2009 Nsw Xmas In July Tasting Notes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cortez The Killer

HeCameDancingAcrossTheWater
Reaction score
Here begins the 2009 NSW Xmas In July tasting notes

A beer list for your information

Member - Beer Name - Style - Alc % - Ready To Drink Date - Other Relevant Info

1. Josh - Oktoberfest Wyeast 2308 - bottled 21/7, don't fridge till 21/8, best enjoyed 27/9-1/10 when the brewer is in Munich smile.gif - delivered to Retsamhsam 22/7 PM
2. RetsamHsam - Doppelbock 7.5%, Best if left for a month or so in the bottle..
3. Muggus - Imonab Oat Brown Ale - American-style brown with NZ hops. S-04, 4.7% abv bottled 29th June, best give it a couple of weeks to settle and mellow
4. Fatgodzilla - Kolsch - had a couple of months in the lager, bottled late June, still not fully carbed. Put somewhere warm for a few weeks then leave in fridge for a week or two before drinking
5. Gulpa - US Amber Ale. Wy1056. Bottled 3/7/09. Wait at least a week, preferably a few more if you can
6. nifty - some sort of stout, bottled 5/7/2009, 5.3%, Wyeast 1469.
7. Bizier - Ming's Myrceness US IPA ~7%abv drink after Aug 15
8. Cortez The Killer - Haggis For Breakfast - Scottish 80/- - 4.8% - 1st August - Recipe
9. Thommo - Belgian Ale, WLP550 (I think). Wait a month
10. Grantw - Belgian Golden Strong 8.10% - carbed to 3.7 volumes - let settle for a week then ready to go
11. Insight - AIPA, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale clone 6.8%. Bottled 19/07 Needs 1 more week to carb up, probably won't be at its best for a month or so.
12. Stuster - Southern English Brown
13. Troy Dack - Belgian Golden Strong ~6.4%, bottled 05 JUL 09
14. Monkeybusiness - APA - ready to drink - FGZ to collect and bring up
15. Syd_03- ESB around 6%- bottling later tonight(24/07/09). Best to give 4 or so weeks. 21/08/09
16. andrew.gaul - Some Sorta Porter - bottled on 19/07/2009 best to let age for a month or so
17. jonw - Pooch Drool. American Brown ~4%. Green cap unnumbered. Bottled on the morning of the swap, and will need a couple of weeks to carb up. I'm not attending - Insight's bringing my case.
19. barls - kels special honey ginger beer 4.3% bottled a month ago but might need more time to carb up but should be fine to drink now if you cant wait
20. Gruntus - Not so Sparkling Ale or a Landlordian. Syd_03 to bring my swap (Thanks Jason)
21. Gibbo Trans Pacific IPA (ready to drink now, but best wait till the yeast settles after transport)
23. redb

4. Fatgodzilla - Side swap beer #909

Picked up one of FGZ's side swap beers - bottle marked "909". Discovered this morning it was already cold after travelling back in the esky with ice bricks - so I popped it into the fridge. Poured into a Duvel glass. Gold in appearance. White fluffy head which persists. Wasn't sure what style this beer is. After initial smell and taste am guessing a lager - most likely a pilsner. Then proceeded to spill beer all over a new Macbook Pro laptop to really pick up the volatiles. And rest assured things were very volatile here until everything was cleaned up and the laptop started up again. Thankfully!

Nose full of noble hops - spicy and malty characters coming through. Very clean. Flavour wise there's lots of hop goodness balanced very well with a good malt back bone. Very clean. The balance in the beer is awesome. Medium body along with medium carb, crisp and refreshing. This beer is most awesome. Top work Ian - probably your finest effort I've had to date! And rest assured I'm sure I'll be thinking of this beer every time I use this laptop.

Cheers

4. Fatgodzilla - Side swap beer #909

Picked up one of FGZ's side swap beers - bottle marked "909". Discovered this morning it was already cold after travelling back in the esky with ice bricks - so I popped it into the fridge. Poured into a Duvel glass. Gold in appearance. White fluffy head which persists. Wasn't sure what style this beer is. After initial smell and taste am guessing a lager - most likely a pilsner. Then proceeded to spill beer all over a new Macbook Pro laptop to really pick up the volatiles. And rest assured things were very volatile here until everything was cleaned up and the laptop started up again. Thankfully!

Nose full of noble hops - spicy and malty characters coming through. Very clean. Flavour wise there's lots of hop goodness balanced very well with a good malt back bone. Very clean. The balance in the beer is awesome. Medium body along with medium carb, crisp and refreshing. This beer is most awesome. Top work Ian - probably your finest effort I've had to date! And rest assured I'm sure I'll be thinking of this beer every time I use this laptop.

Cheers

The 909 is my Brambling Cross Ale.

BoPils 64% Marris Otter 36%, 50g Brambling Cross 60 min 20g EKG at flameout, no chill, . 20 litres to fermenter.Windsor yeast 1.038 down to 1.012 . 3.38% ABV

Style .. the boys at the Case Swap brewing session will tell you I don't brew to style. Guess you'd call it an English Pale Ale or an Ordinary Bitter. Handed a few of these out - go for it boys.

Good news the Macbook still works !

Brambling cross...hmmmmm.... I blame it on tongue fatigue.

Great beer none the less

Cheers

My tasting notes says I didn't like this from the fermenter - seemed to have a strange odour and taste I didn't like. I decided then not to brew with BC again. Seems like the four months it had in the bottle was what it needed to mature. As I said on Saturday, this was my favourite brew at the moment, so I was happy to share :icon_cheers:

I think I've got 50g of BC left - may do an exact copy and see if I get similiar results.

I did a strong bitter once with BC and think that my 30-15 min additions were too strong, and they required a bit of age to smooth over, from memory there was a kind of unpleasant hop sweetness. Once there was some age though, it was fantastic, very similar to how the Coopers 2008 is drinking currently.

I think I grabbed one of those Fats, so I look forward to it.

As a note, my 39 (mild) and 40 (English pale ale) are over carbonated due to unpredictable Ringwood behaviour, so maybe pour cold to a jug if you have one to keep sediment intact and let them de-gas a bit. I have been dry excepting Saturday, so had not tried them carbed up til then.

Hey all, make sure my IPA is real cold before trying to open, i may have over carbed, wich is odd cause i actually had some LDME still in the bottom of the bulk prime tub, but i opened one at a mates place over the weekend and it was fairly fizzy. Make your mind up, decant if needed.

Fatgodzilla what was your 913 and is it ready to drink?

Anyone who got a green cap CPA this is my side swap pale ale, ready to drink, used recultured coopers yeast so feel free to enjoy bright or cloudy.
White cap IPA is my swap beer from the previous easter swap, ready to drink.
Plain black cap coopers bottle is a two can stout, two t othree months old. Probably best to let age a few more months, currently very low carb level.

Cheers
Jason

Fatgodzilla what was your 913 and is it ready to drink?

Anyone who got a green cap CPA this is my side swap pale ale, ready to drink, used recultured coopers yeast so feel free to enjoy bright or cloudy.
White cap IPA is my swap beer from the previous easter swap, ready to drink.
Plain black cap coopers bottle is a two can stout, two t othree months old. Probably best to let age a few more months, currently very low carb level.

Cheers
Jason

913 is an altbier - 47% vienna 38% munich 10% melanoiden 5% crystal 60L, tettnang, on german ale (whitelabs kolsch yeast). One's I had were nice, drink now ! Should pour with large dense head.

I got both the CPA and the IPA so put in fridge and will taste hopefully tonight Jason.

FGZ

Guys, I tried one of mine last night and it seems its been colder in my garage than I thought and it isn't quite carbed up yet. maybe give it another week in a warm place.

Edit: bottled back in june so lets call it conditioning time. once carbed should be ready to rock.

No worries Ian, they are in the fridge aready, was just waiting to see what they were, I'll probably have one tonight too.
Had your s/4 brown porter on monday night from last swap though, nice!

I have a bunch of notes from last swap to type up when I get around to it.

Also got some 1056 yeast (cheers gruntus) so making up a starter tonight to get the cube of "altbier" (ameican amber I think we changed to on the day) going friday.

Cheers
Jason.

Mine is a Bo Pils & is ready to drink. Pretty standard recipe (pils & saz) with a tub of Paddys lager yeast (thanks Gerard). I thought I updated the wiki but cant find the link to it now to check ...

Mine is a Bo Pils & is ready to drink. Pretty standard recipe (pils & saz) with a tub of Paddys lager yeast (thanks Gerard). I thought I updated the wiki but cant find the link to it now to check ...

Wiki

Doesn't look like your entry has been updated yet...

913 is an altbier - 47% vienna 38% munich 10% melanoiden 5% crystal 60L, tettnang, on german ale (whitelabs kolsch yeast). One's I had were nice, drink now ! Should pour with large dense head.

Had one last night while watching SWMBO catch up soccer game.

I liked it, nice and dry finish, very enjoyable. I did take some notes but not too detailed, I'll have the other tonight and get a proper report up.

I got both the CPA and the IPA so put in fridge and will taste hopefully tonight Jason.

FGZ

How'd we go?

Drinking advice on the wiki article or hit the tasting thread from here on in gentleman.

Will get confusing otherwise.

:)

especially when under the influence of swap beers :p

Its in the fridge for tonight. Looking forward to my first swap beer. Ill let you know how it goes.

cheers
Andrew.

23. redb - Bo Pils

Open the bottle with a quite pst. Pours a pale gold with a very slight (chill?) haze. Aroma is malty with floral and a slight hint of green apple. Carb is low. Flavour is more floral than the nose suggests with good supporting malt. Bitterness is well balanced with the body. Apple comes through as it warms a bit. Quite a nice pils, I think its just a bit young. Thanks RB.

Cheers
Andrew

Bizier's Ming's Myrceness US IPA

Wow. A huge hop hit here. A pale beer with a good head, slight haze (hop haze? :lol: ). A strong grapefruit hop smell even on opening the bottle. The taste is definitely grapefruit with a slowly burning hop bitterness which increases if anything in the aftertaste. Clean, with no big malt flavour either. This beer is all about the hops and it really delivers. Great presence without harshness though, which is certainly possible with Chinook, but that might be due to them being homegrown. I really enjoyed this beer and my wife (who's a real hop head) said could I brew something like this. :chug:

Cheers Stu.

I am just drinking one now and I thought it tastes a little green, so I have updated the wiki to drink after the 15th again.

ED: I should have gone JW Pale over the TF MO :)

Back