Making a "Maltier" Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raturay

Reaction score
I recently brewed Hoppy Days Old Codger recipe which is akin to Tooheys Old. It's a very nice beer however I prefer a bit more malt presence. It's a little "sharp" for my taste. The recipe and result:

Pale Craft Malt 73%
Raw Sugar 20%
Dark Chocolate Malt 5%
Brown Malt 2%

Mash 60 min @ 68c
Mash Out 10 min @ 76c

20g Pride of Ringwood @ 60 min

SafAle English Ale S-04 Yeast @ 19c

OG 1.043 (+3)
FG 1.006 (+1)
ABV 4.9% (+0.3)
IBU 23 (-1)

It's been in the keg for one month.

Any suggestions as to what I can tweak would be appreciated.

I would reduce or eliminate the Raw Sugar, and increase the Pale Craft Malt to make up the deficit in your SG. You'll need to do the calculations to arrive at the right quantity. If you can't do that, let me know and I'll run it through my BeerSmith for you. As for the rest, the recipe looks good , as Tooheys Old was one of my favourites on tap when I lived in NSW. It actually is quite a simple beer, but excellent all the same.

I would reduce or eliminate the Raw Sugar, and increase the Pale Craft Malt to make up the deficit in your SG. You'll need to do the calculations to arrive at the right quantity. If you can't do that, let me know and I'll run it through my BeerSmith for you. As for the rest, the recipe looks good , as Tooheys Old was one of my favourites on tap when I lived in NSW. It actually is quite a simple beer, but excellent all the same.
Thanks philrob. I'm using Brewfather so will give that a go. Will that have the effect of leaving some unfermented sugars as opposed to the raw sugar being fully converted?

philrob, ignore my last question. I think I answered it myself. I've edited the recipe and replaced all of the raw sugar with pale malt. At a slightly reduced ABV it's showing a final gravity of 1.013 which I hope will achieve what I'm after.

Thanks again

Ray

Back