2015 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First cascade harvest, 184g wet. Loving it :D

Cascade First Harvest.jpg

what length do they tend to start flowering, ive got a first year cascade with two vines at about 1.4m, still no flowers.

Well mine have been odd.
Grew a little then stopped.
The original growth on the Chinook looks fucked.
Shoots have come up elsewhere - 3 about 3 feet tall in two weeks.
The days are still long here, it's hot and wet.

No, had three shoots in the beggining which stopped (the tallest being bout 250mm high the other two bout 50mm), but about 2months later 2 new bines grew out of the side of one of the 50mm ones (which are the two 1.4m bines).

Mine did that and I attributed it to not enough water because they started growing like mad once we got some rain. I was tempted to cut them right back at one stage but eventually they either shot new ones or even some of the old growth began to grow again. I had drippers on them the whole time but a good soaking seems to be what they were chasing.

Curious to know, how does people handle the rhizomes once they've finished?
Are they OK to leave in the ground? Do I have to keep watering them? Or should I pull them out, wrap them in wet news paper + plastic bag and store in the fridge?

Wolfman86 said:
what length do they tend to start flowering, ive got a first year cascade with two vines at about 1.4m, still no flowers.
I have a first year cascade growing in Perth and it has just reached about 2.5 meters. About 1 week ago it started growing burrs, but not on laterals, just on the main bine. I think there's 5-10 burrs in total (so nothing amazing at this point!) and I'm religiously watering it.

Tie it in a knot before it slides back down... (insert ninja smiley here)

From what I can gather mate, as long as your vertical lines are strong she will shoot laterals and just get nice and bushy. My cascade victoria and chinook have done just that. Seems to be pretty self supporting.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1422770098.296246.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1422770119.613027.jpg

Still got a while to go but flowering nicely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back