2015 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dad's been growing saaz for a fews years now and had been getting into high aa hops lately like galaxy I know rhizomes are not available for it but What can you get that comes close?

glenos said:
I have burrs! My Perle has finally started making flowers, there isn't a lot there but it is something. Just a few morw months until harvest.

This is a 1st year plant the top of the pole is 3.7m and the bine with the flowers is 5m, there are three other bines. My Cascade is at 3m and just staring lateral growth.
Three weeks later and this has happened.

Cascade is also 4.5m and burring up, it hasn't grown as well as Perle but is going to give me a small baggie.

WP_20150216_003.jpg

It's time. Not a very big yield, but I'll take it!! About 150 g wet. Victoria.
If I can get one brew out of it, so be it!

Cheers to Mardoo!!

1424078409269.jpg

1424078423919.jpg

1424078468319.jpg

My Hallertauer has died right back due to all the rain we've had washing all the fertiliser and nutrients away :(
Won't be getting anything off it this year, thinking I might flog it off at the end of season and get something a little more suited to our climate up north

Hersbrucker good to go for first harvest tomorrow. I have noticed new burs coming on for a second harvest in around 3 to 4 weeksB)

1424143496844.jpg

1424143537051.jpg

Rob.P said:
Perhaps a touch early but... BOOM!!!
I would consider that an extremely late hop... not early :)

Rob.P said:
Perhaps a touch early but... BOOM!!!

One more thing... is that a Godin in the background there?

That shit is mental!!! Here's my first year yield in comparison...
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1424307029.428346.jpg

Sixdemondog,with the discussion of to pot or not,fertiliser ,watering regime,position,weather etc,that's a bloody good crop first year !
Did you keep any records ?, got any tips for the other growers here.
Cheers....spog....

I went in pretty naive about the whole thing, but I tried to do everything right to see if it was even possible. But essentially:

-Pots are of the 'self-watering' type, which could easily be replicated with a bowl of some description as the base before putting your mix in. On a side note, I splurged with fairly nice looking pots…at is was a pre-requisite from the SWMBO

-Initial soil mix was 2/3 potting mix and 1/3 manure.

-I use a powder fertiliser every 2 weeks or so.

-I just used thin rope for the lines. I knotted them and tucked them or tied them to the rim of the pot. Easy and really clean.

-They get full sun from about 6-7am to about 4pm, then completely shaded. The pots (and soil) don't get a great deal of heat as they shade themselves and from the wall behind. I think this is important in the higher latitudes with pots. You don't want them cooking.

-I'm just watering with a hose, a real drenching, in the morning. Maybe in the arvo its been really hot.

-The initial rhizomes were not excessively large or anything. Purchased a few off the boards here, and a few off ebay.

-I really baby them. I see them from the couch, so I'm out there all the time twirling them and even got out and set up a tarp with the rain event we had early in the season to protect them.

-I planted them really early. Last week of July.

-I even threw a rhizome in my herb pot for shits and giggles. That on, a cascade is the lushest of the bunch. The simplest pot, the least sun, and propped against a wall! the pic is at the end. Cones are huge.

-Bugs were a little bit of a problem at the start. Spider mites. I sprayed them vigorously.

Hope that helps somebody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back