Ph meter recommendations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simbaroo

Reaction score
Hi
I'm going through storage solution for my ph pen pretty rapidly though it has remained accurate.
I'm wondering if anyone uses a pen that doesn't require to be stored in solution. I believe they do exist but can't easily find with a google search. What are the electrodes made of? Tia

Hi simbaroo,

I've found I use very little pH storage solution.

My very cheap pH meter has a cap which fits snugly over the end of the probe and seals quite tightly. I place a small amount of storage solution in the cap such that the probe is immersed but the solution doesn't spill when the cap is fitted to the probe. Each time I used the probe the last rinse is thorough, using distilled water, and I shake and blow off any excess water before refitting the cap. Unless I'm careless, I don't seem to need to replace or top up the storage solution. Though perhaps I'm missing something?
The probe stays pretty close to calibration while stored for weeks and seems to work reasonably accurately and reliably.

I bought a cheap pH meter to be going on with and to get the "hang" of incorporating pH monitoring and adjustment into my brewing practice with the intention of purchasing a more expensive one when I got the hang of it. Not wanting to risk ruining an expensive meter while I was learning which end was the wet end. However, I'm measuring close to the Bru'n Water predicted pH target most of the time so I haven't *yet* seen the need.

If cost and/or the convenience of availability of the storage solution is the issue then, according to the Bru'n Water guru, Martin Brungard you can make your own pH probe storage solution:

Create Your Own pH Probe Storage Solution

Note: I haven't tried making and using my own storage solution, though I've purchased the chemicals for when I run out of the initial (commercial) solution. Again, I haven't *yet* seen the need.

Cheers!
Rob

Back