Cooper's APA -> XPA style

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seuss

Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to base a recipe from Coopers DIY Beer for a Cooper's XPA style with what I have (was just going to do the Kit and Can have since decided to be a little more ambitious) and a single hop for economy along with getting to know it and also get some experience.
Looking for guidance on the amount of hops to use and if it looks like it is vaguely right.

1.7kg Cooper's Aussie Pale Ale
BE3 1kg
DME (pale) 1kg
400g Crystal Grain
Mosaic hops 100g packet
1 packet yeast US-05

Cold steep grain in 3l over night, remove grain and add half the dry malt, bring to the boil add x amount of hops then boil for 15 mins.
Cool 15 mins, cool in water bath for further 15 mins
Add hop/grain liquid and remaining ingredients to FV and fill to 23L aiming for 20 degrees. Mix well then sprinkle in yeast.
Add x amount dry hops around day 7.
Wait for stable gravity and bottle.

I have entered details into the Kit + Extract beer designer
OG 1.058
FG 1.016
ABV 5.9% (bottled)
EBC 17.5 (I don't really know what this is)
IBU 39.6 (using 30g simcoe in boil and 30g dry hopped - spreadsheet doesn't have Mosaic which I guess would lower this a little)

Thanks for any feedback.

I ended up putting this down with 30g Mosaic in the boil for 15 mins and dry hopped another 45g Mosaic. OG was as predicted and was 1.016 last night although still giving the odd bubble so will give it a few extra days. No off flavours or smells from what I can tell so I am hopeful it will turn out OK, even if not on style.

Latest posts

Back