2017 SEQ Christmas Case Swap - Tasting thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The common descriptors are papery, cardboard, possibly dark fruit accompanying.

I find a real musty thing that’s hard to describe.

The only way to know is to take two PET of the same beer, drink half of one, then tomorrow do a side-by-side with the second half and a fresh bottle.

Sounds like a challenge :drinkingbeer:And a good excuse to neck a couple beers...hopefully I have a some PET ones left, I don't think I do. Is it usually only the PET that does it?

It really depends on where in the process it occurs. If it’s the whole batch then look at oxygen introduced toward the end of primary or in bottling.

An individual bottle may have been the last bottle filled or something that managed extra O2. I’m really just guessing though.

It really depends on where in the process it occurs. If it’s the whole batch then look at oxygen introduced toward the end of primary or in bottling.

An individual bottle may have been the last bottle filled or something that managed extra O2. I’m really just guessing though.

Thanks mate...I got no PET left, will give a glass one a try tomorrow...or two glass ones tonight and tomorrow. The first and last bottles of any fill are always kept separate, and there was nothing out of the ordinary in any of my processes with this....ashley, given it's all glass, will just rty one and check for the characeristics you mentioned. Ones I've tried till now went down well, may have been a dodgy bottle...or cap. There'll be a glass one for youi at next BABBs.

12 - Imperial Porter

Great beer! Notes of coffee, chocolate, even Tia Maria, and a nice alcohol warmth. Really enjoyed it.

Nice one, Angus.

12-2017.jpg

Had a few extras that I did in champagne bottles with extra priming sugar. Reckon the normal PET bottles are definitely good to go now.

full

#3 is ready to go, highly recommend that decant straight to a jug or very large glass if possible, trub-like stuff not the most pleasan, thad to syphon off of 7L of sludge to bottle.
Nice drop though.

IMG_1091.JPG

2 and 15 were the battle of the saisons. Did prefer 15.

9 was pretty delicious too.

MP - I enjoyed what was left of your #3 the other afternoon - holy crap Batman, it was a gusher to be proud of!

By the time I got the bottle over the railing to finish it's frothy extravaganza, there wasn't a heck of a lot remaining. Wasn't sure what it would do to the deck (corrode s/s nails, warp timber, leak down the steel stumps and eat the concrete foundations - no, I exaggerate a little there) but I did flush the foam off the timber with a bucket of water. Bloody waste of good foam though... (and good thing I was outside too!)

But the PET held just fine! So dunno - double dosing at bottling time? But nice beer :cool:.

23- winkles black buckwheat witbiere
IMG_1514271693.353016.jpg

Lovely tight head that lasted pretty Well. I’m not a huge fan of wheat beers so I was surprised to taste this, the wheat flavour was very weak and I’m not sure what grains has made the black colour but there’s a light chocolate malt type flavour there. Carbonation was light, overall a very nice easy drinking beer.
Thanks Perry.

15 @pcqypcqy - Christmas ale - no picture due to Christmas day drunkenedness
Appearance: Brown/dark amber colour. Decentish head
Aroma: General maltiness and a slight roast smell. Not picking up spice on the nose
Flavour: Super malty and chewy beer. With a roast character there, not over powering or even that prominent. Not much spice as far as I can remember. Slight tartness to it.
Mouthfeel: Very much a sipping beer. With a big malt character to it.
Overall: Good malty beer. Though probably not the best for the hot summers day/afternoon that I drank it.

18. Nickxb - imperial amber ale (rum)

I know high ABV beers are sweeter but this literally tastes like someone poured honey into my beer. It’s got a nice flavour but maybe just needed more bitterness to carry it.

IMG_0960.jpg

17. Zorco - Multistrain Belgian

I was hoping this was half as good as your last case swap beer, and I have to say it’s pretty pretty pretty pretty good (cue Larry David).

The aroma combines the typical fruity Belgium esters with complex caramel nutty praline aroma.

It’s warming and I know it’s got a high abv, but it’s hidden by the intensity of flavour. Lime marmalade comes through with a mild amount of spice.

I’ve got six beers left and they’d have to be pretty bloody good to knock this out of the top 3.

IMG_0961.jpg

MP - I enjoyed what was left of your #3 the other afternoon - holy crap Batman, it was a gusher to be proud of!

By the time I got the bottle over the railing to finish it's frothy extravaganza, there wasn't a heck of a lot remaining. Wasn't sure what it would do to the deck (corrode s/s nails, warp timber, leak down the steel stumps and eat the concrete foundations - no, I exaggerate a little there) but I did flush the foam off the timber with a bucket of water. Bloody waste of good foam though... (and good thing I was outside too!)

But the PET held just fine! So dunno - double dosing at bottling time? But nice beer :cool:.
When I popped my #3 in the fridge it looked like it was keen to get out f the bottle judging by the swelling of the lid. Upon opening it didn't gush but once poured it was definitely over carbonated and had a heap of suspended yeast that just wouldn't quit rising to the head then sinking again - was quite amazing that it kept it up for at least 10 minutes.
No3.JPG

#22 Pilsner/Belgian Ale (couple of weeks to carb)

Opened the second one this afternoon, and maybe I just don't like Belgian Ales! Both mine were cloudy, flat and headless, and reminiscent of the beginners home-brews I was turning out in the 70's using powdered Brigalow kits in the heat of a Rockhampton summer. (That's not a good recollection either!)

So was it a pilsner or a Belgian ale? The two would seem to be at opposite ends of the flavour spectrum. What was the yeast and the ferment temp?

#22 Pilsner/Belgian Ale (couple of weeks to carb)

Opened the second one this afternoon, and maybe I just don't like Belgian Ales! Both mine were cloudy, flat and headless, and reminiscent of the beginners home-brews I was turning out in the 70's using powdered Brigalow kits in the heat of a Rockhampton summer. (That's not a good recollection either!)

So was it a pilsner or a Belgian ale? The two would seem to be at opposite ends of the flavour spectrum. What was the yeast and the ferment temp?

I actually really enjoyed this beer.

If you told me it was a traditional pilsner I would say get fucked. But if you told me it was the golden piss of a Buddhist Monk I would say **** yes!

17. Zorco - Multistrain Belgian

I was hoping this was half as good as your last case swap beer, and I have to say it’s pretty pretty pretty pretty good (cue Larry David).

The aroma combines the typical fruity Belgium esters with complex caramel nutty praline aroma.

It’s warming and I know it’s got a high abv, but it’s hidden by the intensity of flavour. Lime marmalade comes through with a mild amount of spice.

I’ve got six beers left and they’d have to be pretty bloody good to knock this out of the top 3.

View attachment 110722

I was charged with the designated driver duties for Xmas lunch so this beer was my reward when I got home. Another really enjoyable and dangerously sessionable beer.

I actually really enjoyed this beer.

If you told me it was a traditional pilsner I would say get fucked. But if you told me it was the golden piss of a Buddhist Monk I would say **** yes!

Yeah, need Scott to get on here and explain it a bit, might help clarify what it's meant to be. I took it to be a belgian beer but using a high amount of pilsner malt as the base. Ignoring all of that, I liked it on overall impression.

Latest posts

Back