Dedicated Grainfather Guide, Problems and Solutions Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So my GF is over 2 yrs old now and are having problems with the filter cap coming off during whirlpool. it seems tight enough fit on the filter body. I should mention I whirlpool clockwise. (and no I'm not hitting the filter with the paddle). maybe if I whirlpool anticlockwise. So, time for a replacement ? anyone else having this issue? remedies- stainless cable tie?
Is it the old model filter cap? Like a single piece
Or newer model which had the rubber end cap and is longer horizontal?

I have both models g/fathers but haven't gotten around to buying the new filter part for my old original model, but I should as the new one is better.

Reminds me, I will get it . Every time we run both fathers I spew I haven't bought the new filter part for the old unit. Ha ha

So my GF is over 2 yrs old now and are having problems with the filter cap coming off during whirlpool. it seems tight enough fit on the filter body. I should mention I whirlpool clockwise. (and no I'm not hitting the filter with the paddle). maybe if I whirlpool anticlockwise. So, time for a replacement ? anyone else having this issue? remedies- stainless cable tie?
Brad. If you have the newer T shape filter you can fit it with a stainless hose clamp. I put mine on with the silicone endcap firmlly aganst the thermowell. That prevents the cap being dislodged also.
Cheers.

The quickest way is to brew a high gravity wort, remember to correct for the change in hop utilisation, then dilute it with water at the fermentation stage. It's good practice to keep the S04/Cl ratio appropriate to the style in the water used for dilution.

Or

The best way is to brew more often so you can have more variety in your brews.

ATB. aamcle

Anyone know how to bring the shine back to the sides of the boiler? I've tried boiling citric acid and also tried bar keepers friend. The bottom and the element are shiny, just the sides are like a matte finish. Cheers

Anyone know how to bring the shine back to the sides of the boiler? I've tried boiling citric acid and also tried bar keepers friend. The bottom and the element are shiny, just the sides are like a matte finish. Cheers
Hot concentrated sodium percabonate solution and a nylon scourer has worked well for me, got the inside walls shiny again.

Don't know about getting it shiny but I get the brown beerstone/staining off by filling to the brim with a fair wack of napisan and boiling for a while and then soaking overnight. Comes up very clean.

So it’s fair to say. The interior of the boiler was never shiny or polished like the bottom or outside?

I bought the grainfather connect this week to get back into brewing. I can't wait to try it tommorow!

Hi,

I got a question about sparging.

I try to archive a high gravity wort which I can water down in the fermenter. To get 2 x corny kegs per brew.

The max grain bill I can do is 8.5kg but my mash efficiency is only around 65% to archive a higher efficiency I need more sparge water.

Can i use the grainfather pump to circulate 80-degree hot wort instead of hot sparge water?

Thanks

Cheers
Stefan

Hi,

I got a question about sparging.

I try to archive a high gravity wort which I can water down in the fermenter. To get 2 x corny kegs per brew.

The max grain bill I can do is 8.5kg but my mash efficiency is only around 65% to archive a higher efficiency I need more sparge water.

Can i use the grainfather pump to circulate 80-degree hot wort instead of hot sparge water?

Thanks

Cheers
Stefan

If it’s the temp you are worried about then yes, to sterilise the wort chiller they say to pump the wort through it with the pump immediately the boil is finished which would be just under 100 deg so 80 shouldn’t be an issue.

if I only use the pump without the chiller?

I like to recirculate the wort over the same mash

Thanks
Cheers Stefan

Last edited:
Hey guys, I don't have a mill so does anyone know a good online brew supply shop that has a good crush for the grainfather. Preferably QLD (for quick delivery)

Latest posts

Back