2017 SEQ Christmas Case Swap - Tasting thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
11 - Insensate - zombie dust knockoff
Looks the part, deep amber colour with a lasting white head, I'm struggling to pin the aroma but it's deep and pleasant kinda fruity/malty with something subtle I can only describe as smoke. Flavour is more like ripe tropical fruits and clean slightly sweet malt, bitterness is there and balanced, clean, finish is like I've just eaten a cherry or other miscellaneous stonefruit. Went down well.

E46202BA-0251-4F8E-B460-A854323DBB0E.jpeg

#3 Mad Pierre Rye Saison. Ispent 1 hour trying to dis-arm this to no avail. Overcarbed, but this is easy to happen with saisons (they bolt to around 1006 but will go lower. ) Anyways good gassy number saison worked well with the rye notes.

10 - Ciderman - Tassie wild dark saison thing

Sorry for the listed notes but to sum it up I'm tasting sweet & sour dark fruit chocolate and it's really nice.

I must also add that it had a creamy head that lasted all the way down the glass. Often rare with bugged beers

2A4999BA-3067-4387-B32E-31FE73C8FA67.jpeg

Last edited:
8. Earle - Santa Saison

This was the best of the Saisons. I’m a little tired of the style now... so many saisons!

IMG_0967.jpg

11. Insensate Zombie Dust Clone

Was good to have a hoppy beer to cleanse my palate from all the Saisons. This was pretty good.

IMG_0989.jpg

12. Angus Imperial Porter.

Nice beer. Enjoyed over a couple of hours.

IMG_1025.jpg

Randai - Tooheys 1922.

Much like the Tooth’s beer this beer had nothing to hide and was nothing short of excellent. Could drink quite a few of these.

IMG_1006.jpg

22. Scotty Mack.

Agree with other comments. Did taste warm fermented. Drinkable though on a warm day.

23. Winkle - Black Wheat

Slightly tart. Really enjoyed this but just tasted a bit light on for malt, almost light beer esk. Might just need further ageing.

3 - mad Pierre - red rye saison
Carbonation was explosive which brought all the sediment into suspension, spicy, phenolic, dry-ish but with a sticky sweet finish possibly from the rye. Actually a pretty enjoyable beer, shared it with my father in law who is a wine buff and he also liked it.

7B9CF229-95B7-484D-9D88-27B2FE6DE1F3.jpeg

3 - mad Pierre - red rye saison
Carbonation was explosive which brought all the sediment into suspension, spicy, phenolic, dry-ish but with a sticky sweet finish possibly from the rye. Actually a pretty enjoyable beer, shared it with my father in law who is a wine buff and he also liked it.

View attachment 110838

Yeah, worked out it needed to be decanted straight away upon opening mate...and thanks, it's a pretty nice beer without the carb issues. Will be playing this one again.

23 - Winkle - black buckwheat witbiere
Black with slightly hazy red highlights, light pepper and light roast, maybe some zest in the nose but slight berries in the flavour, clean finish more or less. Delicate and inherently drinkable beer, two thumbs up.

895B4667-3F38-43F0-9993-27DA2BC1C7BD.jpeg

All beers consumed. My 3-2-1

1. Blueberry Hefe
2. Belgian Multistrain
3. Tooths 1959’s

Limiting myself to just 5:

My picks
3 points - #12 - imperial porter
2 points - # 11 - zombie dust clone
1 point - #23 - Black buckwheat witbiere

Hon. mentions:
#8 - Bad Santa
#10 - Tassie wild dark saison

18 Nickxb imperial amber ale

This is something specials we had it first because it was the one that was cold, turns out this was a total misplay. A spectacular beer, it's a hard act to follow. Hides the 9.5% amazingly well! could barely tell it was here until the end. The base beer tastes like a solid example, and the rum barrel aging has really taken it to the next level. Definitely a top 3 beer.

All beers consumed. My 3-2-1

1. Blueberry Hefe
2. Belgian Multistrain
3. Tooths 1959’s

I'd better start the spreadsheet. Are your numbers the points given, or the places (ie 3rd place gets 1 point and 1st gets 3 points)?

1. Was my best beer, but for the sake of your spreadsheet I’d reverse it so the highest point wins.

1. Was my best beer, but for the sake of your spreadsheet I’d reverse it so the highest point wins.

So to be clear, number 1 (blueberry hefe) is your favourite, and you're giving it 3 points. Is that right?

Back