hip Hop's Don't Stop.
Re: Trickle - OK, that makes sense.

If I take off the overflow pipe, won't there be a hole where the pipe once was?

Latest posts

Back