Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Dedicated Grainfather Guide, Problems and Solutions Thread

Discussion in 'Gear and Equipment' started by HBHB, 16/12/14.

1. TK1

Posted 6/11/19
    Hi all,

I'm getting back into brewing after a house move and a few year's hiatus. Lots of posts to catch up on and things to re-learn.

Anyway, I'm on tank water now, so looking to be water-wise about how I brew (although nice pure water to start things off with!). The biggest waste I had was running water through the CF chiller. Even if I collect it, I need to cool it and pump it back into the tanks which isn't ideal. And rather not use dam water in case there's a leak/cross-contamination. So I wondered if the glycol chiller could be hooked up to run coolant through the CF chiller?

May be impossible or a bad idea - I don't have the glycol set up or new fermenter yet, but may head down that path one day. This would give me a reason to invest in one, and save water. Or is the way to go to set up a recirculated cooling system, maybe pumped into an esky/barrel full of ice blocks or something??

Couldn't find anything in this thread on it, so thought I'd ask.

Thanks,
    Darren

2. MyrtleMountainBrewing

Posted 6/11/19
    Hi Darren,
    I had the same problem with running the CF chiller on tank water. An additional issue I had was that is summer the water would come out of the tap quite hot (> 30 degrees C) so the cooling was not very effective.

My solution was to buy a submersible pump off ebay
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SUBMERS...D-SWIMMING-POOL-UPTO-8M-217L-MIN/254364004753
    (I chose the largest pump option 217l/min) and I run this in a barrel of water to which I add blocks of ice to offset the heat from the CFC. I am glad I went with the largest pump option because the CFC does require a decent head of pressure to move water through it at an acceptable flow rate.
    This setup works quite well and at the end of the brew day I have a barrel of warm water to help with the cleanup. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Max

3. hezzer

Posted 7/11/19
    Hello Darren
    When I was using tank water for a chiller coil, the out flow went straight back into the house downpipe collector box. Maybe I'm missing something but it was dead simple and I wish I had it now (on town water). I have a GF glycol chiller with two of their conical fermenters and I think it would be tricky to rig up the glycol chiller to work with an immersion coil. The electrics are set up so that the demand to open the chiller flow comes from the controller box on the fermenters. The good news is that the wort can go into the fermenter in the mid 30s and then the chiller will reduce the temp down to pitching fairly quickly (35 to 18 about an hour). This allows the town water to work the immersion chiller all year. FYI I don't have a GF chiller coil, just a home made copper one which goes into the BM.
    cheers H

4. TK1

Posted 7/11/19
    Thanks Max and Hezzer, maybe I was over-thinking it. I figured if the glycol unit could be hooked up to the CF chiller it would have been done before. Still considering one to control a fermenter down the track, so good to know how it works.

Appreciate the link Max, a drum with ice and immersion pump may be the way to go. I was concerned if I pumped it back into the water tank at too high a temp then it might promote growth or something (although it gets warm on a hot day). I guess if left to cool I could then use the pump to drain it into the tank as Hezzar did. Alternatively, using a drum of iced water means I could re-use that elsewhere or perhaps run it for a few brews before changing.

Now I just need to build some benches and set everything up again...

Cheers,
    Darren

5. raturay

Posted 8/1/20
    I'm looking to update my original Grainfather controller to the current bluetooth model. Do you think I can safely assume that it will fit and work okay on my March 2016 Grainfather.

I've tried the help function on Grainfather's web site to no avail so far.

Cheers
    Ray

6. Chridech

Posted 8/1/20
    It will fit. The Bluetooth controller sits on top of the bracket/handle instead of inside it. The Bluetooth controller is shipped with the screws used to hang it from the GF in the wrong position (at least they were for mine). You will need to move the screws into the alternate holes so the new controller sits in the correct position on top the bracket. Mash/boil switch set to boil always.

razz likes this.
  7. raturay

Posted 9/1/20
    Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted