should I buy a 2nd pack of yeast to pitch ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongey

Reaction score
so sizing up my next beer to brew . thinking of doing this ESB toucan recepie of coopers strong clone . have 30 longecks of 5% IPA bottle conditioing and another 21 liters of the same in the fermeneter to be bottled next weekend . so want to add a strong beer to the stocks

Coopers Extra Strong Vintage Ale
Type: Can Kit Recipe
Batch Size: 21 litres

Ingredients
  • 1 x 1.7kg Coopers Australian Pale Ale
  • 1 x 1.7kg Coopers Real Ale
  • 1 x 1kg Dextrose
  • 1 x 24g Nelson Sauvin finishing hops
  • 1 x Safale s-04 yeast

Beer Profile
  • Estimated Original Gravity : 1.074 SG
  • Estimated Final Gravity: 1.019 FG

its starting pretty high and last strong beer extarct recepie I did from esb started almost 10 points higher than the estimated OG

would it be worth grabbing a 2nd pack of yeast to pitch ? for only $4.75 I'd rather be safe than sorry .

also have some casacde pellets and was think of dry hopping with those at the end. will that work with the Nelson Sauvin ?

I would. I'd probably get a yeast that actually finishes the job too. Nottingham would go well I think. 2 packs rehydrated should do the job nicely.

so u put 2 cans a pale ale and a real ale to 21ltrs?? have u done this brew before how did it end up

Buckstar said:
so u put 2 cans a pale ale and a real ale to 21ltrs?? have u done this brew before how did it end up
Nah it's just one of each

I haven't done it next. Probably next beer.

Check with Mr Malty. Online yeast calculator. You may be surprised just how far you may be out of correct pitching rate. Things can easily get out of wack when trying to make that blow away brew and can often have disappointing results. Yeast are sensitive little creatures and be stressed and hindered by high levels of sugar and alcohol.

edit: Oh, and that s-04 could have very disappointing results. 2 X Nottingham as suggested would be a better bet.
Consider the ball park viability of the yeast is probably around 80%. It would be nice if Yeasts packs gave a simple packaged date instead of used by dates. Used by dates are silly.

Latest posts

Back