Coopers selling full kit & bits recipe packs with free postage.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why is there white sugar in the picture?? F*** at least use dex or that crappy brewing sugar.

Even a packet of Brew Enhancer 1 would be better.

If buying this pack I suggest using the white sugar on your weet bix.

RobboMC said:
Why is there white sugar in the picture?? F*** at least use dex or that crappy brewing sugar.

Even a packet of Brew Enhancer 1 would be better.

If buying this pack I suggest using the white sugar on your weet bix.
I thought the same thing. You think they would want you to use their own brand stuff...

I'm liking these ROTMs did the hop slam the other weekend

brzt6060 said:
I thought the same thing. You think they would want you to use their own brand stuff...
Looking at the recipe it asks for 250g white sugar (http://coopers.com.au/#/diy-beer/beer-recipes/stout/detail/robo-choc/)

I guess because Coopers only sell brew enhancer and brewing sugar in 1kg lots, and it being in the THB for them to make smaller packs. Also if they included 1kg someone would end up chucking the whole 1kg in.

I have dex at home so the sugar will go in my morning coffees.

crowmanz said:
I'm liking these ROTMs did the hop slam the other weekend

Looking at the recipe it asks for 250g white sugar (http://coopers.com.au/#/diy-beer/beer-recipes/stout/detail/robo-choc/)

I guess because Coopers only sell brew enhancer and brewing sugar in 1kg lots, and it being in the THB for them to make smaller packs. Also if they included 1kg someone would end up chucking the whole 1kg in.

I have dex at home so the sugar will go in my morning coffees.
A whole kg of brew enhancer would do nothing but enhance the brew. :)

They package the dme in 1/2 kg packs, also I've seen them package dex in 250g packs so they could have at least used that.
Someone has taken a big short cut.

Still a nice recipe pack though at a good price with free shipping; and motivation for new brewers to try their hand at a bit of grain steeping and hop boiling.

The Old Brown Dog looked so good I was forced to buy 2 packs of it. :beerbang: :beerbang:

Yeah the white sugar does seem a bit out of place, replace it with dex or brew enhancer if you have it or in a pinch, even brown sugar. At least brown sugar will add a little caramel character to your beer where-as table sugar won't add anything but dry alcohol. That's a nice grain combo though, it just seems a shame there's no fresh hops. Then again it is a dark beer so you expect it to be more malt driven.

Does it seem like they over-complicated the cold steeping process for the grain to anyone else?

I've got to knock out that Cheeky Cherub golden ale recipe of theirs again, that was an excellent drop. Somewhere between a fat yak and a little creatures pale ale...

I've bought it, but I'll drop the sugar and put in some extra Styrian goldings with the grain boil. I've not used Nottingham before so that will be new.
Should go well with the smurto landlord which is next on the list.

Yep I bought it for, as RobboMC stated, the learning experience. Looking forward to making it.

Yep, I just purchased this as well. Have been wanting to do a dark heavy beer during winter and try my hand at some grain. kill 2 birds with 1 stone so to speak. sounds tasty. cheers.

I did the grains last night, but be warned. My pack had 300g of chocolate malt instead of 200g as per recipe and label. Ive but the spare away for a rainy day as 600g already seemed like a lot.
They are a lovely little snack though

I wasn't going to order one of these as I've decided I want to start moving towards biab all grain but for less then $50 with free shipping I decided why not!

brzt6060 said:
I wasn't going to order one of these as I've decided I want to start moving towards biab all grain but for less then $50 with free shipping I decided why not!
haha I've been trying to move to AG BIAB as well but these keep popping up

Put mine down on Friday and just took a gravity sample tonight. I ended up swapping out the white sugar for demarra and putting in an extra 20g of EKG
It's tasting really good. Very malty and chocolatey, but it's more a dark brown than black. Should be a good one I reckon

Wolfman1 said:
Put mine down on Friday and just took a gravity sample tonight. I ended up swapping out the white sugar for demarra and putting in an extra 20g of EKG
It's tasting really good. Very malty and chocolatey, but it's more a dark brown than black. Should be a good one I reckon
I too have a few modifications planned for mine, definitely won't be using that white sugar...

Just put the grains in the fridge as per their instructions. Can anyone recommend some mods other than switching the sugar. What about hops?

Willamette is my favourite flavour for browns (and darker) beers, fuggles and EKG are popular too if you have them. Even cascade works in a brown (LC Rogers anyone?).

Either way this beer is more malt driven so if you do use hops, I wouldn't be adding much more than 15 - 20g @ 10 minutes before the end of the boil. You want to know they're in there when you taste it but they should be sitting in the backseat while the malt flavour drives this beer IMHO.

ScubaSteve15 said:
Just put the grains in the fridge as per their instructions. Can anyone recommend some mods other than switching the sugar. What about hops?
I have a fascination with raspberries at the moment so I'm going to be racking 4L or so off after a week or two and adding 300g of raspberries.

I will probably also dry hop after 5 or 6 days with EKG or something similar.

Latest posts

Back