2009 Nsw Xmas In July Tasting Notes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4. Fatgodzilla - Side swap beer #918

Drank this beer last night at the end of a very long session - so my memory isn't too crash hot.

I can safely say that this was a smoked beer. And a most awesome one at that. Excellent use of the smoked malt - lots of flavours coming through, but not over powering like some smoked beers I've had. There must be a beer revolution going on down there in Tuross

Have you got a recipe for this one Ian? I'd love to get one of these on tap.

Cheers

Well, I'm sorry to say that some of my beers are going to be drain pours. I had tasted a few before the swap and one had a really disgusting vegetal taste :icon_vomit: which worried me. Then after tasting another couple which were fine I thought it must have been just that bottle. Now I've tasted another one with this same taste I'm guessing that one of the two fermenters I used for the batch was harbouring something. So, sorry to all those who have the bad batch. :( Will try to make up for it in the next case swap.

I chucked in a few random side swap beers in amongst the swap beers.
Not sure who got them, but they're caps should be HN (Half Nelson pale ale) and EF (Epic Fail pale ale). Both are APA's with Nelson Sauvin hops, the Half Nelson has some B Saaz, and the Epic Fail has some NZ Cascade too. They're both ready to drink now, without being particularly interesting...

i got one of the epic fails muggus. i was the one that put the dark mild in, im actually drinking one now. its a little on the sweet side

i got one of the epic fails muggus. i was the one that put the dark mild in, im actually drinking one now. its a little on the sweet side
Ah good stuff Barls. I might as well give yours a try while i'm here.

Oh and yeah, the Epic Fail didn't turn out nearly as well as I expected...thus the name...I think it's a bit under-attenuated.

12. Stuster - Southern English Brown, 4.2%, Wyeast 1026

Opened with a bit of caution. Mine wasnt sink material :icon_cheers: .

Poured with a big fluffy head. Dark brown with ruby highlights. Aroma is chocolate/roasty malts, a touch of fruit and yeast. Flavour is similar, a fair bit of flavour is coming from the yeast. Finishes reasonably dry with a nice roasty finish. Medium body. Med/low carb. Nice beer. Thanks Stuart.

Cheers
Andrew.

Hurray. Glad some are good, Andrew. :)

Really was a bad feeling to open one last night and pretty much tip it straight down the sink. Thanks for the review. :beerbang:

just chucked the epic fail and a few other in the fridge so i can try tomorrow.

Decided I might indulge in a couple of side-swap beers first up.

Beer: Barls - Dark Mild (side-swap)
Date: 2nd August 2009
Details: 750ml twisttop, yellow obolon cap, bottled 16th June 2009

Notes:
Served lightly chilled in goblet.
Nice loud psst upon opening.
Pours a finger-worth of tan head atop a dark brown body with highlighted edges.

Moderate roasted nose; nuts, toast and toffee, faint dark chocolate and liquorice. Hint of hop citrus and earthy spice, and grainy bread.

Body is reasonably lean, as is the style, low carbonation, smooth texture, possibly the slightest bit soapy but not offputting.

Nice malt driven flavour; roasted nuts, toasted dark grain bread, rich milk chocolate, with some leafy English hop character and subtle undertones plum and dark berries. Finishes with quite a low bitterness and slight roasted dryness.

Well rounded with a nice, easy-going sort of roasted flavour, i'd say like Tooheys Old and it probably has about the same body, but not as sharp and a far better beer! Cheers Barls!

Beer: Fatgodzilla - Brambling Cross Ale (side-swap)
Details: 750ml crownseal, gold cap "909" (or "bob"?), 3.4%alc/vol

Notes:
Served chilled in goblet.
Loud psst on opening.
Pours a hazy straw coloured body with a sizeable white fluffy foam that hangs around; looks quite lively!

I get plenty of cereally malts upfront, bit of white bread leading onto spicy and floral hopiness of seemingly a non-descript type. Has an underlying yeastiness that I percieve as a slight minerally sharpness.

Lively carbonation lend a slight creaminess to the palate. Body is on the lean side, drying out quite quickly, accentuating the bitterness.

Pale malt character prominant; biscuity, breakfast cereals, plain white bread. Subtle hop character, touch of spice and lemon rind. A note of minerally sharpness on a moderately bitter finish, somewhat dry, subtle hop fruitiness lingers but very clean overall.

Could have fooled me to believing this was a lager/pilsner of sorts! Certainly has the lean, crisp palate, mouthfeel, colour, and apparent malt character of a young pilsner. Probably almost like an English-style summer Blonde Ale I guess; vibrant, fresh, and light. Was a bit taken back at first, but I took a real shining to it! Thanks Ian, always enjoy your creations!

Decided I might indulge in a couple of side-swap beers first up.

Beer: Barls - Dark Mild (side-swap)
Details: 750ml twisttop, yellow obolon cap, bottled 16th June 2009

Notes:
Served lightly chilled in goblet.
Nice loud psst upon opening.
Pours a finger-worth of tan head atop a dark brown body with highlighted edges.

Moderate roasted nose; nuts, toast and toffee, faint dark chocolate and liquorice. Hint of hop citrus and earthy spice, and grainy bread.

Body is reasonably lean, as is the style, low carbonation, smooth texture, possibly the slightest bit soapy but not offputting.

Nice malt driven flavour; roasted nuts, toasted dark grain bread, rich milk chocolate, with some leafy English hop character and subtle undertones plum and dark berries. Finishes with quite a low bitterness and slight roasted dryness.

Well rounded with a nice, easy-going sort of roasted flavour, i'd say like Tooheys Old and it probably has about the same body, but not as sharp and a far better beer! Cheers Barls!
well thats a quite favorable review. im glad you liked it.

10. Grantw - Belgian Golden Strong 8.10%

Poured pale, Big fluffy head. Aroma is Belgiany :) . Phenyls and esters seem quite well balanced, malt also showing. Good carb. Bitterness suits. Flavour follows the aroma, with a touch of sweetness, and im also getting a bit of orange citrus. Malt comes up as it warms. Alc very well hidden. Quite a lot going on here. Very nice beer, thanks Grant.

Cheers
Andrew.

4. Fatgodzilla - Side swap beer #918

I can safely say that this was a smoked beer. And a most awesome one at that. Excellent use of the smoked malt - lots of flavours coming through, but not over powering like some smoked beers I've had.
Cheers

Thanks for the compliment, but sorry, no exact recipe. This was a chuck away brew - my notes says its a "Three Malt Alt" - 2.3kg Wey Rauchmalt, 600g Wey Rye and 2.3kg Wey Vienna. Tettnanger. Whitelabs German Ale/Kolsch yeast. End of notes. Chuck away cos the last of my Rauch & Vienna ! Can't give anymore hints on SG etc. I've a few bottles of this left - will keep for the next IBU day !

Whats in the bottle with 926 on the lid Fatz?

I've got it in Beersmith as a Golden Ale - 54% Munich 26%BoPils 13%Wheat 7% Caraamber, Tettnang 31 IBU, Wyeast Edinburgh Ale yeast. Can't remember if I Have tasted it myself yet (last beer I bottled) so hope drinkable.

There must be a beer revolution going on down there in Tuross

When the revolution starts comrade, I'll be the first one up against the wall and shot !

Syd_03 .. Anyone who got a green cap CPA this is my side swap pale ale, ready to drink, used recultured coopers yeast so feel free to enjoy bright or cloudy. White cap IPA is my swap beer from the previous easter swap, ready to drink.

Drank both . bloody good'uns. Shared the CPA with known Coopers drinker who didn't believe it a home brew - reckons it was a brewery issue ! Guts the IPA down by myself - nice hoppiness - very drinkable brew. Just spent the weekend in Sydney drinking various (numerous) craft beers - this one was as good as any I paid good money for. Well done Jason !

10. Grantw - Belgian Golden Strong 8.10%

<snip>

Cheers
Andrew.

Cheers Andrew. Glad you liked it!

I tried Ian's side swap 909 tonight and like previous tasters couldn't believe it wasn't a lager, though am thinking about getting some bramling cross into the freezer.

The short story is
Pale blonde, hoppy aroma, strong carb, sensing some light malt in the body followed with firm bitterness and a dry finish.

A satisfying beer.

Thanks Ian.

cheers

grant

sitting here enjoying gibbo's ipa.
nice amber colour with a decent hop arroma
really nice even swmbo liked it.

Also got some 1056 yeast (cheers gruntus) so making up a starter tonight to get the cube of "altbier" (ameican amber I think we changed to on the day) going friday.

Well got around to the starter on Friday night and got it in the fermenter tonight. Must say my cube smells more like hops than the Hydrometer sample did though. SG was 1054.

Drank both . bloody good'uns. Shared the CPA with known Coopers drinker who didn't believe it a home brew - reckons it was a brewery issue ! Guts the IPA down by myself - nice hoppiness - very drinkable brew. Just spent the weekend in Sydney drinking various (numerous) craft beers - this one was as good as any I paid good money for. Well done Jason !

Well that is high praise indeed Ian, thanks. Both were kits+kg bits brews, the IPA even used the kit yeast. Glad you and your mate were able to enjoy them. Shame I forgot you were in Sydney this weekend, I was at the SCG and taphouse on Saturday night.

Hmmm sounds like from your review I should be contacting Coopers or you for payment of the beers sampled haha ;)

On a serious note, I'll have to get you some cash for the swap beer for the Big Brew Day, I got some out at Bunnings on the way there, but forgot to give it to you.

Had one last night while watching SWMBO catch up soccer game.

I liked it, nice and dry finish, very enjoyable. I did take some notes but not too detailed, I'll have the other tonight and get a proper report up.

Had the other bottle last night.

4. Fatgodzilla - 913 Altbier (side swap)

02/08/09

Poured thick slightly off white head atop a golden to amber colour body. Heavy consistent haze, I think I should have cold conditioned this one for a month or so. Head sticks around for length of glass and actually stood vertically 1-2cm above the rim of the glass when poured.

Body is thin to med however the beer maintains its head and laces the glass well; carbonation is med to high. Aroma is slightly fruity but dominated by malt with a toasty/bready note and a small touch of honey/toffee and maybe the tiniest cocoa? Earthy, grassy and slight pine/spice/peppery hop notes back up the malt profile well.

Flavour is somewhat grainy with a full maltiness and a slight hop flavour, very clean dry finish with a lingering bitterness.

Nice work Ian, could sit on this for a while.

Cheers
Jason.

Ballsed up and misread the wiki, i chilled and drunk #15 - ESB.

First think i notice is that the carbonation is perfect, and on the nose it has a fruity aroma, is this a NZ variation on a english hop? Or is it bramlimg cross?

toffee and almost a bit of smoke but thats probably a yeast characteristic i imagine, throw some rum in there too, prbs from the higher alc, as it warms i get a bit more malt and nice grassyness from the flavour hops. More malt would be nice but i'd imagine this would develop if i learnt to read and tried it a few weeks later.

Nice beer mate. Oh and bitterness was spot on for me, 40+IBU?

hey stu just cracked yours mines all good.

That's good to hear, barls.

I opened and rapidly poured away two of the extra bottles of mine last night. :icon_vomit: Seems like most of the bad ones were left with me. Which is good. I suppose. :huh: :lol:

Back