Airlock Has Stopped Bubbling Before End Of Fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fermento

Reaction score
I'm about 10 days into the fermentation of only my 3rd brew. It's one of those Munich lager jobs. After 2 days, it stopped bubbling through the airlock, which hasn't happened on any of my previous brews. I gave it a tablespoon of sugar to prime it again, and it started back up and bubbled away for another three or so days.

Then it stopped again, so I gave it a good stir, thinking the sugars must be on the bottom and not floating in the mix. It sort of started again, then stopped. The SG has been sitting on 1.010 for the last two days, but I think that's a bit much to start bottling. I was thinking of just leaving it until the weekend and bottle it then (even if the SG remains the same).

Is this something I should be worried about? Is it just some dodgy yeast or something else?
Thanks.

During the early part of fermentation, airlock activity is a good indication that something is happening. However as you near the end, there is less CO2 pressure in the headspace of the fermenter, and, if your seal on the fermenter is a bit leaky, or the O-ring that the airlock sits in is a bit suss then gas could be leaking out elsewhere. If this is the case then the airlock may stop bubbling, even though there is still CO2 coming off the brew.

If this is the case then don't worry because there is no way that bugs will get into the brew against the small but present outflow of gas. Unless your brew is really high strength then after 10 days you would expect the fermentation to be over.
What temperature have you been running it at?

Don't rely on the airlock for fermentation activity. And if your gravity reading is the same for more than 2 days, its probably ready. 1.010 isn't too high for most beers.

Also what yeast, what temp, what pitching rate (large starter)?

A Lager will take longer to ferment than an Ale.

An fg of 1010 is reasonable (not knowing the recipe) and if it has been stable for 3 days that is a very good sign that fermentation has reached its conclusion. You don't have a problem. Bottle and enjoy

cheers

grant

I'm about 10 days into the fermentation of only my 3rd brew. It's one of those Munich lager jobs. After 2 days, it stopped bubbling through the airlock, which hasn't happened on any of my previous brews. I gave it a tablespoon of sugar to prime it again, and it started back up and bubbled away for another three or so days.

Then it stopped again, so I gave it a good stir, thinking the sugars must be on the bottom and not floating in the mix. It sort of started again, then stopped. The SG has been sitting on 1.010 for the last two days, but I think that's a bit much to start bottling. I was thinking of just leaving it until the weekend and bottle it then (even if the SG remains the same).

Is this something I should be worried about? Is it just some dodgy yeast or something else?
Thanks.

1.010 is a good FG for most beers, you can sit on it a little longer if you want.

I have read that brews can stay on yeast cake for about three weeks without any real damage, longer in some ppl's opinions, personal i have only left them for two weeks and have turned out well :lol:

Good luck with your brew :chug:

It's the Brewcraft Munich lager that comes in a can with a packet of yeast. I added this to four litres of warm water and 1kg glucose. Once this had dissolved I filled the fermenter to 3/4 full and immersed a heater in it for four days (at 22C), after which I topped up the water to just under the thread of the fermenter. I've had no problems with my other two brews except for those I used special yeast I bought from the suppliers, but this time I've just used the one that came with the mixture.

Thanks all for your replies. I'll leave it until the weekend and if the gravity has stabilised, I'll bottle it. I think next time I'll buy some fresh yeast when I get my starter.

It's the Brewcraft Munich lager that comes in a can with a packet of yeast. I added this to four litres of warm water and 1kg glucose. Once this had dissolved I filled the fermenter to 3/4 full and immersed a heater in it for four days (at 22C), after which I topped up the water to just under the thread of the fermenter. I've had no problems with my other two brews except for those I used special yeast I bought from the suppliers, but this time I've just used the one that came with the mixture.

I can't make any sense nor reason of your method.
What was your OG?

Also 1.010 is in the middle ground of the BJCP style guidelines for Mucich Helles & Pale Continental Lagers.

you topped up with water? how many lts is in the fermenter?? as this will make a HUGE! difference to the FG, it should finish around 1.010 (maybe a tad higher with glucose) for a 23lt batch. You are better off filling the fermenter to the right volume to start with. 1 if you fill it alittle then the gravity maybe to high for the yeast to consume all the sugars as they can only eat so much before they stop. 2 opening the fermenter to add anything thats not 100% sanitised will be a great risk of a infection.

I would also get the temps down to 18-20c 22 is alright but i wouldnt go any higher, the beer will take longer to ferment at a lower temp but it will be a cleaner and better beer, But the yeast will go to sleep if the temps drop to much (usually 15c but wouldnt go under 16 to be sure)

You have no problems with this one either. You can't measure anything with a bubble (unless it's in a spirit level).

Read this:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...;showarticle=76

and some of these: http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&source...4cad4b41378b48f

I can't vouch for all the pages in the second link but you can read through them and maybe get an idea of how common this 'problem' is and the various things it may mean. You'll have to vet the information quality yourself.

Thanks for this. I'm pretty sure it's stable now, so I'll bottle up this weekend.

You have no problems with this one either. You can't measure anything with a bubble (unless it's in a spirit level).

Read this:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...;showarticle=76

and some of these: http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&source...4cad4b41378b48f

I can't vouch for all the pages in the second link but you can read through them and maybe get an idea of how common this 'problem' is and the various things it may mean. You'll have to vet the information quality yourself.

I'm not sure what kind of yeast it is (doesn't mention), but I kept it at the temp it recommended for the first 4 days, then turned off the heater and it's been about 12-14 since.

I've just checked and it's sitting at 16 now, so probably won't go much below that. It's bubbling now, after I stirred it earlier to check its gravity. I think I'll not worry about the bubbling and just keep an eye on the gravity. Cheers.

I would also get the temps down to 18-20c 22 is alright but i wouldnt go any higher, the beer will take longer to ferment at a lower temp but it will be a cleaner and better beer, But the yeast will go to sleep if the temps drop to much (usually 15c but wouldnt go under 16 to be sure)

I'm not sure what kind of yeast it is (doesn't mention), but I kept it at the temp it recommended for the first 4 days, then turned off the heater and it's been about 12-14 since.

Why would you let the temperature drop after 4 days?

Back