2009 Nsw Xmas In July Tasting Notes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must say I didn't get a beer in this swap that I didn't enjoy. For me though the stand out would have to be gulpas amber ale. I wouldnt mind replicating this beer if you don't mind sharing the recipe...

Thanks Damien, I was pretty happy with how it turned out. Ive been slack, I will get the recipe up sometime this week.

Regards
Andrew.

I agree, that was a fantastically balanced beer and I would also like to see the recipe Andrew. I tried another recently from Vitalstatistix's lot and while it was still good, it had oxidised a lot, and the hops really had initial their edge missing.

Recipe for my amber ale is as follows (im not putting this in the DB cos its a PITA to use):

50L batch
OG 1.054
IBU 34

Ale - Maris Otter Malt (TF) 9kg - 78.3%
Biscuit 1kg - 8.7%
Carared Malt (Weyermann) 1kg - 8.7%
Aromatic Malt (Dingemans) 0.3kg - 2.6%
Crystal Malt Dark (Bairds) 0.1kg - 0.9%
Caraaroma Malt (Weyermann) 0.1kg - 0.9%

Amarillo Hops 25 8.6 90min
Challenger 25 7.9 90min
Amarillo Hops 25 8.6 10min
Challenger 25 7.9 10min
Cascade 25 6.3 10min
Amarillo Hops 25 8.6 0min
Cascade 65 6.3 0min
Cascade 100 6.3 dry hops

Mashed at 66 degrees
Wyeast 1056

Now the hard bit is I added 1.5L of under attenuated porter at bottling to add a bit more colour (I had to get rid of the porter somehow ;) ). I dont think it had that much impact on flavour, I had some bottles without this addition and the hops were a touch brighter. I dont think it would be bad thing to omit, just the colour will be borderline pale/amber.

Cheers,
Andrew

Gotta get into these before the next swap!!

Beer: 19. Barls - Kels special honey ginger beer
Date: 20th October 2009
Details: 750ml twisttop bottle. yellow cap, 4.3%

Notes:
Served chilled in pint glass.

Hazy orange body, reasonably effervescent looking

Plenty of ginger spice on the nose. Add in a bit of sweet honey with subtle floral notes and underlying cereal maltiness, and it smells quite nice indeed.

Carbonation is lively but not sharp, good thickness too the body, not too well attenuated but not too rich/sweet.

Sweetness kicks in on the body, hint of cereal malts adds to it. Ginger flavour is full and spicy, honey comes through later on with flowery and vanillary undertones. Finishhes medium dry, slight ginger warmth, and suggestion of hop bitterness.

Nice refreshing, flavoursome, well-made ginger beer. Cheers Barls, a keg of this would be awesome for the summer!

Gotta get into these before the next swap!!

Beer: 19. Barls - Kels special honey ginger beer
Date: 20th October 2009
Details: 750ml twisttop bottle. yellow cap, 4.3%

Notes:

Hazy orange body, reasonably effervescent looking

Plenty of ginger spice on the nose. Add in a bit of sweet honey with subtle floral notes and underlying cereal maltiness, and it smells quite nice indeed.

Carbonation is lively but not sharp, good thickness too the body, not too well attenuated but not too rich/sweet.

Sweetness kicks in on the body, hint of cereal malts adds to it. Ginger flavour is full and spicy, honey comes through later on with flowery and vanillary undertones. Finishhes medium dry, slight ginger warmth, and suggestion of hop bitterness.

Nice refreshing, flavoursome, well-made ginger beer. Cheers Barls, a keg of this would be awesome for the summer!

+1 for a positive endorsement but not keen to rush into mass production. I found it too sweet by the end of a longneck - this would be great in a stubby as a one off drink at either the beginning or end of a session.

Beer: 7. Bizier - Ming's Myrceness US IPA
Date: 21th October 2009
Details: 750ml twisttop bottle. gold cap "7", ~7%abv

Notes:

I'm presented with a hazy orange body with a sturdy, creamy white foam sitting atop and clinging on.

Quite pungent aroma of hops. Lots of grapefruit and lemon zest, pine woodiness and grass, stonefruits and spice...I could go on sniffing but I really wanna drink this nectar.

Brutally big bodied; thick with plenty of drying bitter hop oomph to let you know who's boss. Carbonation is relatively low, adding some creaminess to the palate.

Plenty more hop driven bitter citrus rind and spicy woodiness smack me in the face, on the body. I get an incling of caramel malt sweetness in the works, but it's brutalised by an aggressive lingering bitter leafiness and subtle drying alcohol presense.

Big bold brutal AIPA! Would give many of the genuine articles a run for their money that's for sure. Ripper of a drop Biz, i'll be tasting these hops for a couple of days!

Beer: 14. Monkeybusiness - APA
Date: 22nd October 2009
Details: 750ml twisttop bottle. gold cap "14", ~5%

Notes:

Orangey-gold body, slight hazy. Small white cap hangs around the top.

Some malt sweetness on the nose; biscuity, caramelly. Fruity hops also in there; ripe mango and stonefruit, tropical fruits even; not the typical citrus/pine American hop affair.

Reasonably active carbonation, body is full and quite syrup, unexpectedly so.

Body of caramel maltiness acts as a backbone for zesty hop notes of bitter citrus, ripe tropical fruit and leafy spice, the latter lingering on the finish. Decent bitterness, dries out a fair bit.

Approachable APA, has quite a familiar sort of flavour to it but I can't put my finger on it. Either way, nice stuff MB, cheers!

Beer: 17. jonw - Pooch Drool. American Brown
Date: 22nd October 2009
Details: 750ml twisttop bottle. green cap "17", ~4%

Notes:

Bit of a gush with this one. Eventually dies down a thick offwhite creamy on top of a deep lively amber body.

Faint florally, citrusy hops on the nose. Some bready maltiness in there too, but nothing too prominant.

Lively carbonation, luckily not as much as I originally anticipated. Body is medium-to-lean yet has a decent chewy thickness about it which I always find enjoyable in dark ales.

Becomes more alive on the body, flavours busting out all over the shop; molasses, orange, liquorice, leafy hop, dark grain bread, dried fruit. Finishes medium-dry, lingering spicy bread note and decent bitterness.

I found this quite enjoyable, though the initial carbonation probably put me off a slight bit. Thanks JonW, cheers!

Got through a couple more...

Beer: 2. RetsamHsam - Doppelbock
Date: 23rd October 2009
Details: 750ml twisttop bottle. gold cap "2", 7.5%

Notes:

Small but persistant and dense creamy beige head sits atop a deep bronze body.

Light aroma, some rich toffeeish/brown sugary malts detectable, as well as dark and dried fruits.

Rich bodied, almost velvet-like consistency, reasonably low carbonation. Alcohol is quite well masked.

Plenty of rich burnt toffee malts add sweetness to the body. Hints of nut and chocolate in the works, as well as subtle dried fruits. Finishes with a slight roasty dryness, and mild alcohol warmth.

I do love a good doppelbock, and this is no exception; rich and flavourful yet clean and balanced. Cheers Rets, very tasty brew!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beer: 13. Troy Dack - Belgian Golden Strong
Date: 25th October 2009
Details: 660ml(whoops!) crownseal bottle. red cap "13", ~6.4%, bottled 05 JUL 09

Notes:

Copper body with a bit of cloudiness. Offwhite foam is reasonably tight and persistant.

Quite sweet aroma with nice Belgian yeast character; ripe plum, vanilla, clove, pepper. Biscuity malt underneath, no alcohol thus far.

Carbonation is quite low, smooth almost syrupy consistency with a good amount of weight about it overall.

Biscuity malt body, some dark brown sugar in there. More plums and berries, vanilla, pepper and spice. Finishes with a mild bitterness, not particularly dry.

I'd say this could almost pass as a Belgian pale ale, certainly has the right colour and flavour. Anyway, I reckon this was very tasty and balanced beer. Good work Troy!

Finally finished them off during the week. Sorry for the giant post!

Beer: 6. nifty - some sort of stout
Date: 26th October 2009
Details: 750ml screwtop bottle. goldcap cap "13", bottled 5/7/2009, 5.3%, Wyeast 1469.

Notes:

Pretty much opaque near-black body, small layer of thick tan head.

Light notes of roasted malt on the nose; espresso and cocoa. Hint of soy/vegemite in the background.

Thick, smooth texture, almost creamy (is this an oatmeal stout?) with a lowish sort of carbonation and decent weight about it.

More cocoa on the body, notes of bitter espresso and woody charcoal roastiness. Salty towards the finish, hint of cereals and bread, finishes particularly dry with a lingering coffee-like bitterness.

No-nonsense dry sort of stout. Reminds me a bit of Guinness Extra (the bottled authentic Irish one). Very nice Nifty, I could drink alot of this!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beer: 11. Insight - AIPA, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale clone
Details: 750ml screwtop bottle. goldcap cap "11", 6.8%. Bottled 19/07/09

Notes:

I'm confronted by a deep copperish bronze body with a beige foam that rises out of the glass like some sort of souffle.

Big resiny hop aroma; orange candy, pine sap, summer flowers. Rich underlying malt presense of caramel, biscuity and honey.

Moderate carbonation, big sticky malt texture that just hangs on the tongue for a good long while.

Oh yeah, this stuff is nectar! Lucious honey and caramel sweetness sets the backbone for resiny hop flavours of grass, pine, bitter orange and ripe stonefruits. Finish is very smooth with an assertive yet well intergrated bitterness.

Wow, this totally blew me away! For a beer of 6.8%, it carries the weight of a much stronger beer without the abbrassive alcohol that you can often get. Bloody awesome Insight, thanks a million!

Beer: 20. Gruntus - Not so Sparkling Ale
Details: 750ml screwtop bottle. goldcap cap "20"

Notes:

Loud opening, but no gush. Pours a particularly clear golden body with soapy white foam.

Slightly malty nose; bit of cereal, possibly wheat, bready yeast, hints of banana-like esters, and minerally spice.

Good carbonation, medium bodied, drying mouth sensation.

Light, grainy malt flavour upfront. Subdued floral hop and fruitiness in there. Restrained bitterness and lingering metallic bready note on the finish.

Even by bottles end, i'm guinuinely suprised how clear this beer is, good stuff. The beer itself is not bad, possibly could use a bit more hops to lift the palate and add some more bitterness, but easily drinkably otherwise. Cheers Gruntus!

Beer: 16. andrew.gaul - Some Sorta Porter
Date: 27th October 2009
Details: 750ml screwtop bottle. goldcap cap "16" bottled on 19/07/2009

Notes:

Deep brown body with ruby highlights. Small tan foam sits atop.

Not too much on the nose. Nutty malts, bit of toffee and meaty roast malt character. Possibly a hint of earthy hop.

Medium bodied, carbonation is restrained and welcoming, slight oily texture.

Toffee sweetness upfront, nice nuttiness and dark grain bread quality about it. Mild roast flavours of liquorice and charred meat. Finishes faintly spicy and minerally, moderate bitterness and a hint of dark fruit.

Highly quaffable dark ale. Should really make myself something like this, would you like to share the recipe, Andrew? Cheers!

Beer: 9. Thommo - Belgian Ale
Date: 29th October 2009
Details: 750ml screwtop bottle. goldcap cap "9" WLP550

Notes:

Copper-gold body, bit of haze, small tight white head sits atop.

Pleasant nose, seems to have a bit of everything; honeyish malts, doughy yeast, hint of vanilla and spice, nice floral grassy hop edge to it.

Quite lively carbonation adds a creaminess to the palate. Medium bodied, pretty dry.

Nice bit of honey and vanilla on the body. Clove spices in the works, bit of ripe pear fruitiness and light hop citrus. Clean bitter finish.

The more of this style try, the more I enjoy it. God I wish more beers like this were on the market! Great beer Thommo, cheers!

Gibbo: Just wondering what the extract was for in your IPA recipe. Is it for bottling or was your gravity short of the target?

Ahh, took me a while to remember, but i didn't actually use any in the recipe, what that is from is when i was concerned at first that it would be too bitter after some early tastings so i was considering adding some late ldme to balance it out a bit more, but i never went through with it and as the yeast settled it balanced out just right. I must have copy pasted it without noticing.

In short, ignore the extract.

I did bottle with extract though.

Thanks for that. Have this down to brew once I have moved house. And maybe got a bigger pot...

I just chucked the rest of these in the fridge with a list telling me what they are. I have been busy, and there are a few last beers that have suffered as a consequence.

Drinking your Kolsh now Fatz...
Good. A touch of sulphur on the nose, but not overwhelming, spicy hops coming through. Clean, crisp and dry, which is nice. Surprisingly bitter, but not overly so. Has a nice bready pilsner malt backbone. A very flavourful and refreshing beer.

Redbeard, I had your Bo Pils earlier this weekend, and while it was very nice, I had sat on it for too long, there was just a flatness to it. I am very sorry I did not drink this in it's prime (or store it cold).

13. Troy Dack - Belgian Golden Strong
I think that this was yours, Bruno with a green cap?
Regardless, great stuff, dry finish with fruity esters, some banana and perhaps apple. Just going from memory though.

Barls - Ginger beer
I thought that this was well made, but it is a fair way from my cup of tea. I am interested to know how you sweetened it. It was very balanced, had a detectable light malt base, which was interesting.

Vitalstatistix's porter
I smashed this last night and really enjoyed it, balanced towards sweet, but very balanced and very drinkable. I prefer a little more bite from roasted grain, but this is a very good beer.

Nifty stout
I am drinking this now. Has a sweet little caramel / treacle thing on the nose which is nice, supported by a light sweet bready thing like brioche. There is also a little warm alcohol on a swirl. The balance is very interactive, if I can say that. It has enough sweetness to balance a firm bitterness that hangs well into the finish and lingers along with some roast astringency. The carbonation vs thickness on the start of the palate and drying at the back of the palate is frickin' great. I get some creamy nutty flavours that are fantastic and mix well with biscuity malt. I find a little flat spot that I can't describe, but it has caused me to drink a pint just searching, so great job Nifty.

i didnt sweeten it thats just how it comes out in the end with the grain base and the yeast, the recipe is somewhere in this thread if your interested

i didnt sweeten it thats just how it comes out in the end with the grain base and the yeast, the recipe is somewhere in this thread if your interested

I brewed Barl's recipe a month ago and used SO4 instead of the kit yeast. It finished up at 1002 and still had a nice sweetness to it. I reckon its the honey.

cheers

grant

Latest posts

Back