First Brew Fail... I think, help needed!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah ok gotcha Grok, I'll give this a go, I was under the impression that oxygen was the enemy. I've got a spunding valve set up into a bowl of water and just leave it around 9 for the whole ferment cycle, and yes it's very active from the 12 to 36-hour mark. I guess this is the yeast doing its gig?
Yep, you can control how active the yeast is by good temp control of your fermenter, you don't want a 24hr frenzy and then the party is over, try to aim for about 2~3 days of regular "popping' , then slowing down by the 4th day (for Ale). As it gets slow, raise the temp a few degrees for a few days of Diacetyl Rest, take a gravity reading if your unsure to make sure the party is really over, then chill down. Keep an eye on your pressure as it cools so you don't get negative and suck water in or implode your tank (if its plastic), add a bit of co2 just to keep it positive, or just keep your bottle gas attached at your serving psi to cover the tank going negative pressure.

Hi Snowgoose, how are your brews going? I completely get you disappointment at the brew not working. I have tried different brew vessels, and kit cans from supermarket but never seem to get a good result and as you say 'tastes like shit'. Sucks to spend the money and time to get a bad result. I am trying again now with a temp controlled fridge and a williamswarn bohemian pilsner. Taste tests so far are malty but does not have the yuck taste past brews have had. Fingers crossed for a good result, will know in about a week or so when I get to kegging it.

Hi Snowgoose, how are your brews going? I completely get you disappointment at the brew not working. I have tried different brew vessels, and kit cans from supermarket but never seem to get a good result and as you say 'tastes like shit'. Sucks to spend the money and time to get a bad result. I am trying again now with a temp controlled fridge and a williamswarn bohemian pilsner. Taste tests so far are malty but does not have the yuck taste past brews have had. Fingers crossed for a good result, will know in about a week or so when I get to kegging it.
Hiya Wizmet

Yes, I have been spoilt mostly by purchasing others home-brewed already and so I reckon that's got a lot to do with it. I've let the first one lager a fair bit longer now and it has improved, to the point that it is drinkable, although I won't be buying it again! I believe now, that I haven't done anything fundamentally wrong in the brewing process itself, just learning that home brew styles tend to be more radical taste-wise, so I am funneling down to exactly what I want. In my case, it seems to be on the yeasty wheat-type beers with the banana and clove aromas and very low on IBU's as well as Stella-type Crsp, clean low IBU Pilseners. The wheat wort I did, after the cold crash and a couple of weeks at 13psi carbonation, has turned out to be a winner, so faith is now restored ;).

A temp-controlled fridge along with pressure fermentation is the way to go I reckon, it provides more control and so should produce some great results for you Wiz, good luck with it mate! Looking forward to hearing about your results!

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back