Extract recipe - need subsitiute for Bravo hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongey

Reaction score
Heya

Putting my order online for my next brew . In the interest of moving forward I'm going to do my first boil and do this coopers session IPA recepie .

only problem is ESB is out of Bravo hops pellets.I googled a sustitue and it said columbus/tomahhwak which is out of stock as well.

I have the nelson savun and the galaxy pellets in the freezer so this recepie is screaming to be done . what can I use instead or Bravo ?

Depends entirely on what the Bravo was for, if it was a bittering hop its probably not all that important, just match the bitterness contribution. Bravo is described as a bittering hop
Simcoe, Warrior, Centennial, Palisade(?) or there are lots of possible substitutes for CZT probably most American C hops...
Mind you with 25g of Nelson and Galaxy It might not matter if its just for the fruitiness even good old Cluster works
Mark

thanks

The bravo is for the last 10 mins of 30 min boil ,probably shoudlve put that

Add Nelson Sauvin hops and boil for 10mins
then Galaxy Hops for a further 10mins then
Bravo Hops for the final 10mins (30mins boil in total).

A quick Google search says that Zeus, Columbus and Tomahawk are suitable substitutes.

slcmorro said:
A quick Google search says that Zeus, Columbus and Tomahawk are suitable substitutes.
CZT all the same hop - no I don't know why either but they are.
M

slcmorro said:
yeah I saw that. they are out of stock also which is why I was looking at other options

MHB said:
CZT all the same hop - no I don't know why either but they are.
M
I think I found this somewhere on AHB and saved it for future reference:

Columbus and Tomahawk are the same thing grown by different folk on different farms. Zeus is the step child with some similarities.

Tomahawk:
Origin/History Tomahawk® Brand F10 cv. is a bittering hop bred by Charles Zimmermann. It was selected for high alpha content, high oil content, and good yield potential. Tomahawk® was the first commercially grown “Super Alpha” variety.

Zeus:
Origin/History Zeus is a super high alpha variety developed in the Yakima Valley. It was selected for the high alpha content and high yield potential.
And this from Google:
The Columbus hop actually comes from issues with copyrights and patents between Yakima Chef, Inc and Charles E. Zimmerman. Zimmerman originally produced this variety. To clean the issue up, a joint venture was formed and named HUSA-CEZ, LLC. This is a deal between Zimmerman and Hopunion, USA.

Latest posts

Back