2015 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First time grower (well hops anyway!)

I have two Chinook and 3 cascade zomes in. In one area i have 1 bine from each rhizome about 200mm above ground. A few questions.....

1. Do i cut these ones and wait for the second bine?
2. I have a large gum tree close and was thinking of throwing the string over a branch and let the hopes grow up the tree. thoughts?
3. This tree has possums in it regularly, will i just be feeding the wildlife?

cheers
beercus

beercus said:
2. I have a large gum tree close and was thinking of throwing the string over a branch and let the hopes grow up the tree. thoughts?
I thought about doing this too, but i was worried that when the branches move in the wind, it may uproot the plants. This obviously may not be a problem if the branch is really close to the trunk, or you don't get much wind.

Alex.Tas said:
I thought about doing this too, but i was worried that when the branches move in the wind, it may uproot the plants. This obviously may not be a problem if the branch is really close to the trunk, or you don't get much wind.
Where i would throw the rope over would be very sturdy. But would give it a little slack now you mention it.

Last season i just nailed a long plank horizontally half way up the tree (big ladder) and ran the (4) lines up to it..
It worked ok...

Finally got around to stringing up my poxy little hops support
I had a bit of a swing off it and it seemed pretty stable, if it dies I guess I'll try something else instead
The biggest runner has grown about 2ft in the last week!
Hops Sculpture.jpg

mofox1 said:
How many bines to a string? Just one, or multiple?
going back a page or so, I think we concluded up to 3 would be a good number champ...

it's good up to 100kg, I'm thinking the left overs might make a good line for my BIAB hoist since my other stuff is a little mouldy

BottloBill said:
going back a page or so, I think we concluded up to 3 would be a good number champ...
Cheers, missed that.. saw something about number of lines (3), so is that 9 bines per plant?

Finally got my lines in yesterday, a bit late because my Super Alpha is already about 50cm and was just lazily climbing up the chook wire I had to protect it from the kids. The plant is sitting between two posts of the front porch and I've spider-webbed 4 strings between them.

Not sure if I'm going to regret my line choice though... All the line I see in photos in this thread looks 3-6mm dia, the sisal the missus picked up from bunnies for me is probably only 1-2mm dia. Not too late to change it I suppose.

Mofox, I doubled mine over and twisted it in a cordless to make mine stronger. I finally finished my roll so will use something stronger next year. I've only had a couple strings break in previous years but usually by that time the bines pretty much support themselves.

mofox1 said:
Cheers, missed that.. saw something about number of lines (3), so is that 9 bines per plant?

Finally got my lines in yesterday, a bit late because my Super Alpha is already about 50cm and was just lazily climbing up the chook wire I had to protect it from the kids. The plant is sitting between two posts of the front porch and I've spider-webbed 4 strings between them.

Not sure if I'm going to regret my line choice though... All the line I see in photos in this thread looks 3-6mm dia, the sisal the missus picked up from bunnies for me is probably only 1-2mm dia. Not too late to change it I suppose.
Only new to it myself so the other folks may be able to clarify it better....but I read it like this, Try to keep the strongest 3 to 4 bines per Rhizome and basically train them up a line.

First update for the season.

I still have PoR, Saaz, Chinook, Perle and Victoria all starting to show shoots but these are just some pics of the front runners.

20141010_164533.jpg

20141010_164540.jpg

20141010_164552.jpg

20141010_164605.jpg

Cheers

Is anyone else's cascade still to pop up? Have had mine in for a good month or so now and still nothing...... had my red earth pop up after a couple of weeks

Mine has, but done nothin. In Canberra though.
Chinook just popped up a couple days ago but making a go.
Second year Mt Hood... Whoah!

First year dont expect much of your new plants, let them establish. Make 6 foot if lucky, second year.... :blink:

BottloBill said:
Only new to it myself so the other folks may be able to clarify it better....but I read it like this, Try to keep the strongest 3 to 4 bines per Rhizome and basically train them up a line.
What about when you have 2 dozen!!!

And weird ones which break ground and then dive back under... Like something outa Dune!

My Canterbury goldings has hit about 10ft with one bine, the rest are following at a more respectable pace and height, bloody thing's insane for this time of year, it's not even in a full sun position...

Instead of just cutting off the excess bines and binning them why not use them to clone the mother plant, dip the ends into rooting hormone and replant them, even if you don't need the extra plants you could get a good future rhizome by keeping them trimmed to ensure a good strong roots to keep as spares or for swapping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back